What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

bought Tutu by Miles Davies yesterday on a whim, went in for Cramps, Smell of Female, but they wanted the full £14

Miles Davies was £5.99

should I stick with it? Ive played it this morning and i'm thinking I should have gone with the Cramps

It's not just Miles, 80's jazz is generally pretty dreadful.

Anything past Agharta & Pangaea are considered suspect in this household.

ah I was hoping for advice from your goodself or Mr Mooney, I suspected it was all a bit over produced funk influenced lift music. But didn't want to sound like I was starting a fight.

So go earlier?

I'm currently back on an old piece of vinyl, Brubeck live in Newport, an album I must have had for 20+ plus years. A lovely sound, just the right amount of pop and crackle.

Anybody catch Dexy's on Jools Hooland last night? Not bang on the money, but good enough for me to look for some tour dates. Mick Talbot back on the keys bless him.

So go earlier?

Aye, draw a line at 75 for Miles.

His earlier stuff (up to 61) is out of copyright as it stands, you can get loads of it for little money - Mike seems to be enjoying himself exploring this period.

Most of my Miles collection is late 60s - early 70s, quite a lot goes on in a short period of time. 'In A Silent Way' has an amazing chilled vibe. A year later but a million miles away there's 'Bitches Brew' - which throws elements of rock into the mix.

He was always an innovator though. His AMG page is a better indicator of where he was at in any year than me waffling on.

This is a fave though -

I checked out ALL the suggestions except the one suggested by Xann on the 19th May, the reason I did not check out this one is because for some reason it said that the clip was banned in this country?! Thanks all.

I was hoping for 21 century stuff along the lines of,

Let there be drums.

Topsy part 2

Stranger on the shore

Bongo bongo bongo

Etc etc etc

Never mind.

So go earlier?

Aye, draw a line at 75 for Miles.

His earlier stuff (up to 61) is out of copyright as it stands, you can get loads of it for little money - Mike seems to be enjoying himself exploring this period.

Most of my Miles collection is late 60s - early 70s, quite a lot goes on in a short period of time. 'In A Silent Way' has an amazing chilled vibe. A year later but a million miles away there's 'Bitches Brew' - which throws elements of rock into the mix.

He was always an innovator though. His AMG page is a better indicator of where he was at in any year than me waffling on.

This is a fave though -

Just caught up with this, and I agree - with reservations. The main one being that I really liked Miles' 1984 album Aura. Not an instant easy listen, but it really grew on me.

For peak Miles though, I have to go with the late 50s/early 60s era, particularly the Gil Evans productions.

Miles' 1984 album Aura.

Strange choice

I know. But several plays on long car journeys got it under my skin. I think it's the odd mix of jazz-funk and modern classical influences, and John McLaughlin's angular guitar riffs.

I usually have a strange love for covers, they're usually either interesting or truly, truly terrible. And since I love Simple Man, and don't mind a bit of a Deftones, you'd think it'd work for me.

It doesn't.

But it did make me remember that the Deftones have collaborated with another love of mine, Tool's Maynard James Keenan, on the song

from the Deftone's most acclaimed album, White Pony. I do wonder if the Deftones still think it sounds like a Tool song, because it doesn't. Good though.

But it did make me remember that the Deftones have collaborated with another love of mine, Tool's Maynard James Keenan, on the song

from the Deftone's most acclaimed album, White Pony. I do wonder if the Deftones still think it sounds like a Tool song, because it doesn't. Good though.

Great track!

Deftones also do a good cover of "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want"... well, it's good if you're into Deftones. Which I used to be!

Â