The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

What is it he's actually accused of doing?

He's placed a wreath in memorial of 47 people killed in Tunisia by an Israeli bombing. I'm not sure how the Munich terrorists seem to have gotten tied up in this - in so far as I'm aware, they're buried in a different country.

Still, as long as it stops anyone talking about those policies he has that people seem to like eh?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

grown men squabbling on Twitter  ...Grrrrrrr

Corbyn does have a knack for serious lack of judgment though doesn't he  !!!

IRA, Hamas, Hezbollah , PLO  , the common theme being he continues to spout out the"you can only bring about peace by engaging with these people "  line ... I personally don't buy it simple as for decades, no one paid much attention to Corbyn because he didn’t matter ...worryingly he kinda does now , all be it I think even the "oh Jeremy Corbyn" chanting mongs have realised he's  not the messiah now and his chances of being PM diminish every day

still , I've no doubt he's just misunderstood and Jeremy really makes a decent cup of tea , just the media will report that he drinks coffee that helps fund FARC or something

Blimey, have you worked for the Mail long?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Apparently a senior Tory figure was there as well.

This crisis is absurd.

Don't know anout being there as well, but Sir Ian Gilmore, tory Lord, signed a motion about this,  agreeing that the case against the Palestinians has been fraudulent.

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Still, as long as it stops anyone talking about those policies he has that people seem to like eh?

He doesn’t have policies only aspirations ...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Also, I'm very disappointed that I didn't know who Mehdi Hasan is.

He went on a Daily Mail rant on QT and then it transpired he’d been previously praising them and attempting to get work with them

I was trying to wittily suggest your daily mail jibe was worthy of the Heil itself and you could work for them , hey ho guess we can’t all be Stewart Lee :)

tbf you have then readdressed the post and I shall endeavour to reply to it when I get to the office tomorrow and pretend to be busy at work 

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

tbf you have then readdressed the post and I shall endeavour to reply to it when I get to the office tomorrow and pretend to be busy at work 

Ah, I deleted the redress - it was just plain old grumpiness. Pardon me.

Corbyn at it again

Jeremy Corbyn caused huge controversy last night, as pictures emerged of him laying a wreath for terrorists associated with the 1988 Christmas Eve incident at Nakatomi Plaza.[

Mastermind Hans Gruber was described by Corbyn as “a decent guy” before he called for action to be taken against John McClane, the police officer who took on the terrorists alone during the incident.

However, a spokesperson for Corbyn later said, “Jeremy was there to oppose all forms of violence, whether they be political or misleadingly political in order to actually steal bearer bonds worth 640 million dollars.

“He didn’t know that he was laying a wreath for Hans Gruber, although he acknowledges that he was, in fact, told that he was doing so.

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 3

Don’t have any problems with you giving your opinions of Corby Tony. Everyone has their right to that. Not too keen on your use of the word “mongs” though. Can remember kids at school using it as a shortened version of the word mongol. Up there with spastic in my book. Both regrettable terms. I think you’re better than that.

This story's done the rounds already, last year.

It's been dredged up again because the Tories are floundering and Boris keeps f***ing everything up with a steady stream of prime bellendery.

Netenyahu, the Eton gang and tax avoiding billionaires, who are quite content with the gap between rich an poor widening, want you to vote Tory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

Don’t have any problems with you giving your opinions of Corby Tony. Everyone has their right to that. Not too keen on your use of the word “mongs” though. Can remember kids at school using it as a shortened version of the word mongol. Up there with spastic in my book. Both regrettable terms. I think you’re better than that.

tbf I think its just a word used in the things that piss you off thread that has kinda worked its way into the mainstream rather than any sinister tones  , but fair enough I'll endeavour to avoid using it going forward

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

What is it he's actually accused of doing?

He's placed a wreath in memorial of 47 people killed in Tunisia by an Israeli bombing. I'm not sure how the Munich terrorists seem to have gotten tied up in this - in so far as I'm aware, they're buried in a different country.

Not really. There's a good article in the internet Guardian which covers not just what he was doing there, but what he might do differently in addressing these sorts of, er, issues, from his past.

