Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/17/aston-villa-line-up-loan-transfer-of-manchester-united-striker-james-wilson-5201473/

Aston Villa are reportedly lining up the loan transfer of Manchester United striker James Wilson.

The Villans have entered discussions with the club ahead of the potential move and are confident they can land him.
The 19-year-old is highly rated by Louis van Gaal but Villa are hoping that they think he can be developed in the West Midlands.
Realistically, Wilson is not close to competing for a starting berth in Manchester and they may prefer him to gain first-team experience elsewhere.
West Brom are also interested in a deal, according to the Sun.

Is he just another Macheda or is he actually the real deal? From what I've seen in his sub games for Man. United including when he came on v us, he looks raw and lacks physical presence.

Would be a very difficult task  when Benteke goes but I'd like someone in who at least can score  goals otherwise you see what happens when teams lose 30 odd goals like Liverpool this season, they decline.

Charlie Austin all day long for me, he obviously dosen't have Benteke's all round game but he is a goalscorer and I think he's a realistic target. In those circumstances Wilson can come in on loan aswell but not him or Bamford on their own to replace Benteke, that could be relegation right there.

Why on Earth would somebody leave a job as number two keeper at Dortmund to become a number two at Villa?

(EDIT: In response to a suggestion on the previous page)

I think people are misunderstanding the process of buying a keeper. You don't get a good goalkeeper unless they're going to be number one, which is how even top teams sometimes have very average number twos (Mark Schwarzer was Chelsea's number two last season). This is because very few teams rotate goalkeepers, and only ever do so because things are going tits up. If we want a number two, we'll end up with Steve Harper or someone.

The only way to improve your goalkeeping corps is to buy someone who is better than your number one. If we're not prepared to buy someone better than Guzan, then we shouldn't buy anyone, and wait a year until Given's contract expires. I think that would be a mistake - we should buy a better keeper than Guzan, and I fully anticipate that will happen over the summer.

Langerak is a clear no 2 at Dortmund to one of Germany's best keepers. At Villa he'd fancy his chances against Guzan by comparison, especially playing for a manager who is not afraid to go with youth.

Langerak is a clear no 2 at Dortmund to one of Germany's best keepers. At Villa he'd fancy his chances against Guzan by comparison, especially playing for a manager who is not afraid to go with youth.

I don't mind Langerak - but would prefer Matt Ryan. Any chance?

Why on Earth would somebody leave a job as number two keeper at Dortmund to become a number two at Villa? 

(EDIT: In response to a suggestion on the previous page)

I think people are misunderstanding the process of buying a keeper. You don't get a good goalkeeper unless they're going to be number one, which is how even top teams sometimes have very average number twos (Mark Schwarzer was Chelsea's number two last season). This is because very few teams rotate goalkeepers, and only ever do so because things are going tits up. If we want a number two, we'll end up with Steve Harper or someone. 

The only way to improve your goalkeeping corps is to buy someone who is better than your number one. If we're not prepared to buy someone better than Guzan, then we shouldn't buy anyone, and wait a year until Given's contract expires. I think that would be a mistake - we should buy a better keeper than Guzan, and I fully anticipate that will happen over the summer. 

Jack Butland signed for Stoke and has had to bide his time behind Begovic but is now staking his claim as number one.

You can't see a difference between moving from a relegated Birmingham to a Premier League Stoke on the one hand, and moving from the second biggest team in Germany to us on the other?

Isn't Wilson out of contract this summer?

No, his contract is until summer 2017.

You sure about that? He was on a list of out of contract players and all I can see in terms of news is that he was to be offered a new deal in February but nothing about him signing.

Is he just another Macheda or is he actually the real deal? From what I've seen in his sub games for Man. United including when he came on v us, he looks raw and lacks physical presence.

Would be a very difficult task  when Benteke goes but I'd like someone in who at least can score  goals otherwise you see what happens when teams lose 30 odd goals like Liverpool this season, they decline.

Charlie Austin all day long for me, he obviously dosen't have Benteke's all round game but he is a goalscorer and I think he's a realistic target. In those circumstances Wilson can come in on loan aswell but not him or Bamford on their own to replace Benteke, that could be relegation right there.

He's much better than Macheda ever was. Sure he looks raw but every young player looks raw. He is unbelievably fast and is amazing at getting in behind defences. He has great finishing from all ranges and has a beautiful snapshot where he generates so much power with the ball at his foot which you can see in his youtube videos. He is also a great dribbler and makes some great darting runs. He is still getting used to the physicality of senior football and has struggled against teams who play really defensive and park the bus as teams don't really do that in the u21s and he is more a player who will thrive with space which he should get at Villa. 

I doubt he'd be brought into replace Benteke, that would be stupid and incredibly risky by Sherwood. I'd imagine you'll bring in someone like Austin with Wilson as back-up. I think he'd link up superbly with Grealish finding him in space. Although I'd probably rather he go to Championship side where he'll play every match.

He's also got an amazing spring in his jump with Nicky Butt saying he has the best standing jump you will ever see. He isn't very good in the air though, often mistiming his jump or misjudging the flight of the ball. If Benteke sticks around he could learn a thing or two from him. An interesting fact too is he beat Rooney's club record in the leg press at the start of the season.

Edited by tommybread
  • Like 2

Isn't Wilson out of contract this summer?

No, his contract is until summer 2017.

You sure about that? He was on a list of out of contract players and all I can see in terms of news is that he was to be offered a new deal in February but nothing about him signing.

Yes, the list was wrong and likely was using transfermarkt as a source which isn't reliable at all. Reliable journalists have said on twitter that he has 2 years remaining and other youth experts have told me the same.

• Like 2

This summer we need a LB, another midfielder along with Cleverley, or and at least 1 , preferably 2, players to play off/create for CB.You look at Soton yday, Mane, and Tadic would be absolutely ideal for us, and they have Long, Rodriguez, and the Dutch guy along with them.

Jack and N'zog have got to get more goals, as does the midfield.

N'Zogbia needs to be replaced, full stop. Grealish is doing a good job contributing assists and creating chances, I think he'll develop more of a goalscoring eye as time goes by, at the moment he's always looking to pass, but with (even more) confidence he'll develop more of a selfish streak.

• Like 2

Kieran Trippier apparently has a £3.5mil release clause from Burnley.

That would be a steal at that price

This. Although i'd imagine he will go to Southampton to replace Clyne.

Who know's mate but Southampton may not sell Clyne and also rumours Man Utd are looking abroad now..

If that's the case hopefully we can get in there 1st for him :)