What's your favorite European club?

Marka Ragnos

I'm not in any way wanting to insult anyone, but when English people tell me of their liking for Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern etc, it just reminds me of when non Brits profess their love for Man Ure, Liverpool or Chelsea.

I agree, but in my case I lived in the city and have seen Real play live at the Bernabeu on several occasions. I think that gives me a tiny bit of allowance to like them.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Developed a soft spot for Fiorentina watching Serie A on Channel 4 when I was a kid. Used to love watching Batistuta, Rui Costa, Gomes etc. This liking for them was reignited when watching them in the CL and during a holiday in which I fell in love the the city of Florence. Would love to go over and watch a game there one day

• Like 3

Feyenoord. A while back I decided to become a little more 'hipster' in terms of my footballing horizons - Eredivisie seemed like a good place to start.

However I knew I'd need to adopt a team to muster any permanent interest in the league - in complete contrast to The Rev's post basically. Feyenoord had a strong history but have underachieved a bit in recent times so seemed like the obvious choice for a Villan. Plus - most importantly - Villa won the European Cup in their stadium which was as sure a sign as any!

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

Anderlecht. Simply because I went there for the 82 semi final, the first time I ever went to a Villa game abroad, and I kind of kept an eye on them. 

I went to a fair few of their games in the early 90s home and away but haven't been to one for a long time now. Their star player in the time I was going to games was Luc Nillis. Whatever happened to him. I also saw Nii Lamptey play a few times 

• Like 3

Anderlecht. Simply because I went there for the 82 semi final, the first time I ever went to a Villa game abroad, and I kind of kept an eye on them. 

I went to a fair few of their games in the early 90s home and away but haven't been to one for a long time now. Their star player in the time I was going to games was Luc Nillis. Whatever happened to him. I also saw Nii Lamptey play a few times 

Didn't they try and get us kicked out of the final, due to trouble at their ground during the match? Would you still feel the same, if they'd got their way?

• Like 1

I like all the successful teams.

you are aware this is an Aston Villa forum ;)

Didn't they try and get us kicked out of the final, due to trouble at their ground during the match? Would you still feel the same, if they'd got their way?

not to mention a few years later they were done for match fixing, think it was against FOrest

It used to be Barcelona but I have totally lost interest in them cause they are one of those clubs who contributed the most to have ruined football.

Its Aston Villa and Malmo FF.

Had a great time at Commerzbank Arena in Frankfurt last year so I do watch for their results nowadays. 

• Like 1

VfB Stuttgart. 

Only a very recent thing (this month in fact) but I'm already planning my next trip back...

Saw them back in September (their only home win this season against Hannover 96) and have had a soft spot for them since Thomas Hitzlsperger signed for them after leaving us.

Beautiful city, cracking stadium, brilliant fans and I had the added bonus of heading to the Oktoberfest after the match too!!!

• Like 1

Developed a soft spot for Fiorentina watching Serie A on Channel 4 when I was a kid. Used to love watching Batistuta, Rui Costa, Gomes etc. This liking for them was reignited when watching them in the CL and during a holiday in which I fell in love the the city of Florence. Would love to go over and watch a game there one day

that's how I got into liking Roma - used to love watching James Richardson on Football Italia on C4 back along! Certainly changed how to report on football, outside having an espresso reading the sports pages!!!!

• Like 1

They did yes. Clutching at straws really although the trouble was quite bad. But I bet if it had been the other way around we might have tried the same tactic so I don't really know. 

On the times I did go and see them and talked to some of their fans they never really held a grudge against us. Although they did say we were by far the worst behaved fans that they had seen

• Like 1

Probably Rayo Vallecano.

Started watching La Liga on Sky around 98/99, they'd just been promoted and were actually leading La Liga for about a month.

I like mad clubs, their ground had one stand behind the goal with just advertising hoardings. Their shirt also had a Bee as it's sponsor aswell. Bizarre. Their centre forward was also called Bolo.

I quite liked Perugia back then aswell, mad club who signed Gadafi's son but also showed a bit of foresight by signing Nakata who made them a bit of profit.

They went bust so I'd probably say now I have a soft spot for Udinese as I love Di Natale and have big respect for what they've done over the years. You could certainly say the same for Villareal in Spain aswell.

• Like 1

Milan for me.

Started in about 2002 when European football was starting to become more available for me to watch and learn about (i.e. champ man/fifa).

I adored the way they bought players who were "past their best" and made them into Champions League winning teams.

I love it how they can buy players or keep players going at the top level (until very recently) well into their late 30s - keeping the legends alive.

Players like Maldini too - just pure inspiration.  He's the epitome of a family man, excellent professional, world class footballer and he's so humble about his life's achievements it actually hurts.

Then you have players like Antonini, squad players who were happy just to be part of the Milan family.  Most players say after they leave Milan it's like a family, and I think it's one of the closest clubs to Villa in that respect - the players who have played here all love us (see Merson etc).

They've hit hard times recently, but they'll be back once Burlesconi/Galliani leave the club.

I've never seen them live, I've seen Inter 3 times (once @ Villa, once @ Camp Nou & once @ San Siro), but I've never really liked them apart from Zanetti - who is like Maldini in many respects :)

Forza Milan!

I'm no great lover of the big european teams, I'm suspicious of english fans who have someone like Barca as their second team as to me that seems too easy and boring.

That said if there's one euro giant I could actively support it would be Milan. Always liked the kit and the players they've generally had over the years, prefer them to Inter anyway.

Just sad to see the state they're in nowadays.

• Like 1

Barca

started following them when i was a kid, loved luis enrique for some reason, saw them play at wolves when i was about 12 and that was that, been over there twice

will always have a soft spot for ajax because that mid 90s team was amazing, dortmund for the kits, inter because its where youri djorkaeff played, wouldnt say i support any of them but they would be my preferential team in that league 

What year was that, I do remember in the early 00s they tended to come to England and do a mini pre season tour, Ajax were another.

Imagine the demand now as seeing Messi live in the flesh would be quite a big thing.

Â