Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

£9 million bid made for Jordan Amavi

Aston Villa have tabled a £9 million bid for Nice left-back Jordan Amavi.

Tim Sherwood made the offer yesterday and hopes for permission to fly in the young defender this weekend.Amavi, a France Under-21, was hotly tipped to move this summer, with many leading clubs interested, but Villa have jumped to the front of the queue after putting cash on the table. Sherwood insists his side needs cover at left-back and Amavi, 21, is both a quick defender and comfortable going forward.

Nice are prepared to sell and insiders revealed that the fee has been ‘virtually agreed’.Villa have also just completed a £9m deal for Lille’s midfield dynamo Idrissa Gueye.It is a coup for Villa with Gueye snubbing French giants Marseille because he fancies playing in the Premier League. The 25-year-old passed a medical and finalised terms on a four-year contract yesterday — subject to international clearance.

And the Senegalese star becomes Villa’s biggest deal for four-and-a-half years since Darren Bent signed from Sunderland in an £18m deal which rose to £24m. Gueye said: “Everyone knows England has a league that attracts me, now this is a dream move.”

Southampton, West Ham and Crystal Palace all bid for Gueye, who played over 130 games for Ligue 1 Lille. But Villa insist Gueye is not a replacement for England midfielder Fabian Delph, 25, who has an £8m release clause in his deal and is on Manchester City’s radar.

Sources close to the club say Villa expect Delph and Spurs and Liverpool target Christian Benteke to be on board when Villa fly to Albufeira for pre- season training next week.

And Sherwood is still optimistic about landing Dutch midfielder Tjaronn Chery, 27, as Groningen prepare to accept a £3.5m offer.

Edited by lmarsha_926

This is all too good to be true isn't it? Have we really got all this money?

Not seen the lad play but the stats and those who have seen him play, show him to be one of the best young left backs in the world right now...

Wow I'm excited by this, when I hear talk of a player flying over for talks it can only be good judging by how we have convinced our first 2 signings to sign up. Amavi would be a brilliant signing and we would be well stocked with quality in midfield and defence if he signed. Moves like we are making might convince Benteke to stay meaning we would probably still need a quality attacking midfielder or 2 depending on who leaves and we are definitely looking as we have been linked with Praet, Eyssiric and Chery in the last 24 hours. This transfer window has been great fun so far:)

• Like 3

Nixon also said Cambiasso was signing and there seems to be nothing in that.

That said I do believe he knows Willy Mckay who's son has brokered the Gueye deal....

Did he word it like that? Or just say an offer was made? The interest in Cambiasso seems to be genuine, it was reported by others.

I remember it being reported that we had an interest in Cambiasso but it we switched our attention to the Gueye deal when that became possible or something along those lines.

Yeah, the first report to brake our bid for Gueye mentioned that Cambiasso was an alternative incase it failed. The Leicester Mercury apparently claimed that we had made an offer for him along with a few other clubs - I only saw that cited in passing rather than from the source however, so I might be mistaken with that.

Edited by Isa

Spewing. West ham to sign Ogbonna for 8 million. He would really be great signing. Was hoping we were going after him. Great defender.

Friend of mine is a dual national whose parents moved back about 5 years ago. Huge Juve fans and their opinion of him is pretty lukewarm. Decent with the ball at his feet but very prone to bonehead mistakes.

Spewing. West ham to sign Ogbonna for 8 million. He would really be great signing. Was hoping we were going after him. Great defender.

Were we interested?

It was said we made a bid a few weeks ago but it went quiet.. So not sure

After the last 4-5 years, It really is a refreshing change, but because of these last 4-5 years I cant help but think that we have asked the buyers for Delph and Benteke to delay the announcements so we aren't held to ransom by other clubs.. we don't usually do business this early after all do we?

Was great at Torino but didn't perform to the same level at Juve 

Edit - so i've heard i should have said. Can't say I've seen him more than twice

Edited by tomh621

I'm quite surprised we have not been linked with many out-and-out strikers yet. Can only find old links to Austin.

This.

Must be relatively confidant the big marn ain't going nowhere, or that would be number one priority.

I was thinking the same thing (re: Tekkers not leaving) but I still would've thought we'd want to replace Weimann (unless that will be Robinson) and find someone more consistant than Gabby.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

I was thinking the same thing (re: Tekkers not leaving) but I still would've thought we'd want to replace Weimann (unless that will be Robinson) and find someone more consistant than Gabby.

Guess it depends on the formation we plan on playing, how ever I reckon we will see another striker at the club before the end of the transfer window. Just depends on how expensive, if tekkers leaves or not.