The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

The difference is already clear with Sherwood.

I hope you're right. Seeing as we've actually won a game this month I'm a bit of a fan already, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sherwood turns out to be more style than substance. Still, though, style is probably what we needed with a half-decent squad and 13 games to avoid relegation.

• Like 1

Did anyone hear him on Talk Sport?   They trailled him being on from 6.30 onwards, then said he would be on between 8 and 9.  Then as I was driving to work, they said he'd be on in a few mins - I waited in car till 9.00 but then had to go in to work!!  How irritating they are on that station at times!   :angry:

• Like 1

Did anyone hear him on Talk Sport?   They trailled him being on from 6.30 onwards, then said he would be on between 8 and 9.  Then as I was driving to work, they said he'd be on in a few mins - I waited in car till 9.00 but then had to go in to work!!  How irritating they are on that station at times!   :angry:

They played you like a liiiitle fiddle.

• Like 2

Did anyone hear him on Talk Sport? They trailled him being on from 6.30 onwards, then said he would be on between 8 and 9. Then as I was driving to work, they said he'd be on in a few mins - I waited in car till 9.00 but then had to go in to work!! How irritating they are on that station at times! :angry:

I even drove to work extra slow to listen to it but still missed it!

Indeed. 19 points from our final 24 games that season. Lambert remaining in employment being bad for this club was clear to anybody who hadn't invested all their credibility in him being a success.

Lambert's track record was amazing

He did well at Norwich yes

Did anyone hear him on Talk Sport? They trailled him being on from 6.30 onwards, then said he would be on between 8 and 9. Then as I was driving to work, they said he'd be on in a few mins - I waited in car till 9.00 but then had to go in to work!! How irritating they are on that station at times! :angry:

I even drove to work extra slow to listen to it but still missed it!

They have a listen again feature on the site if you really want to hear what he said.

I hope you're right. Seeing as we've actually won a game this month I'm a bit of a fan already, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sherwood turns out to be more style than substance. Still, though, style is probably what we needed with a half-decent squad and 13 games to avoid relegation.

No, I meant the difference in how he is scrutinised by fans compared with Lambert. With Sherwood, I believed he would generate the short-term boost to keep us up this season but I have no idea how he'll do beyond that.

Edited by Isa

No, I meant the difference in how he is scrutinised by fans compared with Lambert is different. With Sherwood, I believed he would generate the short-term boost to keep us up this season but I have no idea how he'll do beyond that.

That was the gamble wasn't it? Whether he coudl produce that short term boost, by no means certain yet that he can. Looking good though, beat the baggies again and beat Sunderland and you'd have to say we'd be flying at that point. The test will be the first league defeat now, and the manner in which we play in defeat and the reaction as a group. If all the wheels come off again and the bubble bursts I think it's safe to say there's something rotten with the group now, before pointing fingers at Sherwood. At that point though you'd have to question the gamble if the short term boost doesn't fully materialise and we go down.

Still though I think it's win-win for Sherwood in a way, if it goes tits up he has some more experience will have demonstrated that he has balls and at least partly managed to turn it around here but the odds were stacked against him. So probably enough to get him in the frame for another decent job if we go down, or he is a hero who against all the odds managed to save us.

Longer term that that, yeah you're right who can say? No-one as yet knows what he is like in terms of identifying weakness in the squad and getting value for money in the transfer market strengthening the squad as he's never done it before....

Can't knock him too much so far.

Largely good performances, with differing styles which is a rarity! Tactical switches which work and look like they change our play. Lovely stuff. He wants it as well, he really wants it.

But I'm sorry, his subs have not been good enough. You can call hindsight, but a lot of them at the time, people are saying it they look weak. Cleverley for Bacuna is always dangerous as Bacuna doesn't know what he's doing in the middle, he has to be more advanced.

IMO if Gil had started over Zog, we'd have been two or three up at HT - strange he doesn't seem to fancy him so far.

Grealish had a hand in the goal and was OK, but didn't get into the game as much as I'd have liked. He was showing for it to be fair, but maybe he doesn't have the presence to really demand it at the moment.

It was awesome!

• Like 1

Longer term that that, yeah you're right who can say? No-one as yet knows what he is like in terms of identifying weakness in the squad and getting value for money in the transfer market strengthening the squad as he's never done it before....

Yes, very much an unknown quantity. In some ways I prefer that to a more proven albeit limited and predictable manager á la Pulis and Allardyce. It's exciting in terms of the intrigue - how he'll approach the market, what sort of team he'll build, what system he'll work towards etc.

The most important managerial trait if he is to achieve anything significant long-term will be tactical acumen and flexibility. No matter how good they are in the market or how good they are as motivators/man-managers and coaches, tactically one-dimensional managers always get found out.

Although I will criticise when I feel it is appropriate, I won't be too judgemental regarding his decisions this season. One of the main things he stressed in both his first press-conference and interview was that the philosophy (i.e. playing style) in the short-term would be totally different from that in the long-term. So I'll hold him to that.

Saying that, I did take a great deal of encouragement from the Albion game. Especially the shape, it was primarily a diamond but flucuated at times - fluid, in other words. There was genuine interchange and off-the-ball movement. Sort of epitomised by Grealish effectively being given a free role when coming on. It was a sign that Sherwood may be capable of some element of tactical sophistication.

• Like 1

The bloke's confidence speaks for itself

He says that if we survive this season we will never be in this position again

Exciting times is he privvy to info about is being bought in the summer maybe?

I can't wait to see some of the exciting youngsters he can sign in the summer.

Exciting times is he privvy to info about is being bought in the summer maybe?

I can't wait to see some of the exciting youngsters he can sign in the summer.

We can but hope.

Yes, very much an unknown quantity. In some ways I prefer that to a more proven albeit limited and predictable manager á la Pulis and Allardyce. It's exciting in terms of the intrigue - how he'll approach the market, what sort of team he'll build, what system he'll work towards etc.

The most important managerial trait if he is to achieve anything significant long-term will be tactical acumen and flexibility. No matter how good they are in the market or how good they are as motivators/man-managers and coaches, tactically one-dimensional managers always get found out.

Although I will criticise when I feel it is appropriate, I won't be too judgemental regarding his decisions this season. One of the main things he stressed in both his first press-conference and interview was that the philosophy (i.e. playing style) in the short-term would be totally different from that in the long-term. So I'll hold him to that.

Saying that, I did take a great deal of encouragement from the Albion game. Especially the shape, it was primarily a diamond but flucuated at times - fluid, in other words. There was genuine interchange and off-the-ball movement. Sort of epitomised by Grealish effectively being given a free role when coming on. It was a sign that Sherwood may be capable of some element of tactical sophistication.

This is pretty much where I'm at. One thing people have used against Sherwood is that he's a standard 442 bloke that's crap at tactics and is only a rabble rouser. Well the Albion game debunked that as as you say it was a diamond with certain players quite fluid. It's only 3 games but there's been a significant improvement on tempo and desire if that can be allied to changing tactics to suit the opposition I'm sure we will all be happy. It also makes a change to actually looking forward to hear what he has to say in interviews.

Someone else said that exact same thing last season...

Â