Steve McClaren

I actually think this is a good appointment for them. I can't see them struggling next season. Predictably, some of my Geordie mates have written him off straight away. 

It all depends on the level of investment. Mclaren I'm not sure is the man tbh. He's been rewarded for failure at Derby. 

I agree, he can't maintain consistency over for a period of time . A la Pardew Mk.2 

Not sure how he will lead A pretty average Newcastle side to anything other than 10th at most. 

It all depends on the level of investment. Mclaren I'm not sure is the man tbh. He's been rewarded for failure at Derby. 

I agree, he can't maintain consistency over for a period of time . A la Pardew Mk.2 

Not sure how he will lead A pretty average Newcastle side to anything other than 10th at most. 

You'd think that would be enough for your average Geordie, but it's not. They honestly believe they should be challenging the top 4. Based purely on the fact they bottled the League a couple of time in the mid 90's.

His track record is a bit mixed. Success at Boro and Twente, failure at Wolfsburg and Forest and mixed at Derby with his last season having been in the top 2 for much of the season, failed to even make the playoffs. 

• Like 1

Middle of the road manager, the reaction against his appointment at villa was purely because we had visions of Benitez or ancelloti being manager. If we knew we would end up with McLeish I think the reaction would have been different.

Will be the man to bring a trophy back to Newcastle.

Bookmark it.

It will take them at least 2 more seasons to be eligible for the Johnstones Paint trophy.

• Like 2

I think he'll prove a well-paid scapegoat who will perpetuate the fans' denial and fantasy that their club is not filled with mercenary players who are inured to losing, and is run by an owner who can't bridge the financial gulf between his club and the elite, and has given up.

McClaren is especially well-qualified for this role and having enough personal quirks and foibles which offer the fans a lot of reasons to hate him when they inevitably decide he's not the man.

His performance in this respect was totally world class when he did the same job for the England fans.

He would have been ideal for the Villa job.

Â