Windows 10

Genie

I've been on Windows 10 for over a year with no issues, but I can understand how it can be rather annoying having it forced on you like it has been. The only thing I dislike is having to periodically check up on settings I turned off to make sure they didn't turn on again, but aside from that I'm a fan of Windows 10 but I'm also a big PC gamer so as all games switch to DX12 I'd need Windows 10 to play them so they got me regardless.

Yep my laptop upgraded to w10 without me asking it to the other day.

Don't worry, it's for your own good, it's so you have the latest and greatest, with regular feature and security patches, free forever on the last ever version of Windows, and absolutely nothing to do with wanting to harvest your data through their incredibly difficult to disable telemetry.

They're just scum, I won't be using any Microsoft products outside of work, their Win10 deployment strategy absolutely disgusts me, it's an all out assault on their users.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

They're just scum, I won't be using any Microsoft products outside of work, their Win10 deployment strategy absolutely disgusts me, it's an all out assault on their users.

We're working to remove it at work too.

They want some of that Google money but won't wait for people to organically provide them the information Google uses to generate cash so instead have resorted to the same tactics ransomware use. It's despicable. It nearly caught me out the other day was I'm a reasonably careful user.

On 11/03/2016 at 19:25, V01 said:

I honestly don't understand why someone with 7/8 hasn't already upgraded to 10. Have they taken away some features I've never heard of or something?

maybe some people have cracked software on their computers and dont want the hastle of getting it to work with windows 10

• 2 weeks later...

I like Windows 10 and recommend people upgrade, but I agree that their data collection policy stinks.

I've switched everything off and will be monitoring. For anyone upgrading, ensure you Google about Windows 10 privacy options so you can make the necessary amendments yourself.

25 minutes ago, V01 said:

Probably better off setting up a "clean" account, no info just a login etc.

It's still reporting back everything you do. Just wait until they start turning on the pay per use features. Then you can pay them to steal all your data. Even Facebook aren't that brazen.

• Like 1

my laptop decided to install WIndows 10 without permission.... just when i really needed to use my laptop at that point. Which took it out of action for the next hour whilst it all installed.

Had to do some important stuff on my phone instead which made it really tricky.

Really pissed me off.

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

my laptop decided to install WIndows 10 without permission.... just when i really needed to use my laptop at that point. Which took it out of action for the next hour whilst it all installed.

Had to do some important stuff on my phone instead which made it really tricky.

Really pissed me off.

So what are you going to do about it?

2 hours ago, limpid said:

So what are you going to do about it?

Nothing really.   I don't plan to roll back to Windows 8, i don't actually mind Windows 10 and would have upgraded to it at some point.

It was the that 1) it installed without my permission 2) installed when i really needed to use the laptop;  both which really annoyed me.

But now its done, what could i do? email Microsoft telling them i'm annoyed with them?

When they are prepared to do something like this to you, why would you continue using their products at all? You are now subject to their stealing and owning all of your content. I don't understand how that can be acceptable to anyone.

7 minutes ago, limpid said:

You are now subject to their stealing and owning all of your content

I share your dislike of them, but just to comment that many people don't create "content" on their computers and also that "stealing and owning" is something of an exaggeration.

But if a user uses a computer or tablet for browsing the interwebs, playing some music, looking at youtubes and travel Maps and similar, maybe plays some angry birds or whatever, then perhaps the only "content" they create is some e mails or photos and I'm far from convinced that Microsoft "steals and owns" those any more than (say) Google does if you were to use G mail to send a photo or e -mither.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I share your dislike of them, but just to comment that many people don't create "content" on their computers and also that "stealing and owning" is something of an exaggeration.

But if a user uses a computer or tablet for browsing the interwebs, playing some music, looking at youtubes and travel Maps and similar, maybe plays some angry birds or whatever, then perhaps the only "content" they create is some e mails or photos and I'm far from convinced that Microsoft "steals and owns" those any more than (say) Google does if you were to use G mail to send a photo or e -mither.

You have to consent to use Google. Also, they allow you to remove all your data (and yes, they actually, really do - they have enough users that a few leaving make no difference to them). By using Windows 10 you consent to Microsoft having and using your data in perpetuity, which is identical to them stealing and owning it, especially as they are implementing this without consent.

It's almost certainly a breach of the CMA but they own enough lobbyists to stop anything being pursued legally.

I don't understand the people who express annoyance at the way Windows 10 has been forced on them, but still go back for more.

37 minutes ago, limpid said:

Microsoft having and using your data in perpetuity, which is identical to them stealing and owning it

I accept parts of your general point, but the quoted part is completely untrue.

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

I accept parts of your general point, but the quoted part is completely untrue.

How so?

They've taken a copy of your data without consent. They've given themselves the right to use it as they see fit by their T&Cs. Therefore they own a copy of your data which they've stolen. You have no way to get this data removed nor returned.

It's untrue because the Windows and Microsoft T&Cs say:

"We collect content of your files and communications when necessary to provide you with the services you use. This includes: the content of your documents, photos, music or video you upload to a Microsoft service such as OneDrive. It also includes the content of your communications sent or received using Microsoft services..."

That's basically the very close to or the same as Google and Apple and all the others. Where we use their cloud stuff and e mail etc. they (cannot help but) collect content when necessary to provide the service - we basically send it to them. They do not hold or claim IPR or ownership over our content. They may not use it for any purpose other than the provision of their service to us. If we stop using their service they have and make no claim over the data. And the permission thing...

"because Windows is personal to you, we give you choices about the personal data we collect and how we use it."

sources of quoted stuff

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-gb/privacystatement

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/windows-privacy-faq

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows10privacy

I'd really rather not have to ever use anything to do with windows and microsoft ever again, (not least because it's taken about 40 minutes just to type this on a crappy win7 PC and enter it onto the site) but the stuff about stealing your (our) data and them owning it is utter bollocks.

I'm not really defending them as a Business, just having read through the T&Cs (more than just those quoted) I can't find any evidence for your claim at all.

• Like 1

Â