Windows 10

Genie

• 2 weeks later...

Those that have been using for a bit, is it worth jumping on from 8.1?

Its more of a why not issue. Its free and you get a functioning startmenu. I think its a good release personally Edited by Tegis

Its more of a why not issue. Its free and you get a functioning startmenu. I think its a good release personally
I use classic shell, my start menu is already fixed :)

That's enough of a recommendation, I'll get the install running this evening, ta ;)

Its more of a why not issue. Its free and you get a functioning startmenu. I think its a good release personally

That's enough of a recommendation, I'll get the install running this evening, ta ;)

I had classic she'll running on win8 and it worked fine.

Having 'upgraded'to windows 10 I can't really see much difference apart from a few glitchy lockups and they managed to make Internet Explorer even slower.

Having 'upgraded'to windows 10 I can't really see much difference apart from a few glitchy lockups and they managed to make Internet Explorer even slower.

Hmm, wish you'd have stayed on 8?

I upgraded from Windows 7 straight away, everything seemed slightly better until Wednesday when an automatic update broke my sound/speakers. I was livid, nearly missed out on a weeks worth of Sky Go viewing at work.

Had to disable the update service then run a system restore.

Hmm, wish you'd have stayed on 8?

To be honest I don't use my laptop that much so not overly fussed, but it was better before with win8 / classic shell.

I'm sure given a few more patches and updates it'll be back where it was.
  • Like 1

I upgraded from Windows 7 straight away, everything seemed slightly better until Wednesday when an automatic update broke my sound/speakers. I was livid, nearly missed out on a weeks worth of Sky Go viewing at work.

Had to disable the update service then run a system restore.

Sound stopped working from my speakers yesterday, but headphones worked fine. Thought I might as well turn updates back on, sound works today.

Haven't got clue if this is W10 related or not, no idea what's causing it.

Was wondering if someone  could help me with this browser issue with windows 10.I installed it and i have the edge microsoft browser which for some reason 

wont go to any site i try to find.I went to system and changed web browser to chrome and still nothing works?

I dont understand why but in the favorites on edge villa talk is on there and a few others so i click them and it goes straight to them without a problem which is

how im being able to come on here to ask this question.Its driving me nuts so be really gratefull if any vt'ers could help me out...VTID

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to make a Windows 10 recovery disk? 

I went through the recovery settings to make a back up and the only option was to make a Windows 7 recovery disk, even though I brought the machine with Win 8, All seems very strange.

Is it possible to make a Windows 10 recovery disk? 

I went through the recovery settings to make a back up and the only option was to make a Windows 7 recovery disk, even though I brought the machine with Win 8, All seems very strange.

Download it from Microsoft

Thank you Tegis.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm just in the middle of my upgrade and I'm a bit worried now as it has been stuck on a black screen with four blue tiles in the middle for about 45 minutes now and nothing seems to be happening.  

How long did it take you guys to complete the upgrade?  I'd post a photo from phone but the file size is to big 

• 4 weeks later...

Windows 10 will automatically download on to Windows 7 or 8 PCs

Microsoft’s efforts to entice users to upgrade to Windows 10 will soon see it automatically downloaded on to users computers without their knowledge.

The company announced that Windows 10 will become a “recommended update” starting next year, which means anyone with Windows 7 or 8 that has automatic updates activated – the default and the best way to keep a computer protected against security bugs – will have Windows 10 automatically downloaded without asking.

What’s more, the installer for Windows 10 will start once it has been downloading, presenting users with a popup. Users will be able to decline the update, once the installer has started, or prevent the update from being downloaded by manually blocking it in Windows update.

But the propensity of users to simply hit “OK” or accept when faced with a prompt in the middle of doing something else, will likely see users just blindly hit OK and unknowingly installing Windows 10, preventing access to the computer while the instalment completes.

Terry Myerson, executive vice president of Microsoft’s Windows and Devices group said: “If you choose to upgrade (our recommendation!), then you will have 31 days to roll back to your previous Windows version if you don’t love it.”

Windows 10 automatically downloads on to the computers of those running Windows 7 or 8 who have registered interest in the new version of Windows.

Optional first, recommended later

Windows 10 will imminently be upgraded to an “optional” update, which could also see it downloaded automatically if a user has manually set Windows update to automatically install optional updates as well as recommended updates.

While Windows 10 has seen good reviews and one of the best launches for a Windows version since Windows 98 in terms of compatibility with existing devices and software, automatic downloads may cause issues, particularly for those short of storage space or on metered internet connections.

“If you are on a metered connection on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, then you have the option of turning off automatic updates. We strongly discourage this in today’s connected world because of the constant risk of internet threats,” said Myerson.

The automatic Windows 10 download has been shown to take up between 3.5GB and 6GB on a user’s computer. Some metered connections provide as little as 40GB of data allowance a month. Some Windows 8 computers have as little as 32GB of storage space.

Should the user decline the installation of Windows 10 after it has been downloaded the update will not be automatically deleted, meaning it will sit on a user’s computer taking up storage space.

Windows 10, which is free when upgrading, had been installed on 75m computers by the end of August, accounting for 4.9% of desktop internet users according to data from web analytics firm StatCounter. Windows 7 still held a 48.1% share of global internet users.

Â