2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Sherwood just said that he doesn't think anyone is close. First of all he doesn't seem very sure about it and secondly we might take it to imply that there is still interest in buying the club.

Edited by useless

I think the longer he stays the more we become just a lower half team aiming to survive.

I don't think that's the case at all. It's not in Lerner's financial interests to have that happen. He wasn't able to shift the club for 250m, then for 150m, continued poor finishes would mean even lower figures - relegation would mean practically no chance of him getting anything close to the money he put into the club back. He likely thought he'd have no problem getting 150m, and probably deemed the losses on that figure the bottom rung of acceptable, which is why he came up with it. 

Now he's got to be accepting the fact that the only way to get his money back, or close to it, is to have a successful (relatively speaking) Aston Villa that's attractive to buyers. In the past 12 months he's gotten the off the pitch stuff heading in the right direction, but that wasn't enough to bring a sale even though he likely thought it would be. The only place left to focus on is the actual results in the hope that improvement there WILL help him shift the club

But how desperate is it to shift the club? He wants nothing to do with us and has openly admitted that.  He might be happy to sit on the club for a few years and just wait for it to be sold.  I doubt he's desperate for the money right now.  He's done little in his time here to give me any faith that he would want to do any of what you say or do anything to see us have long term success.  You have a lot of faith in a man that has overseen the past abysmal 5 years.

It won't sell if it keeps going the way it has been though. The last 2 years of failed attempts to sell it will show him that. If he sits on it and things continue as they are, the money he'll get from a sale decreases every season. He's a businessman, and businessmen don't like to hold onto deprecating investments

But is it a depreciating business?  More and more money will keep piling into the premier league, in the near future it's going to continue to get bigger and bigger.  As long as we stay in the league and he's not covering losses then surely a premier league club will not lose value over time.  

Not the worst news really.

We have a good set up currently. Sure a new owner could've been exciting but we have finally seem to have something good happening here.

How we finished 17th ffs !!

And if we finish 17th again then DVIN will be wrong. 

I think the longer he stays the more we become just a lower half team aiming to survive.

I don't think that's the case at all. It's not in Lerner's financial interests to have that happen. He wasn't able to shift the club for 250m, then for 150m, continued poor finishes would mean even lower figures - relegation would mean practically no chance of him getting anything close to the money he put into the club back. He likely thought he'd have no problem getting 150m, and probably deemed the losses on that figure the bottom rung of acceptable, which is why he came up with it. 

Now he's got to be accepting the fact that the only way to get his money back, or close to it, is to have a successful (relatively speaking) Aston Villa that's attractive to buyers. In the past 12 months he's gotten the off the pitch stuff heading in the right direction, but that wasn't enough to bring a sale even though he likely thought it would be. The only place left to focus on is the actual results in the hope that improvement there WILL help him shift the club

But how desperate is it to shift the club? He wants nothing to do with us and has openly admitted that.  He might be happy to sit on the club for a few years and just wait for it to be sold.  I doubt he's desperate for the money right now.  He's done little in his time here to give me any faith that he would want to do any of what you say or do anything to see us have long term success.  You have a lot of faith in a man that has overseen the past abysmal 5 years.

It won't sell if it keeps going the way it has been though. The last 2 years of failed attempts to sell it will show him that. If he sits on it and things continue as they are, the money he'll get from a sale decreases every season. He's a businessman, and businessmen don't like to hold onto deprecating investments

But is it a depreciating business?  More and more money will keep piling into the premier league, in the near future it's going to continue to get bigger and bigger.  As long as we stay in the league and he's not covering losses then surely a premier league club will not lose value over time.  

He couldn't sell it at 250m last year, then he couldn't sell it at 150m this year. That's a 100m deprecation in what he was asking for in 12 months, and still no takers. The worse the club performs, and the less relevant it becomes, the less it's worth. He's been gearing everything up towards a sale for the last 2 1/2 years, and the sale hasn't come, he can no longer continue to run it in the "ready to sell" fashion any more, that's reached its limit now. The longer it continues, the less it's worth

We have no idea how much he was trying to sell it for last year and this year so there's no way you can claim the clubs value has dropped £100 million in a year.  And he can continue running it like that because he may not be desperate for a sale.  He clearly isn't as it seems we've had the chance to be sold twice and it hasn't happened.  

