Election Night 2015

Demitri_C

A few questions for those who voted Tory. Regardless of whether you have, and believe you'll continue to have, a couple of extra quid in your own pocket a week under the Tories do you believe under them that the disabled will be better off? that the working poor will be better off? that low paid workers won't continue to be abused by big business in terms of contracted hours and their terms and conditions? that workers rights won't continue to be eroded? that the minimum wage will rise as quickly as it desperately needs to ? that our NHS will be in better shape in 5 years? that the rest of our public services will be in better condition than they are now?

In my opinion if you can answer yes to any of them you are either very naive or a liar.

Alas im not allowed to answer this as I didn't Vote Tory but if I was allowed to id say what a load of melodramatic bolloxs

Sorry Mark I know you mean well

Tony reading my post back then I can see that it does come across that way.

I do genuinely think though that some people are going to be shocked now that we have a Tory Government on their own at how destructive they will be, in terms of our public services, and how badly they will treat those already with the least. Their record in these areas with the Lib Dems keeping them in check was bad enough.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I do wonder how many people out there are party political muppets. I know I have a few in my family, they vote Conservative without actually knowing anything about their policy. I doubt anything another party could offer would change their vote.

I hate this. Making out as if all voters should have done hours and hours of research and studied every single policy and potential outcome of their vote, and if they didn't they are "muppets".

You should be angry at labour. If its so obvious that a vote for Tory is a bad thing then Labour should have had an easy job convincing those "muppets" what a bad idea it was to vote for them.

I never realised how pathetic either side of the political argument can be until this election.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

I do wonder how many people out there are party political muppets. I know I have a few in my family, they vote Conservative without actually knowing anything about their policy. I doubt anything another party could offer would change their vote.

I hate this. Making out as if all voters should have done hours and hours of research and studied every single policy and potential outcome of their vote, and if they didn't they are "muppets".

I rather hate the idea that someone would cast a vote for a party without at least reading the manifesto of that party (whether or not that party sticks to the contents of it) - that goes for someone voting Blue, Red, Green, Yellow or whatever else. Edited by snowychap

I rather hate the idea that someone would cast a vote for a party without at least reading the manifesto of that party (whether or not that party sticks to the contents of it) - that goes for someone voting Blue, Red, Green, Yellow or whatever else.

Me too. Luckily I didn't suggest that they do that.

And reading the Conservative manifesto won't leave you with the conclusion that you're destroying the country and we're all going to die horribly in 4 years and 11 months.

Edited by Stevo985

Exactly Stevo, the constant suggestion that Conservative voters were 'duped' or are ignorant or didn't know what they were doing comes across as insulting and sanctimonious.

It people want to look at someone to blame then it should be Labour themselves, for being completely unelectable.

• Like 1

You should educate yourself on what parties either promise to do or have historically done. Maybe then it would become clearer why some people are strongly opposed to one side or the other. It is a very real divide, and it is far from pathetic.

That wasn't my point.

I have no problem people being opposed to other parties. Of course not.

My problem is people being called muppets for voting for the party that won the election. Or the suggestion that the only way you could vote conservative is if you're uneducated, or haven't done enough research, or are selfish, or racist.

Maybe people have done their research and aren't selfish or racist and just came to a different conclusion? Why do they have to be muppets for doing it?

Or are 40% of the people who voted selfish, racist muppets?

That's what's pathetic.

And yes, I know parties promise one thing and deliver another. It's the main reaosn politics as a whole is utter bullshit and my personal opinion is it doesn't really matter who's in power out of the main parties. It's why so many people don't vote. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

Bitter, sanctimonious bollocks.

And it's reminded why I usually stay out of these threads.

Edit: wasn't aimed at Snowy. Was more a general exclamation.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

im not educated with politics or infact a lot of world matters but i definately feel the country is better run with conservative in charge rather than labour. i didnt really look into much whether it be past or present i just looked how it was when labour were in a few years ago and how it is now.

Or the suggestion that the only way you could vote conservative is if you're uneducated, or haven't done enough research, or are selfish, or racist.

There are many reasons that people may vote Conservative; your list is not exhaustive. :D

Edit: wasn't aimed at Snowy.

No, of course not. Who was it aimed at?

Edited by snowychap

Or the suggestion that the only way you could vote conservative is if you're uneducated, or haven't done enough research, or are selfish, or racist.

