The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

For those who want Moyes, Sociedad are not doing a lot better than we are this season.

48 points in 38 gAmes since he's been there. I'd sell my mother for a tally like that at Villa at this point. 

I find that interesting.

Youare dead set against Sherwood, and positive about MMoyes.

Yet going on points from games since appointed, had Sherwood won just 2 more games, and Moyes lost 2 more ( both perfectly statistically likely) their points tallies would be identical.

And Moyes hasn't dealt with either a massive overhaul or a side which had already been bouncing along the bottom.

thats a 12 points difference. 

What a bizarre point

If you think it is "bizarre" to even imagine we could have won two more games since February and that Moyes could have lost two, I think it is your lack of imagination which is bizarre.Look, I know it is the internet, and simple objective facts don't count for much, especially when the mob mentality takes hold, but yes, it is 12 points, which could be called 'a lot', but it is also what I said, which illustrates things differently.

You are free to ignore it, but I don't see how you fail to see what it is.

If we'd scored 12 more points last season, we'd have finished 10th ahead of Palace (at least, depending on who we took them from). If we'd scored 12 more points this season, we'd be ahead of Leicester in 5th, assuming we got some of those points against them. 12 points is a massive difference. 

• Like 1

For those who want Moyes, Sociedad are not doing a lot better than we are this season.

48 points in 38 gAmes since he's been there. I'd sell my mother for a tally like that at Villa at this point. 

I find that interesting.

Yet going on points from games since appointed, had Sherwood won just 2 more games, and Moyes lost 2 more ( both perfectly statistically likely) their points tallies would be identical.

And Moyes hasn't dealt with either a massive overhaul or a side which had already been bouncing along the bottom.

Erm...

I am seeing some negative crap being written about Moyes but let's not forget he was the man that Manchester United wanted to succeed the great Alex Ferguson. Before anyone says that he failed miserably he was on a hiding to nothing at Old Trafford. Not only was he following in the footsteps of the most successful football manager the world has ever seen, he was left with a squad of players that had come to the end of their time. It was a bit like Alex Ferguson had squeezed the toothpaste tube and got out the last drop and Moyes was left with an empty tube and had to clean his teeth with soot until he could replenish the tube. Unfortunately neither manure's fans nor the media nor the board were going shopping with him.

I would take him at VP tomorrow.

The problem with focusing on personalities such as Moyes and even Rodgers is that these discussions have a way of overstating the power of potential Villa managers, IMHO. 

The whole ecology of the club isn't set up for a strong, old-school manager type. 

We're run by a de facto committee that have a profound influence on the club's direction with transfers, etc. What is more, they are ALL very much in the learning stages, too, as are half the new players. No new manager is going to be able to transform all that magically.

So ... what are the variables?

We're not getting a new owner. We're not getting a new football director. We're not getting a new CEO.

The only slots open to change are manager and players. 

If Moyes comes in, and he gels with the committee, we'll all be pulling in one directions -- and that's good.

But we also need to address the other variable -- serious weak points in the squad.

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF Moyes (or someone) can work productively with Reilly-Fox-Kulak-Lerner and get in a scorer and a keeper in January who can distribute and stop shots, then I think we've got a chance to stay up.

I like Tim alright, but I fear the real problem is that he's become a distraction.

That's right -- Tim is a distraction -- we have other things to worry about -- and his style of leadership isn't allowing the focus to be on those things. 

I find that interesting.

What a bizarre point

If you think it is "bizarre" to even imagine we could have won two more games since February and that Moyes could have lost two, I think it is your lack of imagination which is bizarre.Look, I know it is the internet, and simple objective facts don't count for much, especially when the mob mentality takes hold, but yes, it is 12 points, which could be called 'a lot', but it is also what I said, which illustrates things differently.

12 points is a massive difference. 

If sherwood had won 2 more games and moyes lost two then they would have the same records. But how is that any more likely than if Moyes had won 2 more and Sherwood had lost two more?

Surely that's got the same chance? Then the difference is 24 points. 

You'plucked a hypothetical from nowhere and used it as a defence of Sherwood. Yes if he and Moyes had the same record they'd have the same record. But that's where your point ends. 

