Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Gets away with it when the knives come out for the relegation team, he was that good at disappearing people forgot he was here... £60k a week was it? Absolute chancer, a couple of good years in the SPL tells you more about that pub league than it does about him 

Yup, absolute passenger.

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Gets away with it when the knives come out for the relegation team, he was that good at disappearing people forgot he was here... £60k a week was it? Absolute chancer, a couple of good years in the SPL tells you more about that pub league than it does about him 

Spent most that season hiding behind the opposition right back. Biggest waster in the team.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

One of the worst players to play for Villa, hated his guts. Him and Lescott had nothing redeemable in that squad

Him and Richardson were the worst players I've ever seen play for us, which takes some doing. Neil Taylor from our current batch is running them close, but he's actually been useful at times.

Just seen Man. United havre recalled Cameron Borthwick Jackson. Played some games for them under Van Gaal in 15/16, endlessly loaned out since. Hardly played at Wolves, Leeds and just the one game for Tranmere this season.

Another who seems to be on a lifetime contract there.

did think recently when I saw Williams vs us and then also the gif of him being royally dicked by mahrez (which cuts out before the ball goes out of play...) man utd have this proud stat of always having a youth team player in the squad, they have this class of 92 thing, they love a home grown player...does that mean they're trying too hard with them?

mctominay for example, ok player, would get in to most average PL teams midfield, a top 4 midfielder though? not a chance, yet utd fans love him, you'll often see "if only we had mctominay" on social media as a defence of a poor performance, Williams might be a good prospect but he's not ready, Pereira isn't good enough, Lingard has been there too long, you can make arguments for tuanzebe and fosu-mensah about to stay there too long, they have greenwood and chong coming through next, chong is 20 with 4 senior appearances to his name

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

did think recently when I saw Williams vs us and then also the gif of him being royally dicked by mahrez (which cuts out before the ball goes out of play...) man utd have this proud stat of always having a youth team player in the squad, they have this class of 92 thing, they love a home grown player...does that mean they're trying too hard with them?

mctominay for example, ok player, would get in to most average PL teams midfield, a top 4 midfielder though? not a chance, yet utd fans love him, you'll often see "if only we had mctominay" on social media as a defence of a poor performance, Williams might be a good prospect but he's not ready, Pereira isn't good enough, Lingard has been there too long, you can make arguments for tuanzebe and fosu-mensah about to stay there too long, they have greenwood and chong coming through next, chong is 20 with 4 senior appearances to his name

It was no different under Fergie, likes of Fletcher and O'Shea would come in and frequently do a job although of course real world class players like Rooney and Ronaldo in final third made the overall process easier (add in Van Der Sar, Evra, Rio and Vidic as their regular defenders).

I find it commendable tbh the way football has gone in last 20 years.

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It was no different under Fergie, likes of Fletcher and O'Shea would come in and frequently do a job although of course real world class players like Rooney and Ronaldo in final third made the overall process easier (add in Van Der Sar, Evra, Rio and Vidic as their regular defenders).

I find it commendable tbh the way football has gone in last 20 years.

Ferguson knew how to deal with them in fairness, except Scholes his class of 92 had limits but he made them look like stars

In 2002 he went by the name "The King" in Turkey.

Today, the football icon Hakan Sükür is relying on driving taxis during political exile in the United States.

"Erdogan has taken everything away from me," says the 48-year-old

"The Turkish people deserve this," Hakan Sükür said after securing a historic World Cup bronze for his beloved Turkey with a goal and two forwards in the 3-2 win against South Korea . Football success in 2002 is the nation's foremost of all time and team captain Sükür was rewarded after the tournament with an honorary medal by President Erdogan.

The striker has today scored more national goals for Turkey than anyone else (51) and also managed to collect a small unimaginable 217 goals for club club Galatasaray during his career. Something that gave the national hero the nickname "Kral" (in short "King") in his home country.

After putting the soccer shoes on the shelf in 2008, Sükür was elected in June 2011 to the Turkish parliament as a member of the governing AKP. But the Turkish political deed would be about something completely different from what he imagined.

"If I had never set foot in Parliament, I would never have understood how Turkey is governed,"

Hakan Sükür quickly became a critic of the AKP party's leader and founder, the country's current president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. In December 2013, Sükür left the party following corruption charges against Erdogan and in protest of the AKP's decision to ban the type of schools run by the Gülen movement.

Sükür himself is a well-known supporter of Fethullah Gülen , who in the early 2000s cooperated with the AKP but in time became one of the enemies of President Erdogan. Today, the organization is stamped in Turkey - which has also had drastic consequences for Hakan Sükür.

In February 2016, the football icon was accused of publicly insulting President Erdogan and his son on social media. Sükür, who risked being sentenced to four years in prison for the crime, was again indicted in August the same year for his links to the Gülen movement.

Already a year earlier, the icon had foreseen the development and moved to the United States. There he now lives in the capital, Washington, in political exile and during periods under police protection, Merkur writes.

"Attacked with stones"

According to Sükür, it was simply not an option to stay in Turkey, where his cancerous parents are reported to be in house arrest.

- My wife's shop was attacked with stones and my children were harassed in the street. As soon as I opened my mouth I was threatened, says Sükür 

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/Vb2034/var-nationens-kung--nu-kor-han-taxi

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Turkey had some really good players around that time, Yildary Basturk and Hasan Sas are two I remember from that period.

Rustü, and not forgetting our old mate Alpay

• Like 1

Â