There are many reasons that people may vote Conservative; your list is not exhaustive. :D

Edit: wasn't aimed at Snowy.

No, of course not. Who was it aimed at?

It was a general exclamation, like I said. Aied at the high and mighty attitude being displayed about Tory voters (again, of which I am not one)

It was meant to go on the end of my other post but because you posted in between it created a new post. I was just clarifying.

Edited by Stevo985

Aied at the high and mighty attitude being displayed about Tory voters

I don't think it's really a high and mighty attitude being displayed and even though it is largely aimed at Tory voters at the moment (I hope I've expressed myself clearly enough to indicate that it isn't just people who voted Tory, for me) that's more to do with the fact that they're the ones going in to government.

I think you'd have seen the same (often valid) criticisms of some of the voters for the largest party/parties after each election result from people who are not in favour of that government (so from non Labour voters in '97, '02 and '07 for example).

Exactly Stevo, the constant suggestion that Conservative voters were 'duped' or are ignorant or didn't know what they were doing comes across as insulting and sanctimonious.

It people want to look at someone to blame then it should be Labour themselves, for being completely unelectable.

I'm sure many people voted for the Conservatives because they are happy with the Economic recovery in recent years and actions speak louder than words. Let them continue. 

• Like 2

You should educate yourself on what parties either promise to do or have historically done. Maybe then it would become clearer why some people are strongly opposed to one side or the other. It is a very real divide, and it is far from pathetic.

That wasn't my point.

I have no problem people being opposed to other parties. Of course not.

My problem is people being called muppets for voting for the party that won the election. Or the suggestion that the only way you could vote conservative is if you're uneducated, or haven't done enough research, or are selfish, or racist.

Maybe people have done their research and aren't selfish or racist and just came to a different conclusion? Why do they have to be muppets for doing it?

Or are 40% of the people who voted selfish, racist muppets?

That's what's pathetic.

And yes, I know parties promise one thing and deliver another. It's the main reaosn politics as a whole is utter bullshit and my personal opinion is it doesn't really matter who's in power out of the main parties. It's why so many people don't vote. 

Yep, most people realise not much real change comes with a change of government. There are no parties that align to all or most of my views, so voting is rather pointless. Also be it a Labour or Conservative government the actual impact to my day to day life would be pretty much unnoticeable. 

I'm sure many people voted for the Conservatives because they are happy with the Economic recovery in recent years and actions speak louder than words. Let them continue.

Exactly why they've been duped. The UK economic recovery hasn't been good, in fact there's a very valid argument that says that the signs of recovery were actually already there when the Tories took power and implemented the cuts, setting back the recovery at least three years.

• Like 4

I've used the word duped a few times. 

Despite providing an explanation (more than once) that these comments were only aimed at a section of those who voted, people like you and Stevo appear to be suggesting it's being said about ALL Tory voters. 

I haven't really seen anyone say that to be honest, but then I don't suppose being measured is what debating on the Internet is about. 

If you use words like SOME, people jump on it as if you have said ALL. Then instead of debating the point the name calling starts. It's a shame because there is a decent debate to be had. 

Its like the main forum. Players are legends or dog shit. Managers are geniuses or complete words removed, no room in the middle for a grey area. Point scoring and selective arguing prevails. 

If if everyone on here really believes everyone who votes, does so on the balance of weighing up the manifestos, looking at the big picture and making informed choices - then good luck to you.

• Like 1

Exactly why they've been duped. The UK economic recovery hasn't been good, in fact there's a very valid argument that says that the signs of recovery were actually already there when the Tories took power and implemented the cuts, setting back the recovery at least three years.

People don't need to pour over their policies to have a valid vote. The view, they've done an ok job so far. I don't want to risk a change of government potentially derailing it so I'll vote for them to continue. It's a very fair reason to vote. 

You may say they've been duped, or whatever. But that's an opinion. I do believe economic recovery was coming regardless of who was in power though. 

Agreed.

I didn't vote for Labour or Conservative, but given the choice out of those two I'd have chosen Conservative.

I'm a self confessed floating voter, so I'll fully admit to not having spent hours pouring over every policy and outcome of voting for one party or the other.

But like CV suggests, you shouldn't have to. The suggestion that 40 million people should be completely up to date with absolutely everything about politics is absurd.

If people are so easily "duped" and the tories are so terrible, then Labour should have had an easy job convincing us all to vote for them.

They failed miserably.

• Like 1

Â