They don't. Moyes has 12 more points. That's 4 more wins. That is a huge gap. 12 more points last season and I think we'd have finished in the top half. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

Don't care he is twice the manager Timmy is and has shown that he's got what it takes to turn a relagation struggling team into a stable mid table side. If you're still in the Sherwood in camp I suggest that you wake up and the smell coffee. Likewise if you think that we're too good for the likes of Allardyce and Moyes

I rate Moyes as a manager, just pointing out his record isn't much better than Sherwood's this season.

Don't care he is twice the manager Timmy is and has shown that he's got what it takes to turn a relagation struggling team into a stable mid table side. If you're still in the Sherwood in camp I suggest that you wake up and the smell coffee. Likewise if you think that we're too good for the likes of Allardyce and Moyes

I rate Moyes as a manager, just pointing out his record isn't much better than Sherwood's this season.

fair enough but at least he does have a proven track record. We know Sherwood doesn't 

I don't know why people are even entertaining Moyes, as if there's a good chance it might happen. I can't see Lerner paying the compensation, even if it's only a year, as I imagine it's still quite a bit of money, plus Moyes would want big money on top of that to come here and then there's Sherwood's pay-off to take into consideration. I wouldn't be surprised if Moyes denies interested in coming back in the next few days anyway.

Sheffield United
Leeds
Charlton
Sheffield Wednesday

and many more

Teams who have dropped more than one division since relegation.

I love the idea of being able to compete with sides and have the prospect of winning games week in week out but there is every chance we will drop more than one division and never return.

You can pretty much watch every game we play currently aside from some cup matches (why you'd want to I don't know) if we are in the Championship and not a regular at matches in person you'd probably get to see no more than a handful of matches a year. The league TV show sometimes shows about 30 seconds of highlights even if you play a decent team and score goals (trust me i've watched it and it's awful).

The only thing that will change the direction of the club is new ownership and investment, not saying that guarantees success but it could at least guarantee safety and possibly occasional actual wins (remember those?) for the most part.

This clown is staying. Get used to it.

We will go down this season as we don't have benteke. It really is as simple as that imo.

No chance.

Dead man walking it's just a question of when rather than if.

Wel be as good as down before he leaves. Pretty sure they'd have sacked him by now. He's been a dead man walking for a few weeks now.

This whole 'let him get on with it' bullocks in the media is doing my head in. We have let him get on with it and he's making a complete and utter **** arse of it.

I don't know why people are even entertaining Moyes, as if there's a good chance it might happen. I can't see Lerner paying the compensation, even if it's only a year, as I imagine it's still quite a bit of money, plus Moyes would want big money on top of that to come here and then there's Sherwood's pay-off to take into consideration. I wouldn't be surprised if Moyes denies interested in coming back in the next few days anyway.

Unless Sociedad pretty much forgo any compensation claim because they are content in replacing him anyway.

• Like 1

Doesn't Lerner have a bit of a thing for Moyes? After all, he works on a budget.....

• Like 2

I find that interesting.

What a bizarre point

12 points is a massive difference. 

If sherwood had won 2 more games and moyes lost two then they would have the same records. But how is that any more likely than if Moyes had won 2 more and Sherwood had lost two more?

Surely that's got the same chance? Then the difference is 24 points. 

You'plucked a hypothetical from nowhere and used it as a defence of Sherwood. Yes if he and Moyes had the same record they'd have the same record. But that's where your point ends. 

They don't. Moyes has 12 more points. That's 4 more wins. That is a huge gap. 12 more points last season and I think we'd have finished in the top half. 

Spot on.

look at Leeds. That will happen to us 

No, that *could* happen to us. 

It would equally be possible to say 'look at West Ham. That will happen to us'. 

All you've done is chosen the most negative possible consequence you can think of and then assumed it's guaranteed. There are significant differences between our situation and Leeds'. 

leeds, after CL semi, couldnt financially keep it goin, sold their best player without adequate replacements, appointed manager after manager who either couldnt keep them up or get them back up.

we didnt make CL, didnt replace our best players who we sold with adequate replacements

so farwe have had manager after manager who for one reason or another, kept us up.

Had we have kept Lambert we would be down already, the only thing Lerner has got right in the last 5/6years is financing 17th or slightly above.

One day, luck will turn against us then Lerner can lead us to a WH or a Leeds.

my money is on doing a "Leeds"

cos he wont find a buyer in the championship or lower

Edited by Grasshopper

Â