Hell Is...

maqroll

A person's accent doesn't change written grammar :rant: Even 'an homed' dog doesn't live in 'an house' :)

/hijack

He might live in an hotel though.

And it would not be an historic occasion either if he did (that's probably the most prevalent abuse of that particular indefinite article).

And it would not be an historic occasion either if he did (that's probably the most prevalent abuse of that particular indefinite article).
I do say 'an historic'. But 'a hotel'.

I don't mind 'saying', because people have accents.  But written word is 'a historic' because it's not a silent haytch like honour.

• Like 1

I don't mind 'saying', because people have accents. But written word is 'a historic' because it's not a silent haytch like honour.
I beg to differ. I don't say them that way due to my accent, but because it sounds right - in each case.

And I'd write them that way, too.

Edited by mjmooney

I don't mind 'saying', because people have accents.  But written word is 'a historic' because it's not a silent haytch like honour.

It's 'aytch', haytch isn't a letter. 

• Like 1

Listening to the Beatles back catalogue on a Lithuanian transfer bus between Kaunas and Vilnius being played over the loudspeaker very loud by the Lithuanian driver and my own iPod out of charge . Oh and Saturday afternoon .

Â