The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Ever stopped to think that he's so emotional because it means he's got a cup quarter final, and possibly more, to look forward to as a result of this match?

I'm sure there's quite a bit of that, too; an F.A. Cup quarter final is an exciting prospect, especially for a new manager, but I still think it's partly a demonstration of passion, because of the spotlight his first appearance at a game as Villa manager will have attracted.

I'm not sure he's that good an actor though, I mean if that's all bullshit and he's playing the part because he doesn't actually care yet, then he deserves an oscar. Seriously they pay top dollar for far worse acting than that.

I liked the bit on the video where Reilly taps Fox on the shoulder and they give each other a high five after the first goal. Gives the reassuring impression that they are all really exuberant about this new chapter.

The passion's good to see, although it's acted passion at the moment; there's no way he can be genuinely emotionally invested in the club, at this early stage (I love that Dick Dastardly "Drat and double drat!" air punch at 0:10!). He knows the cameras are on him, knows that one of the things a lot of Villa fans found objectionable about Paul Lambert was his inability to show much emotion over the course of a whole match, he's out to show he's not the same, and you can't blame him for that. Genuine emotion will follow for sure, because Sherwood has an open, expressive character.
Ever stopped to think that he's so emotional because it means he's got a cup quarter final, and possibly more, to look forward to as a result of this match?

Exactly.

He's got a chance to manage a team at Wembley and its made his first game in charge a bit easier than a loss would have.

I think he is genuinely happy because he was very brave, responsible to go into the changing room at half time and ask for a change of mentality and couple of things and the players responded straight away.

That must be pleasing for him,

I think he is a winner..therefore genuine emotion

• Like 1

I wouldn't read too much into the celebrations. He was probably happy that the team had won as not only have they progressed but also it will have helped the cause in terms of boosting confidence. he will also no doubt have been delighted that they responded to his pep talk. It wasn't a celebration of a fan, it was the celebration of a pro.

This appointment is growing on me. I think the comparisons to Gregory are valid. We certainly need a strong character and one who has belief and confidence in his own ability.

• Like 2

If Sherwood keeps this up, he'll be in contention for the England job.

What England job?

I don't understand.

The England national tootball team job, Roy Hodgson holds the position at the moment.

• Like 1

I'm not sure he's that good an actor though, I mean if that's all bullshit and he's playing the part because he doesn't actually care yet, then he deserves an oscar. Seriously they pay top dollar for far worse acting than that.

Maybe 'acted' is the wrong word (I was trying to avoid saying 'faking it,' because that would've been even more contentious!), but how can anyone be appointed the manager of a big club, make their first showing at a match (a cup match with a lot riding on it, at that), and not think: the cameras and the fans' eyes will be on me; I've got to show them somehow that I'm engaged and already somewhat involved, and that I care, or have the capacity to care.  That would be completely natural.  Probably only those managers at the very, very top of the tree - Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelotti - would be a case apart, and might opt to display sang-froid as a 'statement' from the outset.

• Like 1

Getting ahead of ourselves a bit. 

Do I remember you being someone who was complaining about Sherwood? Not that you cant change your opinion.

Sorry If im mistaken.

What England job?

I don't understand.

The England national tootball team job, Roy Hodgson holds the position at the moment.

I got that.

What on Earth does Sherwood keeping us up have to do with the England job?

You confuse me useless.

I liked the bit on the video where Reilly taps Fox on the shoulder and they give each other a high five after the first goal. Gives the reassuring impression that they are all really exuberant about this new chapter.

The passion's good to see, although it's acted passion at the moment; there's no way he can be genuinely emotionally invested in the club, at this early stage (I love that Dick Dastardly "Drat and double drat!" air punch at 0:10!). He knows the cameras are on him, knows that one of the things a lot of Villa fans found objectionable about Paul Lambert was his inability to show much emotion over the course of a whole match, he's out to show he's not the same, and you can't blame him for that. Genuine emotion will follow for sure, because Sherwood has an open, expressive character.
Exactly.

He's got a chance to manage a team at Wembley and its made his first game in charge a bit easier than a loss would have.

This exactly. He can go in tomorrow and there will be a buzz about a cup quarter final......instead of trying to lift the players after another loss. I also assume he headed straight to the changing room at the final whistle, looked like he couldnt get there quick enough.

Getting ahead of ourselves a bit. 

Do I remember you being someone who was complaining about Sherwood? Not that you cant change your opinion.

Sorry If im mistaken.

I only said that his time at Tottenham was false narrative and when taking him into consideration for the job at the VIlla and so I didn't really think he was good or bad just that not knowing either way was too much of a risk.  But trying to be positive now he's here.

And I had a feeling he'd turn out like the likes of Paul Ince, Bryan Robson and so on.

I think the guy is genuinely chuffed to be here. No matter what some of our fans think outside of us fans, to other proffessionals (just watch the pre match coverage on bbc one). They big us up and say we are a historic club steeped in tradition and should not be where we are that we are a big club a very big club with a big catchment area. It's an honour to manage our club at rue great British institution.

• Like 1

What England job?

I don't understand.

I got that.

What on Earth does Sherwood keeping us up have to do with the England job?

You confuse me useless.

He hasn't kept us up yet.

I don't think it'll take much for the media to link him with the job plus he has a reputation for doing good work with young English talent. I said I had a feeling he wouldn't be with us for long and I'd rather it be for a reason like this than one of failure.

Edited by useless

Maybe 'acted' is the wrong word (I was trying to avoid saying 'faking it,' because that would've been even more contentious!), but how can anyone be appointed the manager of a big club, make their first showing at a match (a cup match with a lot riding on it, at that), and not think: the cameras and the fans' eyes will be on me; I've got to show them somehow that I'm engaged and already somewhat involved, and that I care, or have the capacity to care.  That would be completely natural.  Probably only those managers at the very, very top of the tree - Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelotti - would be a case apart, and might opt to display sang-froid as a 'statement' from the outset.

Yeah I'm sure he was aware of being under the spotlight, but I just don't think he is that much of an actor, really. It looks natural to me, as natural as you would be if ou knew the BBC had a very expensive lens pointed at you.

i think he's a bloke who loves the game.i think he's excited about doing a job that he loves.the games full of them.hell i hate fergie but his passion for the game is immense.look at gregory you just know after his heart op he'll wanna get back involved in the game,the bloke can'y live without it and i think sherwood is the same.probably the reason he went into the dressing room at half time.

Edited by krisagg75
  • Like 1

Â