Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Why on Earth would somebody leave a job as number two keeper at Dortmund to become a number two at Villa? 

(EDIT: In response to a suggestion on the previous page)

I think people are misunderstanding the process of buying a keeper. You don't get a good goalkeeper unless they're going to be number one, which is how even top teams sometimes have very average number twos (Mark Schwarzer was Chelsea's number two last season). This is because very few teams rotate goalkeepers, and only ever do so because things are going tits up. If we want a number two, we'll end up with Steve Harper or someone. 

The only way to improve your goalkeeping corps is to buy someone who is better than your number one. If we're not prepared to buy someone better than Guzan, then we shouldn't buy anyone, and wait a year until Given's contract expires. I think that would be a mistake - we should buy a better keeper than Guzan, and I fully anticipate that will happen over the summer. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

Or krul. Or mignolet.

Guzan is better than both of them.

Adrian has had a good season to be fair to him, but I still think Guzan is the better keeper.

• Like 3

I really don't think he is. 

Why not?

Adrian's made fewer errors leading to goals. He's more agile, is better at penalty-saving, and has a higher successful claim rate on crosses. While the number of saves made isn't a very good metric, Adrian has also made a higher percentage of saves from each area measured (six-yard-box, penalty area and outside the penalty area). 

If you gave me a straightforward choice, I'd rather have Adrian, for sure. 

Adrian has been one of West Ham's standout and most consistant players since breaking through last season. I'm more interested to know why it is being presumed Guzan is better than him?

Edited by Isa

Mignolet is top of the league with 13 clean sheets this season.

Can't all be luck, can it?

Guzan has 9 which is also pretty good

Its not luck.

Nobody is saying mignolet is terrible.

But he certainly isn't a great keeper and I think even Liverpool know that. I'd be hugely surprised if they don't sign a keeper this summer.

We've been over this in the given thread. Clean sheets are great for a keeper but you can't judge them purely on that. There's way too many variables.

Its not luck.

But he certainly isn't a great keeper and I think even Liverpool know that. I'd be hugely surprised if they don't sign a keeper this summer.

We've been over this in the given thread. Clean sheets are great for a keeper but you can't judge them purely on that. There's way too many variables.

And all Im saying is that I don't think there is much between Guzan and Mignolet, they are both ok 

Guzan's way better than Adrian ffs.

To be fair you'd rather Gill here next season than Sherwood.

You really need to move on now..... moaning yourself.

Its not luck.

And all Im saying is that I don't think there is much between Guzan and Mignolet, they are both ok 

Yeah I'd go along with that. They are both midtable keepers, about our level, but if the opportunity comes up to do better we should grab it. 

• Like 1