The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I'm excited to have a new manager here and it looks like he's relishing the job but you really can't give him all the credit for the 2nd half improvement. That's hyperbole of the commentator's levels.

Scott Marshall says they all had a few points to make, Given said they were told to just play with a bit more freedom and express themselves. All well and good but hardly a magic sequence of words which unlocked the team's potential instantly.

It was a combination of everyone playing with a bit more freedom and determination, and probably wanting to impress the new manager. That said I don't think the difference between the 1st and 2nd half was that big, we just went forward more, which left more space behind. Little bit riskier maybe.

Remains to be seen what difference Sherwood actually makes to games he's actually involved in. I'm quite excited to find out.

The reason why I think the difference was huge between the two halves, is the exact reason why you think there wasn't a big difference. Under Lambert, unfortunately we'd have stuck out the entire game in the same way we played the first half, we've been playing that way for the majority of the season. I'd say that our players getting forward more, playing with more risk, is exactly what we've been craving for and it is the reason why we haven't scored goals.

At a glance you wouldn't think the difference is big but in the grand scheme of things, the way we were getting forward in that second half is something we haven't done since September and that is why it stands out to much to me.

• Like 2

I'm excited to have a new manager here and it looks like he's relishing the job but you really can't give him all the credit for the 2nd half improvement. That's hyperbole of the commentator's levels.

Scott Marshall says they all had a few points to make, Given said they were told to just play with a bit more freedom and express themselves. All well and good but hardly a magic sequence of words which unlocked the team's potential instantly.

It was a combination of everyone playing with a bit more freedom and determination, and probably wanting to impress the new manager. That said I don't think the difference between the 1st and 2nd half was that big, we just went forward more, which left more space behind. Little bit riskier maybe.

Remains to be seen what difference Sherwood actually makes to games he's actually involved in. I'm quite excited to find out.

Fair assessment. Regardless - second half they played in a way they have not since the last time we best Leicester. With verve and pomp. The spring was back.

As predicted, it was "fun". I had fun. Yay!

• Like 3

The reason why I think the difference was huge between the two halves, is the exact reason why you think there wasn't a big difference. Under Lambert, unfortunately we'd have stuck out the entire game in the same way we played the first half, we've been playing that way for the majority of the season. I'd say that our players getting forward more, playing with more risk, is exactly what we've been craving for and it is the reason why we haven't scored goals.

At a glance you wouldn't think the difference is big but in the grand scheme of things, the way we were getting forward in that second half is something we haven't done since September and that is why it stands out to much to me.

Absolutely agreed. But I don't think Sherwood 'making a few points' really engineered this any more than the rest of the coaching staff, who also made their own points at half time. I'm all for giving TS credit for us improving when it's actually something to do with him.
  • Like 1

Absolutely agreed. But I don't think Sherwood 'making a few points' really engineered this any more than the rest of the coaching staff, who also made their own points at half time. I'm all for giving TS credit for us improving when it's actually something to do with him.

No, I'm definitely not putting it all down to Sherwood, but it is evident that the players did react to whatever it was he said. I just think confidence and morale in general is at rock bottom.

Sky sports had a quick interview with him after the game and he said he was very impressed. A lot of fight and desire. Winning was the most pleasing aspect for him and that we'd come put fighting; dont worry.

First press conference tomorrow

Is there a link to this? Or did you just watch it on SSN?

I'd like to see it too

On SSN. Presser tomorrow at 10.30

People are so anxious for Sherwood to do well that they're praising him for stuff  that he hasn't had a significant hand in. If we build him up too much based on today, then he's being set up for a fall. This is the house that Lambert built, I'm sure Sherwood will a good job of looking after it.

No one has ever disputed that Lambert didn't leave a stronger squad than what he inherited. He gets credit for that. However, he was woefully out of his depth at knowing what to do with the players he had at his disposal.

Sherwood doesn't need to be Shankly or Ferguson to get a lot more out of the players than Lambert could.

• Like 2

Having heard the marshall post match interview nearly went out and bought double glasing,who in the previous set up could motivate people and send them out to battle. Sherwood just walking into that dressing room must have been a shock and the what can we do slid out the window. Good start, long way but at least we saw a sign and hope it continues.

People are so anxious for Sherwood to do well that they're praising him for stuff  that he hasn't had a significant hand in. If we build him up too much based on today, then he's being set up for a fall. This is the house that Lambert built, I'm sure Sherwood will a good job of looking after it.

