Group A: Paris St-Germain, Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Malmo

Group B: PSV Eindhoven, Man Utd, CSKA Moscow, Wolfsburg

Group C: Benfica, Atletico Madrid, Galatasaray, Astana,

Group D: Juventus, Man City, Sevilla, Borussia Monchengladbach

Group E: Barcelona, Bayer Leverkusen, Roma, BATE Borisov

Group F: Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Olympiakos, Dinamo Zagreb

Group G: Chelsea, Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Maccabi Tel-Aviv

Group H: Zenit Saint Petersburg, Valencia, Lyon, Gent

Ah 32 teams and how many won their league championships?  Crap tournament that highlights everything wrong with modern football, like previous seasons I won't be watching any of it

Ah 32 teams and how many won their league championships? Crap tournament that highlights everything wrong with modern football, like previous seasons I won't be watching any of it
Neither will I but due to the fact I don't have BT Sport.

Arsenal will get either Bayern or Barca.

City will get Juventus.

United will get PSV.

Okay, two possibilities, either you are genuinely clairvoyant, in which case please PM me the numbers for EuroMillions this weekend, or you've somehow sneaked a look at this and it was all rigged beforehand. Whatever, you can consider me very impressed. 

:lol:

Manure always get the easiest team every year, City always get a team they are capable of beating but always struggle and Arsenal have had either Bayern or Barca every year.

The draw is rigged imo.

Edited by Bradd92

Ah 32 teams and how many won their league championships?  Crap tournament that highlights everything wrong with modern football, like previous seasons I won't be watching any of it

If that's your main complaint, it the competition were more along the lines of HJK Helsinki vs Dundalk or Hibernians vs Stjarnan you would be more inclined to watch?

Because I expect that you'd be in the minority. 

If that's your main complaint, it the competition were more along the lines of HJK Helsinki vs Dundalk or Hibernians vs Stjarnan you would be more inclined to watch?

It's a fair point.

But that's the problem imo.

The original European cup was the winners of each league competing against each other. That's the ultimate test. Not only did you have to be good enough to win your league one year, you had to be good enough to beat all the other league winners the year after.

That's what made it so hard. I can't be arsed to work it out, but I'd love to know how many of the "Champions League" winners wouldn't have even qualified for the competition under the previous format.

So I understand your point. The way they do it now captures what more people want to see. But that's every thing wrong with football. It's all about money. 

If they seeded the FA Cup so that all the big teams met in the latter rounds it would be for the same reason, because more people will watch it then. But I'd **** hate it if they did that.

• Like 2

If it was only the winners it would be a bit rubbish wouldn't it? There would only be about 3 teams who could win it realistically each year.

By having several teams from the bigger football nations it makes it far more exciting and open.

My only complaint about the current format is the title. It should go back to being the European Cup

Edited by Genie

Agree totally with Stevo.

There are only 3 teams who can win it realistically this season and two of them are Spanish.

How do you envisage the competition being stronger and solving your issue of only three teams being realistically able to win it, by taking out most of the other strong teams and replacing them with much, much weaker teams? 

• Like 1

I could scarcely care less for this competition. The only thing I want is for the English sides to do really badly.

This, as the kids say these days.

It's a fair point.

But that's the problem imo.

The original European cup was the winners of each league competing against each other. That's the ultimate test. Not only did you have to be good enough to win your league one year, you had to be good enough to beat all the other league winners the year after.

That's what made it so hard. I can't be arsed to work it out, but I'd love to know how many of the "Champions League" winners wouldn't have even qualified for the competition under the previous format.

So I understand your point. The way they do it now captures what more people want to see. But that's every thing wrong with football. It's all about money. 

If they seeded the FA Cup so that all the big teams met in the latter rounds it would be for the same reason, because more people will watch it then. But I'd **** hate it if they did that.

And if this Utopian way of doing things were adopted, who would it benefit?

Unless I've misunderstood, you don't actually seem to want to watch (for example) the Slovakian champions play the Welsh champions. Or even a possible quarter final (based on the UEFA coefficients) - the Belgian champions against the Swiss champions, so it doesn't seem to benefit those who would support this change. The bigger teams wouldn't want it, the smaller teams wouldn't want it, the supporters of all those teams wouldn't want it, the players wouldn't want it, the neutral wouldn't want it...

So apart from "well, that was how it used to be", there doesn't seem to be any compelling argument to go back to how it was. 

Incidentally, the FA Cup is seeded so that all the big teams meet in the latter rounds. That's why we're joining in the third round, after eight rounds of fixtures have already been played. More rounds had already taken place by the time we joined the competition last year than we ended up playing in to get to the Final.

Love these ridiculous draws Man. City get every year, Sevilla were certainly the best side in pot 3 and 'Gladbach have started the season poorly but playing a German side is never easy for an english team in europe.

Byes for the three, Arsenal get Olympiakos every year don't they?

It's the fourth time in six years they have been drawn together.  Says more about how closed a shop the Champions League is than anything else really. 

The European Cup being for champions only would mean the UEFA Cup would be a great competion again and also bring back the Cup Winners Cup. If the neutral who never gets off his arse to go to a game and watches it on TV is offended so what!? I would not dream of telling other sports how to manage their competitions. It is getting repetive now and I think BT will realise people won't pay to watch it. I can't think of one person that has paid for their service for that reason. It's the foreign rights that may see them break even not the UK market.

• Like 3