Europa League Final & Champions League Final

andykeenan

Football is awash with cheats, divers and play actors, it also seems unable to cope with the disrespect of officials. Why is this?

Should we be surprised that the jewel in the crown of european football contained all of the above?

I just think you've picked the wrong game to make insinuations about. Do you, taking every major decision the ref made into account, honestly think the game was in any way fixed?

I'm as sceptical about modern football as anyone. However, although I am a little biased, I tend to think Barca win games because they're bloody good at football.

Oh, don't get me wrong, Barcelona are the best team in World football.

I don't think the game was fairly officiated at all. People keep talking about Vidal, yet he was unlucky to be booked. The penalty at 1-1 was obviously a huge decision and a possible red card offense given it was so close to the goal.

Was it fixed? Who knows. But there was certainly an imbalance of decisions. I don't really care if you play the "daft" or "tin hat" card as that previous disrespectful poster did, but it's not only this game, it's been in quite a few major games. Maybe it looks worse than it is because it's happened in high profile games. I don't think there will ever be a more biased performance than the one at Stamford Bridge a few years ago, but it's as if because it's Chelsea it's something to be amused about.

Vidal was very lucky not to have been sent off. By the laws of the game, he should have seen a second yellow on two separate occassions. I'm glad he wasn't sent off, though.

Pogba could have had a pen. I'd like to see a proper replay of it, certainly. It wasn't the kind of situation where you often see a red card given, though.

As for the imfamous Stamford Bridge game, the ref wasn't so much biased as he was incompetent. This particular ref was (still is, I suppose) a Norwegian fellow who is incredibly likable and as incorruptible as they come. He just wasn't good enough at that level.

Edited by Michelsen

Was it fixed? Who knows.

*puts hand up*

I do, it wasn't. 

(sorry if you find that disrespectful)

Given how wrong you usually are, that doesn't really mean much.

Still waiting for those examples that you have of the FA fighting FIFA's corruption pre-unsuccessful World Cup bid...

Any time you're ready...

Nastiest team in football won tonight, they have great players like Iniesta, Messi and Xavi but some of the others are despicable plus referees have always helped Barcelona

the Chelsea 2009 game is easily the worst example

I think there was too much doubt to give a pen. That was everybody's conclusion on sky and I agree. You could say Barcelona were unlucky not to get a pen in the first when the ball hit the hand but I wouldn't have given that either. Juventus were just beaten by the better side. The ref had nothing to do with it. 

yes but it cant be a coincidence when the same team gets away with it every season

I could imagine the uproar if this was the "evil" Real Madrid getting decision after decision every season

Yeah chlsea game where barca for the favours is easy to remember but the game the year after where Chelsea won thanks to a foul on the keeper is easy to forget... Barca get all the decisions yet Vidal tried his hardest and couldn't get sent off tonight....this UEFAlona bollocks, refs are incompetent, we see it every week

• Like 1

Still waiting for those examples that you have of the FA fighting FIFA's corruption pre-unsuccessful World Cup bid...

Any time you're ready...

Maybe when you take your black resistance tin hat off.

Yeah chlsea game where barca for the favours is easy to remember but the game the year after where Chelsea won thanks to a foul on the keeper is easy to forget... Barca get all the decisions yet Vidal tried his hardest and couldn't get sent off tonight....this UEFAlona bollocks, refs are incompetent, we see it every week

true Chelsea beat them in 2005 with a foul on the keeper but then again Drogba got sent off for this in 1st leg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S90fTjLir2Q

In 9 games out of 10 the Neymar handball goal is given, to me it's a myth, don't get me spring barca have their fair share of diving bastards and biscuits is an absolute master of the dark arts of football but the idea that they get loads of decisions is a load of bollocks, can remember those Chelsea games, Chelsea / sky / us were shambolic in playing the victim card, the ref was shit, the reaction was embarrassing

Any time you're ready...

Maybe when you take your black resistance tin hat off.

I have no idea what that means, but I'm guessing that it's along the lines of "actually, I have nothing to back my point up".

Did some digging after I heard Martin Tyler say that Barca have won 50 games this season. 

Villa have won 51 in all competitions in the last four years.  :mellow:

I'm sure if we had an operating budget of £350m+ a year like Barcelona have then our win percentage might go up a bit. :detect: 

Did some digging after I heard Martin Tyler say that Barca have won 50 games this season. 

Villa have won 51 in all competitions in the last four years.  :mellow:

I'm sure if we had an operating budget of £350m+ a year like Barcelona have then our win percentage might go up a bit. :detect:

Obviously. Just hammers home the awful, awful purgatory we're in. 37 league wins in four seasons... sweet Christ.

Bojan also had a perfectly good goal disallowed against Inter which knocked them out when Mourinho won it. It's a load of bollocks, saying Vidal shouldn't have got booked last night is mental. He steamed in twice within the first ten minutes and clattered them. Barca have the ball almost all the time and invite a shitload of tackles, often mistimed and sometimes late and cynical because their movement is so quick. It's inevitable that the oppo are going to get booked and sent off on a regular basis. Add to that certain players make a meal out of everything as well to bring the ref's attention to it, but all European teams do that. In some ways teams are lucky that Messi generally keeps going when he gets tripped or kicked, otherwise teams would be down to 9 men most games.

• Like 1

Â