Election Night 2015

Demitri_C

Regardless of whether you want independence or not, to suggest two areas are 'too different' to carry on in one union is ridiculous and dangerous.

It suggests Scotland has more in common with Portugal and Bulgaria than it does England and Wales? It suggests that London should be separated from Cornwall?

Too different to co-exist together is a very scary idea. Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee having more in common with Valetta in Malta or Constanta on the Black Sea is just a plain bizarre position to take.

Wanting to be in charge of your own affairs and see if you can make it as a country that is an equal partner of other countries, with the euro, that I can understand. Wanting to go totally alone with your own currency and your own laws, that I can get my head around.

Leaving the UK but having the UK's money whilst you join the EU without the Euro. That's a lovely idea for students to chat over, but not really very practical is it?

I'm not naturally anti independence if that's what people want. Providing the people aren't being conned or frankly, just being deliberately thick or in denial.

• Like 4

...we are far more left wing, we are pro europe...

So why did you all vote for a party whose policies were less anti-austerity than Labour and will blindly lead you out of Europe like the Pied Pier if you get independence?

Another shining example of how the people believe a message but don't look at the actual substantive policy.

Scottish independence is a ridiculous notion. Wanting independence and being a part of the EU? How does that square itself, even if they'd let you join, which they won't.

If the Scottish are more left wing than the English they should have voted Labour

If the Scottish are pro-European independence is an utter nonsense.

Sorry but the SNP sold you all a pup

or we could be led out of europe by the conservatives and ukip nutters via the english vote. it all depends on the terms of the eu referendum, if all countries need to agree to leave then scotland and northern ireland certainly will vote to remain part of the european union, but if we are dragged out because england votes to leave with the greater population size, it'll be mandate for another scottish referendum. why would europe not let in the 14th most prosperous country in the world?, as a whole the uk is 18th by the way

So why did you all vote for a party whose policies were less anti-austerity than Labour and will blindly lead you out of Europe like the Pied Pier if you get independence?

Another shining example of how the people believe a message but don't look at the actual substantive policy.

Scottish independence is a ridiculous notion. Wanting independence and being a part of the EU? How does that square itself, even if they'd let you join, which they won't.

If the Scottish are more left wing than the English they should have voted Labour

or we could be led out of europe by the conservatives and ukip nutters via the english vote. it all depends on the terms of the eu referendum, if all countries need to agree to leave then scotland and northern ireland certainly will vote to remain part of the european union, but if we are dragged out because england votes to leave with the greater population size, it'll be mandate for another scottish referendum. why would europe not let in the 14th most prosperous country in the world?, as a whole the uk is 18th by the way

14th most preposterous country more like.

;)

• Like 1

There's not really much you can do about that, you'll be out regardless. FWIW I'm fairly confident once a campaign starts that the UK will vote to remain in the EU. I also don't get why a vote to leave the EU would give a mandate for a new referendum? Its a bit like saying, we like democracy but only when it suits us. Its another daft notion

Why would the EU not let in Scotland? Thats simple. Spain and France among others will block it, they have separatist issues of their own and keeping Scotland out would send the correct message back home.

I still don't see how you square the circle of Independence and wanting to join an EU which regardless of what people actually think is heading slowly towards being its own federal state?

The 14th most prosperous country in the world? What on earth does that mean? Its a meaningless measure and not really of much interest to the EU especially as most of that "prosperity" comes from a dwindling resource.

Farage stays as UKIP leader after resignation rejected

Nigel Farage is to remain as UKIP leader after the party rejected his resignation.

Mr Farage said he would stand down after failing to win a seat in last week's general election.

But the party said there was "overwhelmingly evidence" the UKIP membership did not want Mr Farage to go.

It said: "He has therefore been persuaded to withdraw his resignation and remains leader of UKIP."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32696505

Farage is full of shit. In other news, the sun is hot and pigs can't fly.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Well I don't know about you lot, but I certainly couldn't see that happening. Still, thank goodness Farage stuck to his word, a very British thing to do I may add, and thank goodness somehow the UKIP party members managed to persuade him to change his mind.

Now, enough of this guff, lets see some more photos of Farage having a pint in a pub.

