All New Funny Pics Thread - Clean Edition

Xann

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry to bore people waiting for the next funny pic, but this has really got me intrigued. Am I right to assume that the woman asking for the bath is a generic model, and not herself someone famous? Because if she'd been someone I recognised - let's say Nigella Lawson for the sake of argument - I think my brain would have gone "Ah, this is a joke about people", and looked closely at the bloke, probably identifying him as Tyson. As it was, I totally disregarded the faces, and assumed it was a joke purely about words - bath... fish... Pike? Carp? Don't get it... (but even clocking Tyson wouldn't have helped me much, as I didn't know he lisped, so wouldn't have stumbled on bath/bass). 

Yeah, she’s a generic model.

If it had been Nigella Lawson, I’d still get the joke but I’d think it was weird that Nigella is the one asking the question as there’s no obvious link between the two. But I get what you mean, someone recognisable, maybe connected to Tyson...Don King or Frank Bruno maybe? 

I suppose it might work better if Chris Eubank was the one asking the question with his lisp and Tyson mishears it. Or vice versa.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah, she’s a generic model.

If it had been Nigella Lawson, I’d still get the joke but I’d think it was weird that Nigella is the one asking the question as there’s no obvious link between the two. But I get what you mean, someone recognisable, maybe connected to Tyson...Don King or Frank Bruno maybe? 

I suppose it might work better if Chris Eubank was the one asking the question with his lisp and Tyson mishears it. Or vice versa.

Exactly! 

Sorry, the Mahler joke isn't particularly funny. I was just making the point about having to understand the context, in light of the Tyson thing. 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, I dunno, he was a while ago, that's the thing. Wouldn't recognise Johansson, no. The ones I named all seem to have crossed over into more general popular culture. Any boxer known purely for being a boxer, no. Loads of names spring to mind (Fury, Klitchko, various Sugar Rays, Errol Graham, Floyd Patterson, Jack Dempsey... scores of others), and I know I've seen pictures of them, but I stll couldn't pick them out of an identity parade. 

Well, you're still far better than me on this. :) Even though I recognise Mike Tyson. 😛 Johansson is just that he's the only swedish world champion, so most of us are pretty proud of him... And there's a statue of him outside Ullevi, the big arena in Gothenburg. But I don't know why I added that. He beat Floyd when he won the title, though. I think.

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I disagree. That would be worse.

but then again I posted the original picture because I thought it was funny, so what the **** do I know?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

but then again I posted the original picture because I thought it was funny, so what the **** do I know?!

Don't worry mate, you've got enough good posts in your history to get over this terrible miscalculation. 

Edited by Xela
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Interesting. So, if you had to name the hundred most famous living people, you'd include Tyson? He probably wouldn't have occurred to me. Which actually says more about me than about Tyson, as you are almost certainly correct - he IS mega-famous. But boxing barely impinges on my consciousness, so I wouldn't have remembered he existed - unless someone reminded me. 

I think Tyson transcends boxing... possibly the last boxer to do so? He was mega famous in the 80's.

Similarly, I don't think you get musicians as famous as you used to. Michael Jackson, or Prince, or Freddie Mercury for example... I simply don't think you will ever get musicians that massive again. I think its down to the society we live in now - very much disposable and replaceable. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I reckon a picture of Mike Tyson would get about 60 on Pointless.  

Yep. And I'd have got it too - if I was asked to identify the person in the picture, instead of staring a picture of a fish! 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I think Tyson transcends boxing... possibly the last boxer to do so? He was mega famous in the 80's.

Similarly, I don't think you get musicians as famous as you used to. Michael Jackson, or Prince, or Freddie Mercury for example... I simply don't think you will ever get musicians that massive again. I think its down to the society we live in now - very much disposable and replaceable. 

It’s because there are now so many ways to consume media we are no longer all watching/listening to the same thing. 

It’s no longer possible to monopolise a genre like it was when there was only 1/2 radio stations or TV channels and everyone was watching the same thing at the same time. 

In those days the biggest acts became enormously famous recognisable household names. Now even very popular musicians or TV stars can be totally bypassed by the majority of the population who are listening to something different on a different website. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s because there are now so many ways to consume media we are no longer all watching/listening to the same thing. 

It’s no longer possible to monopolise a genre like it was when there was only 1/2 radio stations or TV channels and everyone was watching the same thing at the same time. 

In those days the biggest acts became enormously famous recognisable household names. Now even very popular musicians or TV stars can be totally bypassed by the majority of the population who are listening to something different on a different website. 

Absolutely true. When I Wor A Lad™©, if you got your face on TV, everybody in the country would see it - you turned the TV on, and there were two channels. Nowadays, I can watch for hours, seeing only what I want to. And I do! 

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. And I'd have got it too - if I was asked to identify the person in the picture, instead of staring a picture of a fish! 

Pike Tyson?

• Like 4

Â