Money - Making it and saving it

PongRiddims

lol that's nearly half my salary.

what the **** do you do? Shoot Dodo's?

My salary goes on bills and day to day costs for the family. My wife's total salary is allocated for holidays and days out.

We dont buy expensive cars or the latest gadgets, so my salary is adequate for the day to day.

some people on here must be on some bloody money. i think finding the right balance between saving and spending is the key as you only live once so try to have fun but in same sense its nice to have a bit hidden away. my goal is when im 60 id like to at least say well i still need to work but i dont have to worry about working twelve months of the year, so part time or just working when i choose would be great but in an ideal world id like to be retired by 60. i could be dead next week though so who knows what will happen.

lol that's nearly half my salary.

what the **** do you do? Shoot Dodo's?

My salary goes on bills and day to day costs for the family. My wife's total salary is allocated for holidays and days out.

We dont buy expensive cars or the latest gadgets, so my salary is adequate for the day to day.

Neither do i.

We don't even have a house computer or laptop or anything lol.

Phones, i have a playstation with 3 games.

#bigspenders

• 8 months later...

£7 free of future Amazon order by buying gift cards.

1) Click on link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=6969867031&ref=gc_assoc_janb30g7?tag=moneysavingex-21

2) Click "check if you qualify" icon.   You will qualify if you haven't bought gift cards previously.

3) Buy £30 (minimum) of Gift cards 

4) Get £7 voucher emailed to you to spend on your next purchase.

5) Spend the £30 gift cards anytime in the next 10 years,

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Well you would have to buy and pay for £600,000 worth of gift cards first. :o

I'd done fat fingers and put one zero too many , so it's only £60k now  :) 

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

In fairness that's probably about my annual spend on Amazon in comics films and music, seems a bargain.

yeah same ..makes Amazon Prime seem waaaaay to cheap when you total up all the free next day deliveries

• 4 months later...

Grown up post alert...

What are peoples plans for a decent retirement? As my post earlier in the thread touched upon, I don't want to be working until I'm 60. So, I need to do something that is going to keep me ticking over until my work pension kicks in, which although will be reasonable, is not going to be enough to keep me living the way I want to. Pensions aren't what they used to be!

My plan is investing property. Is that still the safest option? Or am I missing something? 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Grown up post alert...

What are peoples plans for a decent retirement? As my post earlier in the thread touched upon, I don't want to be working until I'm 60. So, I need to do something that is going to keep me ticking over until my work pension kicks in, which although will be reasonable, is not going to be enough to keep me living the way I want to. Pensions aren't what they used to be!

My plan is investing property. Is that still the safest option? Or am I missing something? 

I plan to be working up till 70 at least, if it has kept that old goat Ellis alive through his brain being active then their must be some logic in it.

I think the advice will vary from person to person around what to do, if you are investing in a property portfolio then Cambridge and Oxford are probably your best bets as posh kids who have been sent to private school by rich mummy and daddy and achieved the grades to go to Oxbridge, will have mummy and daddy happily shell out big bucks whether in rental or purchase outright for their little darling to attend arguably the top reputable universities in the world which those 2 have and most probably always will be.

Oxford and Cambridge? Those people have standards. Buy property up north and be a slum lord. :D 

I gather that buy to let isn't going to be very lucrative with the new tax rules coming in next year. It will be a lot less profitable, and a lot more risky.

I don't have a better plan though, really. My mortgage will hopefully be gone by the time I'm 40 enabling a couple of decades of very low expenditure while still earning, and I'm sticking a bunch of cash in to index trackers

Edited by Davkaus

Moving to London for my current job has increased my savings considerably (x4) in just over a year - however with no prospect of being able to afford a viable property in the near term whilst pumping out £1,600 in rent per month is a real killer. Brexit may leave with me without a job, but at least I might be able to afford a 1-bedroom flat :P

23 minutes ago, jonno_2004 said:

Moving to London for my current job has increased my savings considerably (x4) in just over a year - however with no prospect of being able to afford a viable property in the near term whilst pumping out £1,600 in rent per month is a real killer. Brexit may leave with me without a job, but at least I might be able to afford a 1-bedroom flat :P

£1600?? I know rent is high in London but that seems steep. Where abouts are you living?

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Grown up post alert...

Pension, savings invested sensibly and a couple of properties. That's my plan.

Fingers crossed!

live my life and tick as many boxes and see as many places as i can by the time im 50, then calm down a bit, pay my mortgage off at 55, quit my job and do something i actually enjoy (always wanted to be an undertaker but for the money isnt great) do that until i cant be bothered anymore

if i can do everything i realistically ever wanted by 50 and then be debt free by 55 then my retirement and pension doesnt worry me too much, it'll be the slow drop in lifestyle between 50 and 60 that will be the hard bit

yep, did a week of it for my work experience, wanted to be a mortician but thats not an easy thing to get in to, so looked at going to school to learn embalming etc and the rewards for the job didnt look worth the expense

Â