There's not really much you can do about that, you'll be out regardless. FWIW I'm fairly confident once a campaign starts that the UK will vote to remain in the EU. I also don't get why a vote to leave the EU would give a mandate for a new referendum? Its a bit like saying, we like democracy but only when it suits us. Its another daft notion

Why would the EU not let in Scotland? Thats simple. Spain and France among others will block it, they have separatist issues of their own and keeping Scotland out would send the correct message back home.

I still don't see how you square the circle of Independence and wanting to join an EU which regardless of what people actually think is heading slowly towards being its own federal state?

The 14th most prosperous country in the world? What on earth does that mean? Its a meaningless measure and not really of much interest to the EU especially as most of that "prosperity" comes from a dwindling resource.

I agree with Tom on the first part and you on the second, Bicks.

I think if the UK does a referendum, and it turns out that England votes "leave" and Scotland votes "stay in the EU", that it would be a fair trigger for another Scotland England referendum - dragging scotland out of the EU it wishes to remain in, on top of all the rest of the stuff seems more than fair cause to me.

You're surely right though to say that whether Scotland Leaves the UK before or after a EU referendum, the likes of Spain are not going to allow them to (re) join the EU, because of their own internal issues with Basques and Catalans. Not in a million years.

I think that wanting independence from Westminster, but being part of the EU is perfectly valid.

For all the issues with "Yurp", it's really only the UK that has such a right wing, US style of Gov't as we've had and have got in the UK. A left leaning country, joining with other left leaning countries as part of a political and economic union is also fair enough basically. Though the practicalities are less easy - currency and the like.

In the big scheme of things, if it wasn't for the tories everyone could get along just fine :)

• Like 1

I'm sure I remember reading during the referendum that they (Scotland) would need approval from all 20 odd States to join as a new member. Only one has to say no for it to be a no go? 

I assume for reasons already mentioned, at least one will reject them, so it's a bit of a non starter? 

Its going to to get very very messy 

Edited by wazzap24

I'm sure I remember reading during the referendum that they (Scotland) would need approval from all 20 odd States to join as a new member. Only one has to say no for it to be a no go? 

I assume for reasons already mentioned, at least one will reject them, so it's a bit of a non starter? 

i think the eu will support scotland entering the european union if the entire uk voted to leave losing a possible 4 countries isn't an ideal situation for them and in spain the constitution forbids the break up of the autonomous regions, the uk has no such law. cornwall will be next to receive devolution

There is no way I would vote to leave Europe.

Hopefully, this is how the majority will feel. 

BUT the Scotland vote ended up being a lot closer than people thought and you have a lot of Kippers already unhappy at their  lack of representation. Plus the Euro-sceptics in the Government. 

Dave will have to let the 'Rebels' campaign, otherwise he will have a revolt on his hands, so it could be closer than we think. 

We need Murdoch on side for this one! 

Farage is a charlatan. It's pretty obvious that when he first made the comments about resigning he thought he'd get elected easily and when it became apparent that he might not that's when he started to try and backtrack. Lo and behold he's lost and yet he's still leader. He knew that the party would reject his resignation.

I think it'll be downhill for UKIP from here - Farage just doesn't know when to quit. After all, one of UKIP's biggest asset is "straight-talking Nigel" yet it should be clear to all now that he's no different to any other politician.

Edited by Mantis

i think the eu will support scotland entering the european union if the entire uk voted to leave losing a possible 4 countries isn't an ideal situation for them and in spain the constitution forbids the break up of the autonomous regions, the uk has no such law. cornwall will be next to receive devolution

Fair point that. It could be argued it would only be fair for the EU to consider Scotland in the event they were dragged out against their will. But that would only be if they could secure another referendum in the event of an EU exit and win it. 

Even then, whilst we might argue it would only be fair, fair doesn't really count for much in politics. 

I think it'll be downhill for UKIP from here - Farage just doesn't know when to quit. After all, one of UKIP's biggest asset is "straight-talking Nigel" yet it should be clear to all now that he's no different to any other politician.

Without him, they'd be absolutely nowhere. He goes, they collapse imo

• Like 1

Â