My take away is that the consortium who were closest to buying us have pulled out of the deal but there are still others interested.

I'm sure there's a hell of a lot of people who are interested. It's meaningless though. 

• Like 1

We have no idea how much he was trying to sell it for last year and this year so there's no way you can claim the clubs value has dropped £100 million in a year.  And he can continue running it like that because he may not be desperate for a sale.  He clearly isn't as it seems we've had the chance to be sold twice and it hasn't happened.  

It was widely reported last summer that the asking price was 250m, just as it was widely reported this summer that it was 150m. Both could be way wide of the mark, but we've got little else to go on. And although you reckon he's not desperate to sell, the fact that he's actively attempted to do just that twice in a year suggests otherwise. 

It was widely reported last summer that the asking price was 250m, just as it was widely reported this summer that it was 150m. Both could be way wide of the mark, but we've got little else to go on. And although you reckon he's not desperate to sell, the fact that he's actively attempted to do just that twice in a year suggests otherwise. 

I think he wants to sell, he wants nothing to do with us.  But that doesn't mean he's desperate to sell and that doesn't mean he's desperate enough to want to build a successful team to help him sell.  We have no idea what he really plans.  The only facts we have are what we've seen from being a club owned by the man.  And it's been poor, he's made us worse. I hope you're right, but there's really nothing to suggest it.

My take away is that the consortium who were closest to buying us have pulled out of the deal but there are still others interested.

I'm sure there's a hell of a lot of people who are interested. It's meaningless though. 

Tony Adams it is then :D 

• Like 1

I hope you're right, but there's really nothing to suggest it.

I'd say there is. Bringing Fox in shows, to me, a willingness to start going about things properly rather than just treading water. We'll know for sure this time next year either way

• Like 1

Getting the club back to being profitable, means we can spend more.  Success leads to bigger income both from commercial side and premier league / sky cash as well as increased gates and season tickets.  All of which feed into more cash to invest under FFP.

We've been moving in the right direction (financially) over the last year and this summer will see more invested in the playing side, hopefully leading to an upward spiral.  New owners wouldn't massively change the outlook I don't think.

Mid-table next season, kick on to top 10 the next and we'll be back on track and a more attractive and valuable asset to sell.  If the takeover is dead now, Lerner needs to keep the team in place (plus an experienced chairman) to deliver that.

• Like 2

Aww smeg, I was really hoping to be sold this summer.  Sherwood is a pretty darn good source for the info so it is hard to think that this is anything other than genuine.  It just feels like we are in a holding pattern as a club, waiting to see what our next move will be.  It will take a remarkable effort from the team under Randy to move the club forward.  Thank god for Delph staying or I would be really quite sad about football now.

Wonder how many season tickets they sold on the back of the exclusivity news....

Do you really think out fans are that stupid? Those who have purchased a st (myself included) would've done so anyway.
So you speak for all fans now do you?

If we were to improve our position in the League and therefor also our financial position year on year, I suspect Lerner would remain, but leaving the running of the club to Fox, Sherwood and/ or the new chairman. I get the feeling that he is gradually renewing his affiliation with the club since the black days last year when he wanted no more to do with it.

I am not bothered who owns the club as long as he facilitates an improvement.

While we are not successful we will struggle our asses of to get sold. If we start to omprove and get up the table a little , maybe just maybe. But at the moment unfortunately its hard to say as a fan, but we simply have nothing going for us. We aren't even at Stoke's or even Swansea's level. 

We are asking someone to buy a mutimillion pound business which is still failing year after year.

Wonder how many season tickets they sold on the back of the exclusivity news....

Do you really think out fans are that stupid? Those who have purchased a st (myself included) would've done so anyway.
So you speak for all fans now do you?
Where have I said that do?

I'm merely suggesting that I can't imagine any fan would've brought a st solely on a rumour (never even any comments from the club) that the club was being sold.

Â