Aaron Lennon

joshharris12

I would prefer a player on the way up  as opposed to one on the way down.

Montero is the sort I agree, some must be out there.

I would prefer Albrighton to Lennon.....but I can't see Levy wanting to sell us cold chips.

As long as he's as happy signing for us as he was for Everton on loan, then i'm happy

9437150-large.jpg

The epitome of happiness ;)

Ha ha, imagine him and Senderlols together, misery utd.

I think £5m for Lennon would be great business, and would add another attacking option. Win/win for me.

Aaron%20and%20Philippes%20big%20day%20ou

Won front row seats for the relaunch of Smiler?

• Like 2

Don't need him.

We already have Gabby, Ayew, Grealish, Sinclair & Gil who can play wide / forward. I suppose it gives us options for playing 442, but still not a priority for me.

We need a genuine winger. Grealish and Gil are suited to wider roles only in a narrow set-up. Ayew had the only half-decent season of his career playing as a forward. Sinclair is a decent goalscorer but doesn't create much and Gabby is crap.

Yesterday we played a 4-5-1 for the most part I thought - the wide players doubling with the full-backs in the defensive phases.

I should clarify/elaborate We do need Lennon in order to give us options when playing 442. But to my mind, this isn't a formation that really suits us. Our strongest area is perhaps now central midfield, and the 3 that started yesterday have a lot of potential to do very well for us. We have options to bring Sanchez or Gil in to give us more strength defensively/offensively. We also have the fullbacks needed to provide us with enough width to supply our forward line. Beyond this we have also 4 or 5 players who excel in the inside forward position, but not the traditional 442 winger role (basically all of our attacking players). Now it would be a good option to bring Lennon in to play wide right, but then we'd still need to shoehorn someone into left midfield. Therefore I think a centre back and central striker are far more pressing concerns at the moment.

Imagine a 442 line up with Lennon, You're immediately omitting 5 from Grealish, Ayew, Westwood, Sinclair, Gil, Sanchez and Gabby. It'd be a nice bench though.

• Like 1

I would prefer a player on the way up as opposed to one on the way down.

I would prefer Albrighton to Lennon.....but I can't see Levy wanting to sell us cold chips.

Whilst he may not be spurs choice I would hardly say he is at an age where he is on his way down.

• Like 1

Whilst he may not be spurs choice I would hardly say he is at an age where he is on his way down.

Shaun Wright Phillips and Kevin Phillips. Age is nothing to do with it.

In isolation its not.....But did they get better after Man City and Sunderland respectively, don't think Kevin Phillips was a winger either.

I just happen to think Lennons best years are behind him.

I also think, it generally applies to wingers more so than other positions as there is more reliance on speed and other positions can benefit from the reading of the game, which by definition lends itself to more mature players.

Wingers need to be effervescent and lively....I am not totally opposed to Lennon, but I think there is younger ones out there that could be better for us.

• Like 2

In isolation its not.....But did they get better after Man City and Sunderland respectively, don't think Kevin Phillips was a winger either.

I just happen to think Lennons best years are behind him.

I also think, it generally applies to wingers more so than other positions as there is more reliance on speed and other positions can benefit from the reading of the game, which by definition lends itself to more mature players.

Wingers need to be effervescent and lively....I am not totally opposed to Lennon, but I think there is younger ones out there that could be better for us.

Good post, i think you make some good points

• Like 1

Well, if he was first choice at one period of his career and he is not now....further more he gets put out on loan at 28 which is not commensurate with developing the player.

....I am not really sure how else i can describe it.

I should clarify/elaborate We do need Lennon in order to give us options when playing 442. But to my mind, this isn't a formation that really suits us. Our strongest area is perhaps now central midfield, and the 3 that started yesterday have a lot of potential to do very well for us. We have options to bring Sanchez or Gil in to give us more strength defensively/offensively. We also have the fullbacks needed to provide us with enough width to supply our forward line. Beyond this we have also 4 or 5 players who excel in the inside forward position, but not the traditional 442 winger role (basically all of our attacking players). Now it would be a good option to bring Lennon in to play wide right, but then we'd still need to shoehorn someone into left midfield. Therefore I think a centre back and central striker are far more pressing concerns at the moment.

Imagine a 442 line up with Lennon, You're immediately omitting 5 from Grealish, Ayew, Westwood, Sinclair, Gil, Sanchez and Gabby. It'd be a nice bench though.

I see what you mean but you can play orthodox wingers in formations other than 4-4-2. Like 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, even 4-3-3. Swansea are a good reference.

So it'd be good to have that option although hopefully a winger with end-product, i.e. not Lennon.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

I see what you mean but you can play orthodox wingers in formations other than 4-4-2. Like 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, even 4-3-3. So it'd be good to have that option although hopefully a winger with end-product, i.e. not Lennon.
All true, I just think we have options for those other formations. Yes Lennon would be a nice addition to these options. It's just some way down the pecking order.

Wingers have always been an "Old Chesnut".....do you play them, do you,don't you?

Alf Ramsey in his ultimate wisdom thought of them as inefficient and went on to create history omitting them.

I believe to play 2 wingers with any chance you must have good dominant centre midfield players.

We all love wingers, they are exciting, but they must be able to beat a man fairly regularly and when they do, they need to be able to cross a ball.

how many do we all know that could do one but not the other.

Tony Morley was exceptional....now if we could find one of them, i'd be all for it.....mind you it would help with a Bremner and a Mortimer in midfield.

• Like 1

Not surprised if true. Given his age he would most likely want to secure a permanent contract as it would most likely be his last big one.

The only reason you wouldn't go on loan is if you thought your stock would fall lower and influence your next contract. If he believed in himself he'd go out on loan and interest several clubs into offering him a deal when his current one expires.

Sounds like one to avoid if he thinks doing nothing for a year is the best opton.

• Like 3

He'd be a useful player to have if he did come but I'd rather we didn't sign anyone else from Spuds while Levy is there. Especially ones who don't want to come.

• Like 1

Not surprised if true. Given his age he would most likely want to secure a permanent contract as it would most likely be his last big one.

The only reason you wouldn't go on loan is if you thought your stock would fall lower and influence your next contract. If he believed in himself he'd go out on loan and interest several clubs into offering him a deal when his current one expires.

Sounds like one to avoid if he thinks doing nothing for a year is the best opton.

....absolutely spot on

another meal ticket me thinks....its taken us long enough to get rid of these sorts.

Edited by TRO

Â