Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

we got 5 million for Zat Knight, nearly 20 million for Ashley Young who was a year away from being out of contract, 20million for Downing

we are actually good at getting prices for our players its just we dont have any players that other teams will bang down our door for 

• Like 2

I'll take Huddlestone cause it's nice to have cover. Delph, Westwood, Sanchez, Huddlestone, Gardner, and then we have the likes of Grealish and N'zogbia who can play there, or even we can give Sylla a run out. I think we are good with midfield. I'd really like to see:

Delph-Gardner-Westwood as our midfield 3. Then we have Huddlestone, Sanchez as cover. 

Sylla's as good as gone

I had a looked at Townsends apperances this season, had no idea he'd played so little first team football. 10 starts & 7 sub in the league, that's pretty bad.

Must be a reason he's not getting a game at Spurs, I know Pochettino likes to play a high pressing game so one can only assume he feels Townsend doesn't have enough work rate or doesn't suit the system he wants to play.

I'll take Huddlestone cause it's nice to have cover. Delph, Westwood, Sanchez, Huddlestone, Gardner, and then we have the likes of Grealish and N'zogbia who can play there, or even we can give Sylla a run out. I think we are good with midfield. I'd really like to see:

Delph-Gardner-Westwood as our midfield 3. Then we have Huddlestone, Sanchez as cover.

That midfield will get us relegated. We need players to come in that are better than what we have to relegate Westwood and Sanchez as squad players. Not buy squad players to add to our average players. Richards for example is a good start Edited by KSV

Richards, Sinclair and possibly Huddlestone isn't a horrific start to the window but there is a noticeable trend with these guys.

You'll be supporting the England B team before you know it!

Why would Sherwood want Townsend, when Lennon is the better player and available for half the price? Sherwood prefers Lennon to Townsend. The only reason to buy Townsend is if he's going to be played on the LW. If Tim wants a RW then he'll go for Lennon, who he always picked ahead of Townsend. 

As it stands the quality in squad is poor. Players like huddlestone & Townsend are better than what we have currently in those positions.

If we spend 15 million on those two were being mugged. We need to look at the way Southampton build squads

As it stands the quality in squad is poor. Players like huddlestone & Townsend are better than what we have currently in those positions.

If we spend 15 million on those two were being mugged. We need to look at the way Southampton build squads

throwing-money-away.gif

• Like 4

Personally I think Townsend is a dreadful player who's reputation is built entirely on hype from a couple of decent performances two seasons ago. 

On the other hand we are in no position to attract quality players so it wouldn't surprise me if we signed him. 

• Like 1

Huddlestone would be a decent addition to the squad, nothing more though.  

5 mill is crazy money, he was signed by Hull for 5 mill, and hasn't really shown much to suggest he's worth more now, plus in final year of his contract, on prem league wages at a smaller club that will be desperate to cull costs as they prepare for life in the Championship, I would assume has very little interest of playing in that League so Hull really aren't in a great bargaining position, can't imagine more than a handful of other clubs interested in him either.  3 mill plus perhaps some addons sounds more reasonable.

• Like 1

Personally I think Townsend is a dreadful player who's reputation is built entirely on hype from a couple of decent performances two seasons ago.

On the other hand we are in no position to attract quality players so it wouldn't surprise me if we signed him.

A dreadful player!?! That's a bit harsh. After 3 years of watching players like nzog, weimann etc I'd be over the moon with Townsend!

• Like 1

A dreadful player!?! That's a bit harsh. After 3 years of watching players like nzog, weimann etc I'd be over the moon with Townsend!

Hes defiately an upgrade on those players.. but for 10-12 million.. surely we can find a much better player overseas?

Townsend is a very good player I would definitely take him. Him one side Sinclair the only that's actually a frightening prospect for opposing teams in my view

I agree but I find it funny we're being linked with wingers yet apparently we are going to a 5/3/2 formation next season.

• Like 1

I'd prefer Capoue over Huddlestone, but Townsend would definitely be an upgrade on N'Zogbia.

I don't think villa can survive another relegation battle. So we have to get better players. There not particularly exciting but it's defo better

Huddlestone>Sanchez Westwood sylla Gardner

Townsend> nzogbia weiman tonev

Spending that sort of money on Townsend is a wet-dream for Spurs - we should steer well clear. 12million for someone that isn't good enough for their side and they don't want? Sod off. 

What we should be doing here is looking for players who are stand-outs in their teams and on the way up. I'm thinking of players like Ashley Young and Stewart Downing, who were excellent for us. Luckily, Amavi seems to fit that profile. 

We've already taken a massive risk on Richards and I don't want us to do the same on people like Townsend or Huddlestone. It reeks of poor judgement. 

• Like 3