All New Funny Pics Thread - Clean Edition

Xann

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I didn't know it was Mike Tyson

I am genuinely shocked by this. He's one of the most famous half a dozen faces of the eighties and nineties - as a celebrity or a boxer, surely it's impossible to have lived through the last thirty odd years and not be able to recognise Mike Tyson?

Have you heard of Madonna?

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I am genuinely shocked by this. He's one of the most famous half a dozen faces of the eighties and nineties - as a celebrity or a boxer, surely it's impossible to have lived through the last thirty odd years and not be able to recognise Mike Tyson?

Have you heard of Madonna?

Of course. But she's one of those faces I can easily confuse with someone else. Gwen Stefani? Basically, if somebody's body of work (acting, music, etc.) doesn't interest me, they may as well not exist. How many Madonna songs could I name? Er... Like A Virgin. Did she do 'Holiday'? That's about it. You laugh, but why should I care? 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is why I asked Mike about recognising boxers.

I’m not a boxing fan, but if you asked me to name three boxers, Tyson and Ali would be the first two I would think of. A whole host of boxers would be in the running for the third spot, but Tyson is pretty much my go to reference when I think of a boxer. Partly down to him being particularly high profile when I was growing up and I suspect The Simpsons character of “Drederick Tatum” has played a certain part in that I suspect. 

I’m sure there are some ridiculously famous people I’ve never heard of. I just find this sort of stuff interesting, people’s...blind spots, if that’s the right term.

Boxers and lisps.......there's been quite a few. Eubank, Nigel Benn, Leon Spinks, Tyson and probably a few others I can't quite recall.

I wonder if it's due to an occupational hazard of being smacked in the gob a lot  ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You laugh, but why should I care? 

You shouldn't, but I'm still amazed. I'd put Tyson up there with Stallone as a recognisable face. I mean, I understand that people aren't interested in golf but I'd expect them to recognise Tiger Woods, I understand people aren't interested in politics, but I'd expect them  to recognise Bill Clinton. I'm even more amazed as my understanding is that you know everything Moonman!

However, my apologies, I didn't wish to appear rude.

• Like 2

Let me qualify. If you showed me a picture of Tyson in context - wearing shorts and boxing gloves - I'd have probably said "Yeah, Mike Tyson. Bit somebody's ear off, didn't he?" Can't say I remember the face tattoos. Had no idea he lisped (I know Eubanks does). In that joke pic, I just saw some bloke with tattoos, guessed maybe he was Polynesian. It never even crossed my mind he was anybody in particular, I was just trying to suss out 'bath' versus 'fish' (I thought it was a pike, anyway - dunno what a bass looks like, never been fishing). I'm more of a words person than a visual person - I'm terrible with faces. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

You shouldn't, but I'm still amazed. I'd put Tyson up there with Stallone as a recognisable face. I mean, I understand that people aren't interested in golf but I'd expect them to recognise Tiger Woods, I understand people aren't interested in politics, but I'd expect them  to recognise Bill Clinton. I'm even more amazed as my understanding is that you know everything Moonman!

However, my apologies, I didn't wish to appear rude.

You didn't. Incidentally - to reinforce my comments about context above - I probably would identify Tiger Woods if he was pictured in a cap, holding a golf club. If he was just wearing a suit, I probably wouldn't. 

Edited by mjmooney

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You didn't. Incidentally - to reinforce my comments about context above - I probably would identify Tiger Woods if he was pictured in a cap, holding a golf club. If he was just wearing a suit, I probably wouldn't. 

I'll get stick for this, likely from Risso, because I'm about to mention one of the times I met Pele.

We asked him what it was like to be recognised all the time.  He said it was because of his hairstyle.  He said he's had the same hairstyle since he was 17 and people see him in the street and it's all "Look!  Pele!"

If he goes out with a cap on people look at him and say "Ha!  That guy looks a bit like Pele!"

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yeah same. I think I'd rate Mike Tyson as one of the most famous people on the planet.

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah same. I think I'd rate Mike Tyson as one of the most famous people on the planet.

Interesting. So, if you had to name the hundred most famous living people, you'd include Tyson? He probably wouldn't have occurred to me. Which actually says more about me than about Tyson, as you are almost certainly correct - he IS mega-famous. But boxing barely impinges on my consciousness, so I wouldn't have remembered he existed - unless someone reminded me. 

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Interesting. So, if you had to name the hundred most famous living people, you'd include Tyson? He probably wouldn't have occurred to me. Which actually says more about me than about Tyson, as you are almost certainly correct - he IS mega-famous. But boxing barely impinges on my consciousness, so I wouldn't have remembered he existed - unless someone reminded me. 

Yeah I think I would. I'd say he's probably the most famous boxer still living. And boxing is a huge, global sport so I think I'd put him comfortably in that list.

But I'm sure there are plenty of people on that list who I wouldn't recognise either. We all have blind spots. Mine would probably be a famous politician or mucisian from the 70's or 80's.

Or Thom Yorke.

• Haha 1

Sorry to bore people waiting for the next funny pic, but this has really got me intrigued. Am I right to assume that the woman asking for the bath is a generic model, and not herself someone famous? Because if she'd been someone I recognised - let's say Nigella Lawson for the sake of argument - I think my brain would have gone "Ah, this is a joke about people", and looked closely at the bloke, probably identifying him as Tyson. As it was, I totally disregarded the faces, and assumed it was a joke purely about words - bath... fish... Pike? Carp? Don't get it... (but even clocking Tyson wouldn't have helped me much, as I didn't know he lisped, so wouldn't have stumbled on bath/bass). 

Edited by mjmooney

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Muhammad Ali, Henry Cooper, Frank Bruno, John Conteh, Joe Bugner.

Post 1970s, probably none. Oh yeah, Nicola Adams. 

No Ingemar Johansson? 😢

Isn't Frank Bruno post 70?

32 minutes ago, Pelle said:

No Ingemar Johansson? 😢

Isn't Frank Bruno post 70?

Oh, I dunno, he was a while ago, that's the thing. Wouldn't recognise Johansson, no. The ones I named all seem to have crossed over into more general popular culture. Any boxer known purely for being a boxer, no. Loads of names spring to mind (Fury, Klitchko, various Sugar Rays, Errol Graham, Floyd Patterson, Jack Dempsey... scores of others), and I know I've seen pictures of them, but I stll couldn't pick them out of an identity parade. 

• Like 1

Â