The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

Everyone else said no.

Wouldnt it be cheaper and better to offer these single males training in areas we have shortages like HGV driving and trades etc? Surely that’s the everybody wins scenario?

The policy is intended to act as a deterrent.

If it is widely known that anyone who crosses the channel gets training and a job as a HGV driver in incentivises more people to take a risk in getting to the U.K. that way to get that deal.

It is entirely possible to run a humanitarian immigration program in parallel to a deterrent program. You could set a number of people you are willing to take and train as HGV drivers etc each year and at the same time anyone who attempts to bypass the humanitarian program and cross the channel on their own would end up in the deterrent scheme. 

The argument would then be around how generous the humanitarian program should be in terms of numbers and benefits and how punitive the concurrent ‘deterrent’ program is. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Do you reckon I could apply for this, take the £1m and then apply to live somewhere in the EU, US, Canada or Australia?

Maybe I could initially fly to France then return via a small boat. It might cost a little up front but worthwhile in the long run.

Edited by Genie

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

577-CDB2-C-0-C07-4431-9212-F23-BFEB84-B3

38% support, I actually thought it would be higher

Really not sure on the question. How does flying people to Rwanda “prevent illegal channel crossings”?

Surely it’ll just make people less likely to declare themselves to UK authorities when they get here, asylum claim or not?

They’ll still come because the legal routes to them have been closed. The illegal ones remain open it’s only now that the consequences of being caught or declaring themselves are a spell on Rwandan dachau.

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

Really not sure on the question. How does flying people to Rwanda “prevent illegal channel crossings”?

Surely it’ll just make people less likely to declare themselves to UK authorities when they get here, asylum claim or not?

They’ll still come because the legal routes to them have been closed. The illegal ones remain open it’s only now that the consequences of being caught or declaring themselves are a spell on Rwandan dachau.

If it does get up and running, I expect plenty will find their way back to a small boat on the channel for a second crack at it, but with a family in tow.

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The policy is intended to act as a deterrent.

Yep. It's to deter us from talking about parties and fines. 

Seems it's a very effective deterrent. 

Edited by choffer
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Straggler said:

What an irredeemable word removed.

This post resulted in my rank on this website going up to rising star. I can only assume you get extra points for calling Boris a word removed.

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I'm not sure what the answer is, don' think it's this. But when our local 5 star hotel, (amongst many others) where my pal got married is now closed, full of asylum seekers, there is something seriously wrong.

Yeah, it's called a lack of housing stock being built. Not too any asylum seekers looking to better their lives.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jones1328 said:

Yeah, it's called a lack of housing stock being built. Not too any asylum seekers looking to better their lives.

I realise there's a housing shortage, but I'm unsure we should be upping the rate of builds to house asylum seekers. Like I said it needed much better control, but that's not our job.

21 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not sure what the answer is, don' think it's this. But when our local 5 star hotel, (amongst many others) where my pal got married is now closed, full of asylum seekers, there is something seriously wrong.

Do you not think those asylum seekers would much prefer to be in their own home?

• Like 2

Â