Windows 10

Genie

Are the updates still compulsory? I've had far too many FUBARed machines caused by Windows automatic updates to ever accept day 1 patches. I'll stick with 7 for now, if that's still the case.

How many more before you give up and use Linux?

There are honestly just too many games that don't run on Linux for me to give up on Windows entirely right now. I do have a Linux machine that I use for all games that have Linux ports (got to gain that market share, hoping the Steam machine gains momentum). Games don't seem to be stable enough on WINE for me to accept that as a compromise, and there are some big players that don't support Linux yet, that I can't give up entirely (the entire Blizzard catalog, for example).

If I didn't use my PC for gaming, I'd have no need for Windows though. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

I used to play WoW for years in Wine. I still run Eve Online in Wine. I don't buy games unless they run in Linux (native, PlayOnLinux, Steam, Wine). There's enough choice that I'm happy with that. I certainly wouldn't put up with Windows for a few games, but if you don't mind the forced wipes and updates which trash your OS, you're all good :)

I ran linux on my VM and don't really see the appeal. I don't see the appeal of Windows other than compatibility with other devices. It's just an operating system. I have all the major os and don't really have a favorite. 

Windows 10 though is already so much better than windows 8. 

Just updated here.  Seems Microsoft are going for the data collection thing though, I've had to turn a ton of options off in the preferences when I installed. Yuck. 

Just gave it a try in a VM, it was mostly a disappointing experience.

I don't care for the advanced options being hidden in a very light font, against a similar colour background in the opposite corner of the massive brightly coloured 'express setup' button, and the express setup removing all of your default programs, to set Edge as your browser, for example, as well as all of the intrusive settings being the defaults that you never see, if you miss the advanced setup.

I hate the new start menu with all of its worthless social media and xbox tabs. I hate how hard it is to navigate the settings to find any actual configs instead of changing your wallpaper. I had to search for pretty much every setting by name. Is there a way of getting to the control panel through the start menu? 

I don't just think it's due to familiarity with the predecessors that it seems far, far less intuitive to navigate the OS than XP or Win7 if you're trying to reach any 'power user' screens.

Edited by Davkaus

I've found the search function to be excellent for surfacing that stuff. I'd changed click sensitivity on the touch pad in W10 much easier than I could in 7.

The search is decent for settings if you can remember one of the keywords for the setting, it seems hard to get to if you just want to browse advanced settings though. Maybe it's just my crap memory but I'm often browsing for a setting, not quite remembering what it's called. The quickest way I could find in to the control panel main menu is to search for another setting, then navigate backwards from there.

I also found it awful for searching for programs. For example, I have Hearthstone installed (on Win7), with it in my start menu and on the desktop, but when I searched for it, I found some temp files, and some Hearthstone related crapware on the Windows store, and some webpages in my history. but not the actual program I have installed. Maybe that's better for programs you've installed natively on Windows 10.

Just updated here.  Seems Microsoft are going for the data collection thing though, I've had to turn a ton of options off in the preferences when I installed. Yuck. 

Like all things "free" it's not really free. There a unique advertiser ID that's gets setup on your account for you by Microsoft. How nice of them.

Hey guess what? It **** ed my laptop. 

Got the message saying it was ready to go, I started the upgrade, and away it went. Until it hung at 48%. Several hours later I Googled for some advice on this sort of hang, and everybody says power off, wait a few minutes, and power back up, and it will revert to previous version (Windows 7). 

So I did, it said it was reverting to previous version, but failed and said it needed the Windows 7 installation discs. Which of course I have long since lost. 

OK, I've got a spare laptop (WIndows 8) and a smartphone, but I would like to recover the other one. 

Any tips? 

What model of laptop is it? Most consumer laptops ship with recovery partitions, there will be a hotkey to press when it's loading to boot in to recovery mode, but it differs by manufacturer.

What model of laptop is it? Most consumer laptops ship with recovery partitions, there will be a hotkey to press when it's loading to boot in to recovery mode, but it differs by manufacturer.

It's a Dell. The bootup options don't help, as the recovery mode just comes up with: 

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause (no shit, Sherlock). To fix the problem: 

1. Insert your Windows installation disc, (etc.) 

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. 

If I can find somebody who has a Windows 7 disc, should that work, or are they locked into the the specifically registered computer? 

Is that what comes up when you just leave it to start up on its own? Try tapping F8 constantly when it boots, it should come up to this screen, select repair computer. Hopefully that shouldn't ask for a disk.

If it does or that's what you've already tried, yeah, any disk will work. If you're just using the repair menu rather than reinstalling, I'd just download a Win7 installer from a site of questionable morality, burn it to USB and boot from that.

• Like 1

Like all things "free" it's not really free. There a unique advertiser ID that's gets setup on your account for you by Microsoft. How nice of them.

Oh, I opted out of all of that stuff.  The Rock Paper Shotgun blog had a handy step by step guide. :)

• Like 1

Â