Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I think Gil will be here and play a part next season.

I was wondering this - there's been no quotes from the club to say that he can find a new club has there?

On the other hand Sherwood said that there were players at the club who weren't suited to a relegation struggle but would get a look in next season and that Gil had a cracker left foot or something to that effect.

Aston Villa considering second bid for Dutch midfielder Tjaronn Chery after opening £3.5m offer rejected

tjaronn_chery.jpg?itok=xGl7abRb

Aston Villa have had a bid rejected for FC Groningen midfielder Tjaronn Chery.

Tim Sherwood's men tabled an offer of around £3.5m for the 27-year-old attacking midfielder but the Eredivisie side and reigning Dutch cup holders want to retain his services.

Chery has played the whole of his professional career in Holland but according to Dutch magazine Voetbal International is interested in a move to the Premier League.

The stumbling block though is Groningen's hold over the player, with Chinese side Guangzhou R&F also failing in their long-term pursuit of the former FC Twenteyouth prodigy.

Villa are expected to return with a new second bid for Chery this week as they seek a replacement for Tom Cleverley, who opted to join Everton rather than extend his stay at Villa Park.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/aston-villa-considering-second-bid-dutch-midfielder-tjaronn-chery-after-opening-ps35m-offer#BAB81U6BXM1JrSEm.99
Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I don't believe there have been any direct quotes about Gil, but any number of articles have suggested we're basically open to any bids for him, and that doesn't seem like a stretch at all. I personally don't think you'll see him on a teamsheet again. 

I very much doubt we've opened with a £3.5mil bid, and I also doubt Groningen would be willing to reject that sort of offer

Agree, talkSHITE have just copied the other article and guessed a fee I assume.

Chery bossed it against us in that friendly although we were woeful. If we could get him for £5m or less it would be good business and I also like the fact that he is 27 and is not some unproven kid.

I would rather see us taking risks on players like this than spending twice as much on aging players like Downing who will have no resale value. With the current FFP rules, the only way for us to progress is by buying players on the cheap and selling them on for a profit (i.e. Southampton).

Anyways, didn't Tim say himself that we would not be offering a last pay day to players anymore? Certainly that's what Downing is after.

Also, regarding the news of Delph's buyout clause, I don't see any scenario in which he leaves us this summer. He's our captain, has recently been called up into the England squad and with the European Championships coming up next year he surely wouldn't be foolish enough to move to a top 4 club and jeopardize his chances of playing. He only has to have a chat with Scotty to realize how silly of a career move that would be.

Chery bossed it against us in that friendly although we were woeful. If we could get him for £5m or less it would be good business and I also like the fact that he is 27 and is not some unproven kid.

Chery's career only gained any sort of prominence in the past 18 months. Quite nondescript prior to that. His age in this case doesn't make him somehow more 'proven'. Also, Eredivisie is an odd league where players can look very good then be exposed as rather quite limited when they make the step up. I mean El-Ahmadi has completely bossed at times this season as a controller, whereas he struggled to even trap a ball for us. Don't get me wrong, Chery is worth the puny for a few million (not as high as £5m) but no less a risk then these moves usually are purely because he is a bit older. Same age as El-Ahmadi when we signed him coincidentally.

Edited by Isa

Chery's career only gained any sort of prominence in the past 18 months. Quite nondescript prior to that. His age in this case doesn't make him somehow more 'proven'. Also, Eredivisie is an odd league where players can look very good then be exposed as rather quite limited when they make the step up. I mean El-Ahmadi has completely bossed at times this season as a controller, whereas he struggled to even trap a ball for us. Don't get me wrong, Chery is worth the puny for a few million (not as high as £5m) but no less a risk then these moves usually are purely because he is a bit older. Same age as El-Ahmadi when we signed him coincidentally.

Saying El Ahmadi struggled to trap a ball for us is absolute nonsense, sorry. He had some very good games for us and scored a couple important goals.

• Like 4

Saying El Ahmadi struggled to trap a ball for us is absolute nonsense, sorry. He had some very good games for us and scored a couple important goals.

It isn't actually. His good performances were based upon intense pressing and general off-the-ball work. With the football he was limited - his touch was poor. Not even sure why that is being disputed.

Edited by Isa

It isn't actually. His good performances were based upon intense pressing and general off-the-ball work. With the football he was limited - his touch was poor. Not even sure why that is being disputed actually.

For the price we bought him for i thought we got value for money personally

For every decent game he played for us he gave us another 10 or so bad ones. Honestly he was an awful player who I was glad to see the back of. He's the type of "cheap as chips" signing that plunged us into decline over the last 5 years.

For the price we bought him for i thought we got value for money personally

My point wasn't about him as a signing, it wasn't even intended to be particularly derogatory. I was trying to elude to the contrast in his technical game between the two leagues. He played his part in 13/14 but like I say, his contribution was centred on what he offered out of possession rather than in it.

So three bids, of which if you believe the media being Amavi (nothing since the bid has been reported) secondly Begovic bid rejected (from warming the bench at Stoke to warming it at Chelsea) & the Chery bid also rejected.

While we all understand the process of getting a good deal sometimes you just have to go in with a good/strong offer. If we keep doing this we will continue to miss out. Can't imganine him turning us down unless there's other after him with better prospects.

• Like 1