The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

If I were ever to return to the UK, I would spoil my vote and put the x next to the Lib Dems too.

Just make sure you move to Bath, Twickenham or Surbiton and you're not spoiling it.

55 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

If I were ever to return to the UK, I would spoil my vote and put the x next to the Lib Dems too.

He only voted for them because he has an affinity with their titular shortened form

Two Leicester councillors have defected to the Conservative Party after being deselected by Labour.

Paul Westley and Hemant Rae Bhatia will stand for the Tories in the Beaumont Leys ward at the upcoming local elections on 4 May, running against new Labour candidates.

It comes as 19 sitting councillors were told by Labour they would not be able to defend their seat.

BBC

14 hours ago, ml1dch said:

STaRmer thE ToRy Got Rid OF tHem beAaUSe tHEy waS ToO lEFt WiNG foR HIM!

Well 14 out of 15 BAME councillors who were blocked, have not joined the tories. So they were either too left wing, or it was something else, but it does not appear to be a tory secret op. 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

or it was something else,

Wanting to abolish the directly elected mayoral position maybe?

Exactly the same happened in Liverpool all three prospective Mayoral candidates were told they couldn't stand because all three wanted to abolish the DEM. I'd describe the three candidates as Centre, Left and Very Left, one black two white

The extgreme left of the party jumped up and down in exactly the same manner, stitch up, local representation (ignoring the obvious elephant in the room as here), racism (the black candidate was the most left wing), sexism (all three candidates were female), one candidate even attempted to sue the Labour Party (and lost, heavily). None of the accusations were true, they eventually elected a black woman from the same ward as the other black candidate who happened to share a name similarity with the outgoing disgraced outgoing Mayor (which wasn't even close to ideal)

If you are a political party, that has concentrations in urban areas why in your right mind would you want to get rid of en elected mayoral position that you are nailed on to win The answer in Liverpool was because it was a knee jerk reaction to the corrupt incumbent, I suspect in Leicester the answer is somewhat differnt and is down to policy differences between the elected mayor and some councillors, There was similar feeligs by a minority of Labour councillors in Liverpool, they've left and formed an independent group and will in all likelihood become an irrelevance over the coming election cycles

The idea that removing elected mayors is somehow more democratic is obviously a question rarely answered by those that oppose them. Starmer and the Labour Party are obviously against removing DEMs so can't have candidates who differ on that

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The idea that removing elected mayors is somehow more democratic is obviously a question rarely answered by those that oppose them. Starmer and the Labour Party are obviously against removing DEMs so can't have candidates who differ on that

Thanks for the explanation - I don't look at any of that and think it's wrong - it seems a perfectly reasonable explanation. I just take against a pattern of behaviour, to which this could be a part of, stemming form the Forde report which in Forde's words accused the party of "operating a hierarchy of racism or discrimination" and "We note that MPs of colour and female MPs were not always treated during the relevant period in the same way as their white/ male counterparts – not just in terms of the abuse they received, but in terms of the level of instinctive respect they were afforded within the Party..."  - from my perspective Labour under Starmer does not find any of that a priority, because it doesn't attach any importance to being perceived that way. And then there's the other mimicking, like instead of "Stop the boats" it's "Labour will stop the small boats". It's a bitter offer to swallow come next election and I'm not sure I can vote for it. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

then there's the other mimicking, like instead of "Stop the boats" it's "Labour will stop the small boats". It's a bitter offer to swallow

Stopping the boats would be a good thing. Desperate people paying people smugglers to ferry them across the world’s biggest shipping lane of freezing water in unsafe craft. There is nothing remotely good about it. It needs stopping. It’s the “how” that is the important thing. The Tory “how” is to tell anyone crossing that way they cannot apply for asylum and to ship them off to Rwanda. The Labour “how” is less clear, but seems to involve setting up a way people can claim asylum before they cross, working better with France to stop them leaving and so on. It doesn’t involve sending them to Rwanda. What is it about Labour’s approach that is bitter?

3 hours ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Then: "I have supported schemes where cannabis possession does not result in arrest/prosecution"

Now: "Cannabis is ruining lives"

Anyone thinking we were getting a centre-left UK government any time soon can put the bubbles back in the fridge

I guess I'm a Tory then...

I had to have a word with my neighbour (or more accurately her uneducated layabout son) who was smoking weed in his bedroom while my 2 year old daughter was asleep in the adjoining house (their rooms share a common wall in a semi-deteched house) and I could literally taste the stuff.

I've always been pretty relaxed about legalising as much as you sensibly can do, particularly in the privacy of your own house but I wasn't exactly happy about a 2 year old having to sleep in a room where you can smell second hand weed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

I guess I'm a Tory then...

I had to have a word with my neighbour (or more accurately her uneducated layabout son) who was smoking weed in his bedroom while my 2 year old daughter was asleep in the adjoining house (their rooms share a common wall in a semi-deteched house) and I could literally taste the stuff.

I've always been pretty relaxed about legalising as much as you sensibly can do, particularly in the privacy of your own house but I wasn't exactly happy about a 2 year old having to sleep in a room where you can smell second hand weed.

Well, absolutely. It wouldn't be any better if it was cigarette smoke going through your kids window though would it?

The answer to some antisocial behaviour isn't leaving criminalisation in place

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Do you think “I’m going to decriminalise antisocial behaviour” is a good policy for gaining votes?

Just now, Davkaus said:

Well, absolutely. It wouldn't be any better if it was cigarette smoke going through your kids window though would it?

I agree, but cigarettes are legal so if it had been cigarette smoke I wouldn't have been happy about it but I wouldn't have felt I was "in the right" to go over and tell him to be more considerate. I'd probably have just had to put up with it.

Â