What's your favorite European club?

Marka Ragnos

BvB, Barcelona, Torino, Ajax, Benfica, Auxerre, Olympiakos, Partizan Belgrade, Ferencvaros, Hajduk Split, Torpedo Moscow, Metalist Kharkiv, CSKA Sofia, Rapid Bucharest, Gronik Zabre and Kidderminster Harriers

I go to all their home and away games every week and buy their kits from sports soccer in basildon town center.

• Like 1

I'm not in any way wanting to insult anyone, but when English people tell me of their liking for Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern etc, it just reminds me of when non Brits profess their love for Man Ure, Liverpool or Chelsea.

It's entirely different though in our case is it not?

If I said my first team was Barcelona, then that would be weird.

But as a team I admire what's wrong with that?

If a non brit supports, I dunno, Shanghai United (I've made that up), but their favourite foreign team is Liverpool, there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not in any way wanting to insult anyone, but when English people tell me of their liking for Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern etc, it just reminds me of when non Brits profess their love for Man Ure, Liverpool or Chelsea.

It's entirely different though in our case is it not?

If I said my first team was Barcelona, then that would be weird.

But as a team I admire what's wrong with that?

If a non brit supports, I dunno, Shanghai United (I've made that up), but their favourite foreign team is Liverpool, there's nothing wrong with that.

There's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't sit right with me is all. I've admiration for some of the big European clubs (and smaller ones), I just would never say I favoured one over any of the others. Mind, I suppose I feel the same about all clubs other than Villa. Truth be told, modern football has probably made me care less about the game as a whole, but that probably a matter for another thread.

Edited by dAVe80

Montpellier. When I was about 10 or so I got a subbeteo set, and wanted more teams. My mum worked in a toy shop, and they had quite a selection of various teams, mostly ones I had never heard of. I picked Montpellier because their kit looked the best.

• Like 1

Milan for me.

Started in about 2002 when European football was starting to become more available for me to watch and learn about (i.e. champ man/fifa).

I adored the way they bought players who were "past their best" and made them into Champions League winning teams.

I love it how they can buy players or keep players going at the top level (until very recently) well into their late 30s - keeping the legends alive.

Players like Maldini too - just pure inspiration.  He's the epitome of a family man, excellent professional, world class footballer and he's so humble about his life's achievements it actually hurts.

Then you have players like Antonini, squad players who were happy just to be part of the Milan family.  Most players say after they leave Milan it's like a family, and I think it's one of the closest clubs to Villa in that respect - the players who have played here all love us (see Merson etc).

They've hit hard times recently, but they'll be back once Burlesconi/Galliani leave the club.

I've never seen them live, I've seen Inter 3 times (once @ Villa, once @ Camp Nou & once @ San Siro), but I've never really liked them apart from Zanetti - who is like Maldini in many respects :)

Forza Milan!

• Like 1

Don't really follow anyone, but I'm always pleased to see Athletic Bilbao doing well, due to the UEFA Cup games we played against them a while back. Oh and I've got a daft fascination with Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Scotland is in Europe? I thought it was in 1975.

• Like 2

What's my favourite European club?  I've given this some thought and I'd have to say my answer is Aston Villa. 

I've said it lots of times on this forum, I support two teams.  Aston Villa and whoever is playing against Birmingham City.   After that I kinda like everybody, I seem to be a rare breed of football fan who can watch games as a neutral and genuinely enjoy them.  I don't have a team in every division, I don't really have a soft spot for any other clubs, I don't really hate any other clubs (with the possible exception of Juventus) but I guess sometimes I have an extra admiration for particular teams that certain clubs have managed to assemble.  I quite like what Simeone has done at Atleti, I admire what Southampton and Swansea have achieved in the last five years but I guess I'm with those sides at the minute because they are new names doing interesting things.  If I had to pick a side in the Real Madrid - Barcelona rivalry then at the moment it would probably be Madrid just because Barcelona's dominance was getting a bit much to take and they had become incredibly smug about it all but that is just a short term allegiance on my part because no doubt Madrid will do exactly the same when they win a couple of league titles in a row.  

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 4

Barca

started following them when i was a kid, loved luis enrique for some reason, saw them play at wolves when i was about 12 and that was that, been over there twice

will always have a soft spot for ajax because that mid 90s team was amazing, dortmund for the kits, inter because its where youri djorkaeff played, wouldnt say i support any of them but they would be my preferential team in that league 

Werder Bremen and Fiorentina.

I started liking Werder in the early 2000s when they had their Bundeliga winning side. Klose, Mertesacker, Micoud, Diego, Ailton, Borowski. Great team, and supported them ever since. I own a few of their shirts.

Fiorentina started before then, it was an odd story. Nuno Gomes was somebody I'd always sign on FIFA 2002 (iirc) from Fiorentina. Started a career with them, got to know the players in and around that era (Gabriel Batistuta, Enrico Chisea, Manuel Rui Costa, Angelo Di Livio, Predrag Mijatovic,  Francesco Toldo). I went on holiday to Portugal around that time and managed to snag myself a fake Gomes Fiorentina shirt too which I was pretty happy with. \o/

Edited by adz.villa
  • Like 1

What's my favourite European club?  I've given this some thought and I'd have to say my answer is Aston Villa. 

I've said it lots of times on this forum, I support two teams.  Aston Villa and whoever is playing against Birmingham City.   After that I kinda like everybody, I seem to be a rare breed of football fan who can watch games as a neutral and genuinely enjoy them.  I don't have a team in every division, I don't really have a soft spot for any other clubs, I don't really hate any other clubs (with the possible exception of Juventus) but I guess sometimes I have an extra admiration for particular teams that certain clubs have managed to assemble.  I quite like what Simeone has done at Atleti, I admire what Southampton and Swansea have achieved in the last five years but I guess I'm with those sides at the minute because they are new names doing interesting things.  If I had to pick a side in the Real Madrid - Barcelona rivalry then at the moment it would probably be Madrid just because Barcelona's dominance was getting a bit much to take and they had become incredibly smug about it all but that is just a short term allegiance on my part because no doubt Madrid will do exactly the same when they win a couple of league titles in a row.  

I'd say I'm more or less the same.

I don't support anyone other than Villa. I admire plenty of european teams, with Barca probably being my favourite, but I don't support them. I feel no sadness or despair if they lose.

In fact, I've said before that i actually don't think supporting Barca would be all that great (or another european giant for that matter)

Borussia Mönchengladbach, purely because they were the closest Bundesliga team to me when I lived in Germany as a kid. It's only been the past couple of years that I've took an active interest in them though seeing as the Bundesliga is getting a lot more coverage in the UK now than it has before.

• Like 1

Â