On the Tunis episode, there are three options. The first is to say that everything that happened, every wreath that was laid, was solely in honour of those killed in the 1985 Israeli bombing of PLO headquarters in Tunis. That was the line taken by the pro-Corbyn MP Chris Williamson as he toured BBC studios on Tuesday, and enthusiastically echoed by Corbyn supporters online. Its great strength is that deploring the 1985 bombing is not controversial: even Margaret Thatcher did it.

But there are two problems with the “1985-only” line. For one thing, the photographs clearly show two distinct wreath-laying moments: one at the 1985 memorial, with Jeremy Corbyn hovering at the back, and another at a visibly different location, by the graves of senior PLO leaders reputedly involved in the 1970s with the Black September faction, which organised the massacre and torture of Israeli Olympic athletes in Munich in 1972. The men buried there had no connection with 1985, and it’s in that location that Corbyn is pictured holding a wreath.

What’s more, Corbyn himself explicitly wrote, in the Morning Star after the Tunis trip, that 1985 was not the sole focus of the ceremonies: “Wreaths were laid at the graves of those who died on that day and on the graves of others killed by Mossad agents in Paris in 1991.” So the photographs and Corbyn’s own words make the 1985-only line unsustainable.

The second approach available to Corbyn would be to say that he has long been a devoted supporter of the Palestinians and on that day in 2014 he was not going to get too hung up on the exact details of this plaque or that grave, which were anyway opaque to him as a non-speaker of Arabic: what mattered was standing in solidarity with his Palestinian friends. But perhaps he worries that would sound insufficiently discerning for a would-be prime minister.

The third option would be to say: “Yes, as the photographs show, I did lay a wreath at the graves of Salah Khalaf, known as Abu Iyad, along with Hayel Abdel-Hamid and Fakhri al Omari. I knew exactly who they were and I make no apology for that.” The argument the Labour leader could make would be that perhaps those men were leaders of the group behind the murderous Munich attack, but they changed course: Khalaf became one of the prime proponents of the PLO’s shift away from violence and towards diplomacy. Corbyn could say that it was precisely that journey that he was honouring that day in Tunis.

The trouble is, if that had indeed been Corbyn’s motivation he would surely have mentioned it in that Morning Star article or since. Instead he has left the impression that he is a bit vague about who these men were. He wrote that they were killed in Paris, when in fact it was Tunis. He said they were killed by Mossad agents, when in fact they were killed by a rival Palestinian faction. (It’s possible Corbyn was confusing those three with a fourth man, Atef Bsesio, also allegedly linked to Munich and also buried in that same cemetery: he was reportedly killed by Mossad agents in Paris – though that was in 1992, not 1991.)

The point is, there is a way to deal with these questions which, given Corbyn’s record of activism, will keep coming. It will require precision and candour, rather than I-didn’t-inhale formulations such as “I was present but not involved”, especially when the pictures say otherwise.

Chiefly, it will mean honestly admitting that when he attended events like this one – and this goes for his history in Northern Ireland too – he was not there as some neutral peace broker, as he now suggests, but as a vocal supporter of one side against the other. He was not an intermediary in either Israel/Palestine or Northern Ireland: if he had been, he would have been scrupulous about meeting all sides, which he never did, and expressing either no solidarity with any side or plenty with all of them, which was also not his way.

Instead, in Israel/Palestine his position was not that of a healing conciliator of two warring peoples, but rather “to eradicate Zionism”, to cite the stated goal of the Labour Movement Campaign for Palestine of which he was a sponsor. In Northern Ireland, he was for republicanism and against unionism, taking part for example in a 1987 ceremony to honour not all victims of terrorism, but eight IRA gunmen killed by the SAS. As he put it at the time: “I’m happy to commemorate all those who died fighting for an independent Ireland.”

In these conflicts, Corbyn did not sit on the fence or act as some even-handed negotiator. He chose sides. That’s what makes him who he is; it’s what many people admire about him. To his most loyal supporters he can perhaps pretend that he spent decades as some kind of unofficial UN peace envoy. But for everyone else, he needs to have an honest, precise reckoning with his past. Otherwise, what happened this week will keep happening

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

@Xann  doesn't mention the Cabinet, he mentions Boris... who... wait for it... went to...?

he said   " Eton gang

I'm sure I don't have to point out the obvious flaw in your post

the Eton influence isn't really there any more , Mays cabinet has the fewest privately educated people since Atlee in 1945  .. The labour shadow cabinet probably has more children being privately educated than the  cabinet these days 

Â