2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

If we were somehow lucky enough to get mega rich owners, they'd probably want a banner name in charge, regardless of how fair that is on our Tim. Otherwise, I'm sure he'll be here with us for the start of the season.

Bit like how Man City's owners kept Hughes?

At the time was he not considered to be a big name manager? Certainly bigger than Sherwood is now.

Not really.

Sherwood isn't going this summer - accept it.

Word of caution - a period of exclusivity does not always result in a takeover.

Heard something?

Nope.  Just that I've seen it time and time again where this kind of deal ends up going nowhere. 

If we were somehow lucky enough to get mega rich owners, they'd probably want a banner name in charge, regardless of how fair that is on our Tim. Otherwise, I'm sure he'll be here with us for the start of the season.

At the time was he not considered to be a big name manager? Certainly bigger than Sherwood is now.

Not really.

Sherwood isn't going this summer - accept it.

I've hardly entertained the idea that he might leave us, I've only offered up an improbable scenario in which he might be replaced.

• Like 1

Given that Sherwood has basically no history of transfer windows at the moment it seems a little unfair to be comparing him to O'Neill in that regard.

Sometimes it feels like people are just desperate to jump on Sherwood. All things considered he did a damn good job last season hence why people have had to resort to hypotheticals.

Are you serious? I was just asking the question to see people's thoughts. Please show me where where I have 'jumped' on to Sherwood? I was actually one of the few that was very pleased with his appointment and looking forward to the new season with him in charge.

Obviously only time will tell how he does in the transfer market but if I was a billionaire buying a club and ready to splash a lot of money at making it successful. I would be very careful with who I would give the responsibility of splashing that cash.

Surely that's allowed to be discussed without it seen as an attack on Sherwood?

Btw You could also say Gregory earned the right to spend big too after his initial spell in charge. It's a tough call to make for any owner.

Given that Sherwood has basically no history of transfer windows at the moment it seems a little unfair to be comparing him to O'Neill in that regard.

Sometimes it feels like people are just desperate to jump on Sherwood. All things considered he did a damn good job last season hence why people have had to resort to hypotheticals.

Are you serious? I was just asking the question to see people's thoughts. Please show me where where I have 'jumped' on to Sherwood? I was actually one of the few that was very pleased with his appointment and looking forward to the new season with him in charge.

Obviously only time will tell how he does in the transfer market but if I was a billionaire buying a club and ready to splash a lot of money at making it successful. I would be very careful with who I would give the responsibility of splashing that cash.

Btw You could also say Gregory earned the right to spend big too after his initial spell in charge. It's a tough call to make for any owner.

That second part of the post wasn't directed at you or anybody in particular.

But did he choose the players that followed? wasn't he just told Robinho was signing?

Fair enough and I wasn't comparing him with MON either. I was just pointing out how giving a manager with no transfer history a lot of money to spend could be seen as a big risk by new owners.

• Like 1

We have never really had a standout manager for spending money.....mainly due to not having any, to test them with.

Perhaps Ron Saunders ably assisted by Tony Barton was the closest to having so many players that actually turned out well.....but that was down to prudency/blending rather than unadulterated spending.

Fair enough and I wasn't comparing him with MON either. I was just pointing out how giving a manager with no transfer history a lot of money to spend could be seen as a big risk by new owners.

I will be shocked rigid if we have new owners with that much money to spend ......it will become an issue.

Edited by TRO

We have never really had a standout manager for spending money.....mainly due to not having any, to test them with.

Perhaps Ron Saunders ably assisted by Tony Barton was the closest to having so many players that actually turned out well.....but that was down to prudency/blending rather than unadulterated spending.

Yes can only think of one mistake Saunders made in the transfer market and that was Tommy Craig

You never know. If 10 years ago I told you Man City would have the richest owners in the world and 2 titles in the near future you would have told me I'd lost the plot. Anything is possible.

.....I guess its like waiting for the "perfect storm"

Edited by TRO

Yes can only think of one mistake Saunders made in the transfer market and that was Tommy Craig

....and even then, it didn't take him long to unload.

But most of us thought it was a good signing back then. 

• Like 1

You never know. If 10 years ago I told you Man City would have the richest owners in the world and 2 titles in the near future you would have told me I'd lost the plot. Anything is possible.

Since then the rules have been changed to ensure it never happens again. 

Since then the rules have been changed to ensure it never happens again.

For now. They will be changed again.

Im starting to think theres nothing in this summers takeover speculation. I know there is supposed to be wall to wall silence and due dillegence can take months. But I can't feeling its a lot of bluster about very little. Lets not forget the season starts early august this year, Players report back early July, and TS will want to be signing players shortly after this.

I Really think if people had been sniffing around the club since early April, we would be pretty far down the line. If we don't hear anything in the next couple of weeks i reckon its very much 'as you were' ...

Probably have late transfer window activity if they are in place on time, also depends what the owners are like they could quite easily buy players they want and want a "head coach" rather than a manager. Either way I can't see them spending much on top to start with in this window if I'm honest until they have judged whether Sherwood is the manager they want to progress with or not.

Â