Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

That hamstring injury he got at 19 for Liverpool killed a yard of his pace....he was amazing at that 98 world cup for how rapid he was and brilliant finisher over a number of years.

He lost his hunger when he joined Newcastle...horse racing was taking over then for him and he commuted from Cheshire by helicopter for training.

Wish he could've continued for a few more years...spare the inane commentary on BT.

I always rated Fowler more than Owen. Fowler was a sublime finisher. 

England had some options back then... Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler, Wright, Cole, Ferdinand, Sutton, Collymore and probably others I've missed. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

England had some options back then... Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler, Wright, Cole, Ferdinand, Sutton, Collymore and probably others I've missed. 

Yep, Fowler is the best English  finisher I've seen. 

You could add Big Dion and Kevin Phillips to that list as well. They'd all walk into the current England squad. It's a travesty that Ferdinand, Cole, Collymore and Phillips have less caps combined than players like Heskey and Crouch. They were just unfortunate that they played in era when we probably had the best group of strikers England has ever seen.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Xela said:

Matt le Tissier :P

Owens pace probably gave him the edge.. But fowler was the most natural finisher of them all.

21 minutes ago, Jenko#4 said:

You could add Big Dion and Kevin Phillips to that list as well. They'd all walk into the current England squad. It's a travesty that Ferdinand, Cole, Collymore and Phillips have less caps combined than players like Heskey and Crouch. They were just unfortunate that they played in era when we probably had the best group of strikers England has ever seen.

It's a bit harsh on Heskey, played a very pivotal role for many an England side (and too be honest did at job at us). His role wasn't to score, which yes he was awful at, but the rest of his play was pretty good.

But yes those strikers were all very good. Shearers dominance and consistency over a long period of time did stop others getting caps.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Dublin...more limited than the others but was still a very good finisher especially in the air.

Did he go to France 98?

2 hours ago, Xela said:

You forgot the legend Fash the Bash.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Dublin...more limited than the others but was still a very good finisher especially in the air.

Did he go to France 98?

Nope, he only ever played in friendlies I think.

'98 options were Owen, Shearer, Ferdinand and Sheringham. I'd have had Dublin in front of Ferdinand, but what we'd give for any of those now.

2 hours ago, Jenko#4 said:

Owen was a brilliant finisher even when he lost his pace, but he never looked like he enjoyed or wanted to play football so it seemed he never cared. Fowler was a natural predator and he seemed to care so I can see why he is more popular with fan but Owen was colder and its what you want in your team

• Like 1

On 11/04/2015 at 19:51, JamieZ said:

I will not be able to contribute to this thread in any meaningful way as I cannot remember any of the players I've completely forgotten about.

Still one of my favourite posts ever :) 

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:42, Mantis said:

Say what you like about Heskey but at least he wasn't a word removed like so many other England players.

He was constantly derided for falling over all the time...I remember those danger Heskey warning signs when he signed for SHA.

4 hours ago, Dirk said:

Hitzlesperger or Federico Macheda. Maybe Vassell, remember Turkey?

Good shout....can we put a word filter on here for that c***'s name?!

I actually hate him more for the goal he scored v us in 2010 rather than the 09 one as that ruined our best chance of beating them at VP in 20 years when we were 2 up, playing brilliantly and they had Obertan and him upfront.

I know Cardiff released him but I have visions of SHA signing him and him rifling in a 25 yard winner v us for a last minute winner.

Â