Carles Gil

bose

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He might be better technically than the rest of our midfield but he cant tackle and hes very lightweight so overall he's worse.

Seemed to put himself about fairly well to me.

But yeah, he's definitely worse overall than Gary Gardner and Ashley Westwood because he can't tackle whereas they can.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He might be better technically than the rest of our midfield but he cant tackle and hes very lightweight so overall he's worse.

Neither can Grealish but he's still considered one of our best players.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

There are a few more which have other games that contain pretty similar stuff. Here's a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy9dbn3gh70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-rrn5Ytg4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puWB0dOIiyA

Him and Grealish were starting to become quite a partnership. Then the money totally dried up, Lambert lost it, and the rest is history.

Were they ****. That's revisionist mate. I don't even remember them ever playing together. 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Were they ****. That's revisionist mate. I don't even remember them ever playing together. 

Leciester when they both scored. Tactics Tim took them off and we lost. Start of Leicester title run and our demise.

Edited by KSV

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's not at all revisionist. There's a few matches in those videos linked!

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That's how literally all players get their transfers, else what's even the point of agents? You think players just stick around in situations they don't like and just cross their fingers and hope a club in shining armor swoops in to rescue them? 

All players get their agents to publicly state they have no intention of playing in the upcoming season? 

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

OK. I'll watch them when I get time. 

The fact that the YouTube clips linked seem to indicate he had a blossoming partnership with Grealish only further highlight the utter pointlessness of YouTube clips when judging a players overall ability. 

They did seem to be on the same wave length put it that way

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I bet the agent was asked an explicit question too. It's not like he held a press conference or something. At least we know where he stands.

Like I said. Imagine Gabby's or Bacuna's agent had said the same. No chance it would get the same reaction. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

OK. I'll watch them when I get time. 

The fact that the YouTube clips linked seem to indicate he had a blossoming partnership with Grealish only further highlight the utter pointlessness of YouTube clips when judging a players overall ability. 

Nope, the videos don't. The videos only show that Gil was comfortable in possession, skipped past players with ease, scored a few incredible goals, made a few dangerous passes, and when partnered with Grealish in a cup game against a lower league team, made them look like school kids. How that fits into the wider context of how he did here is entirely for your own interpretation.

The blossoming partnership is purely my assertion and that of a few others here at the time. He seemed to go shit at exactly the same time as everyone else, when everyone realised that the club wasn't even bothering trying any more.

It's not a problem to have a different opinion. You could probably rein the attitude in a bit though. As a poster whose views I respect, you seem a bit aggressive on this thread.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The thing is, I think you actually have at least an argument here, but it's weakened by:

a] the belligerence of your tone, which is out of all proportion to the nature of the offence, and

b] the fact that you haven't made the same angry post 10,000 times in the Traore thread. At least Gil had the decency to dump us before pre-season.  

There doesn't seem to be many pining for Adama to come back. Why would I have to repeat that in his thread. 

Be a bit pointless. 

31 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

All players get their agents to publicly state they have no intention of playing in the upcoming season? 

Yes, he told his agent to hold a press conference announcing his client's intentions on live television and it wasn't just him answering a question posed to him by some bloggers.

For all we know he might not have been happy with how he put his business out there. At the end of the day the buck stops with him, but to say this was a deliberate and I quote, scumbag move on his part is a hilarious overreaction. But I'm not gonna tell you what you can or can't be offended by, so I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Nope, the videos don't. The videos only show that Gil was comfortable in possession, skipped past players with ease, scored a few incredible goals, made a few dangerous passes, and when partnered with Grealish in a cup game against a lower league team, made them look like school kids. How that fits into the wider context of how he did here is entirely for your own interpretation.

The blossoming partnership is purely my assertion and that of a few others here at the time. He seemed to go shit at exactly the same time as everyone else, when everyone realised that the club wasn't even bothering trying any more.

It's not a problem to have a different opinion. You could probably rein the attitude in a bit though. As a poster whose views I respect, you seem a bit aggressive on this thread.

It wasn't a personal slight on you and that is a long way from aggression. You could probably do with being a little less delicate?

Back on to Gil, you make him sound too much like some forgotten superstar. He had his moments yes, but the trouble is they can all be condensed into a few minutes of YouTube footage. There was literally nothing else to his game. What they fail to show is the countless times, time after time after time that he was brushed off the ball, played the simple sideways pass, failed to make the run or track his man. If somebody asked me to name the perfect highlight reel player who was absolutely hopeless the rest of the 90 I would name Carles Gil.

It's like he's the trailer for a movie that has you buzzing, only after 2 and a half hours of all hype and no substance it leaves you wanting to gouge your eyes out.

Personally, I'm not interested in seeing the sequel. If I'm forced to, hopefully a new director can breath life into it, but I wouldn't bank on it if I were you.  

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Just now, Keyblade said:

Yes, he told his agent to hold a press conference announcing his client's intentions on live television and it wasn't just him answering a question posed to him by some bloggers.

For all we know he might not have been happy with how he put his business out there. At the end of the day the buck stops with him, but to say this was a deliberate and I quote, scumbag move on his part is a hilarious overreaction. But I'm not gonna tell you what you can or can't be offended by, so I'll leave it at that.

You keep exaggerating with this press conference idea. In this day and age it's very simple to get quotes out there.  I'm sure his agent isn't daft, I'm sure he's aware of how it all works and I find it hard to believe he did it without his players blessing, clearly deliberate. Of course the always mistrested Gill was probably not even aware of it and it was just an innocent accident. That's a hilarious overreaction . 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Back on to Gil, you make him sound too much like some forgotten superstar. He had his moments yes, but the trouble is they can all be condensed into a few minutes of YouTube footage. There was literally nothing else to his game. What they fail to show is the countless times, time after time after time that he was brushed off the ball, played the simple sideways pass, failed to make the run or track his man. If somebody asked me to name the perfect highlight reel player who was absolutely hopeless the rest of the 90 I would name Carles Gil.

It's like he's the trailer for a movie that has you buzzing, only after 2 and a half hours of all hype and no substance it leaves you wanting to gouge your eyes out.

He's exactly like a trailer for a movie - in that he has barely played any part in our team but the parts that he has played in have shown that he has a certain amount of quality that other players in our team lack.  Keep in mind here that pretty much every single one of our players over the past few seasons have had a few good moments but mainly been hopeless over the rest of the 90 - Jack Grealish being one of them.

In fact, Gil is much like Grealish on the football pitch but without the media-drama, petulance and, apparently. fan support.

I would find it pretty staggering that he gets so much vitriol and called a "scumbag" for doing nothing wrong at all whilst settling into a new country and team, but then this is VT and over-exaggeration is what we do best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

You keep exaggerating with this press conference idea. In this day and age it's very simple to get quotes out there.  I'm sure his agent isn't daft, I'm sure he's aware of how it all works and I find it hard to believe he did it without his players blessing, clearly deliberate. Of course the always mistrested Gill was probably not even aware of it and it was just an innocent accident. That's a hilarious overreaction . 

Er, no - that's not jumping to a conclusion to suit a vendetta.

Â