No one has ever disputed that Lambert didn't leave a stronger squad than what he inherited. He gets credit for that. However, he was woefully out of his depth at knowing what to do with the players he had at his disposal.

Sherwood doesn't need to be Shankly or Ferguson to get a lot more out of the players than Lambert could.

I didn't actually embolden that part lol.

He knew what to do with the players, but sadly they were out of their depth trying to follow his new methods, but given time they could've learned. Lambert's mistake was implementing them half way through a season. I feel remorseful I'll never get to see his plan come into fruition.

But it's time to forget about Lambert now and let Sherwood do his thing.

You say that, but you weren't in the dressing room. How do you know who said what? This conversation is weird.

From: http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4490206,00.html- Scott Marshall

"Tim came in and made a couple of points for the lads - a couple of bits and pieces for everyone really.

"I thought the lads delivered that in the second half and were very good.

"He was there and gave some good information to the group. There's a football knowledge there that comes with experience, a lifetime in the game.

"I put across my points for the game and what I thought and what I saw. Then Tim had some input after that.

"It was a few details around the game. It was 'maybe you could try this and maybe you could try that.'

"There was a lot of individual detail there. It was not one sweeping statement.

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31480322- Shay Given

"He just came into the dressing room at half-time and spoke positively to us."

"Everyone's trying to impress the new manager and I'm no different," added Given.

"With the new manager coming on board everyone's got a point to prove.

I'm just trying to say that while a loss wouldn't have been his fault because he's only been here 5 mins and hasn't had a lot of input before and during the game, the win isn't solely down to his footballing genius either. We'll hopefully see that as we climb away from relegation.

People are so anxious for Sherwood to do well that they're praising him for stuff that he hasn't had a significant hand in. If we build him up too much based on today, then he's being set up for a fall. This is the house that Lambert built, I'm sure Sherwood will a good job of looking after it.

He knew what to do with the players, but sadly they were out of their depth trying to follow his new methods, but given time they could've learned. Lambert's mistake was implementing them half way through a season. I feel remorseful I'll never get to see his plan come into fruition.

He emboldened that part to refer directly to it... Classic useless... Love you man.

• Like 3

Seen nothing yet but new manager bounce. But its good to see we can harness that.

I liked Sherwood's passion. He seemed genuinely delighted that we scored and won.

His half time talk seemed to work as well.

Looking forward to seeing how we line up in his first proper game

At what point will you accept a good performance to not be 'new manager bounce'? A few weeks, months?

I've seen more than new manager bounce tbh. He clearly changed the direction of our play: play to Benteke's strengths, more long balls, more players busting into the box to support him or play off him. That's not new manager bounce, that's basic tactics which Lambert unfortunately lacked at times.

• Like 2

I did!  :D

Lambert had time... too much in my opinion. Should have been jettisoned earlier. 

As you say, he's gone, lets move on and enjoy the next chapter in Aston Villa 

• Like 1

You say that, but you weren't in the dressing room. How do you know who said what? This conversation is weird.

From: http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4490206,00.html- Scott Marshall

"Tim came in and made a couple of points for the lads - a couple of bits and pieces for everyone really.

"I thought the lads delivered that in the second half and were very good.

"He was there and gave some good information to the group. There's a football knowledge there that comes with experience, a lifetime in the game.

"I put across my points for the game and what I thought and what I saw. Then Tim had some input after that.

"It was a few details around the game. It was 'maybe you could try this and maybe you could try that.'

"There was a lot of individual detail there. It was not one sweeping statement.

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31480322- Shay Given

"He just came into the dressing room at half-time and spoke positively to us."

"Everyone's trying to impress the new manager and I'm no different," added Given.

"With the new manager coming on board everyone's got a point to prove.

I'm just trying to say that while a loss wouldn't have been his fault because he's only been here 5 mins and hasn't had a lot of input before and during the game, the win isn't solely down to his footballing genius either. We'll hopefully see that as we climb away from relegation.

It sticks out to me that he made these points, and the players actually acted on those points and got us through to the quarter final. Again, I'm not saying it is all down to Sherwood, I just find it shocking that our confidence/morale is so low that a half-time team talk from a man they have never met actually spurred on a victory - it got the midfielders going forward, it made the team look like they wanted to win the game. We haven't seen that properly since September.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

;)

• Like 2

Â