What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Rush - Seven Cities of Gold

into

Rush - The Wreckers

All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary

Of a miracle too good to be true

All I know is that sometimes the truth is contrary

Everything in life you thought you knew

All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary

'Cause sometimes the target is you

The Ray McVay Sound - 'Revenge'
I keep getting serious cognitive dissonance with all your MOR choices Dave.

I'm trying to think of what nowadays is the equivalent to what that stuff was in the 60s. Because it really was at the EXTREME end of 'uncool'.

As a result, even when I find myself enjoying it now, it's with a weird mixture of nostalgia and guilt.

Give in, enjoy, it's not fattening, it's not carcinogenic.

When 'cool' became a hindrance I got shot of it.

Ah, but that stuff IS cool now, albeit a little ironically, and to a smallish audience.

I was trying to think of an equivalent, and it just struck me. When I was posting stuff like Tom Russell recently - you know, laid-back country-folk-ish balladeers - you were appalled, and called it soporific, etc.

Well, let's say that's it. In 30 years time it will suddenly become cool and you will be forced to reassess it. And you may even find yourself liking it a wee bit - but you'll never get over that "But I used to HATE it" thing.

That's what Ray McVeigh et al are like for me.

Erotissima -

Ah, but that stuff IS cool now, albeit a little ironically, and to a smallish audience.

The Lounge revival is two decades old now. It's mainly 30 or 40 somethings that buy this stuff now, historically not a hip audience. The comps that set the scene are mostly deleted. The most famous two, Blow Up 1 & 2 disappeared this year after 16 years. There are a few tracks that have impacted on the public psyche -

Mike Dutton(/Vocalion) releases bits and bobs, but he's hardly 'cool' - not unless James Last, Mantovani, Will Glahe or Carol Gibbons and his Boyfriends are.

In 30 years time it will suddenly become cool and you will be forced to reassess it. And you may even find yourself liking it a wee bit.

Ha Ha Ha, well let's look after ourselves and maybe find out.

Erotissima -

The Lounge revival is two decades old now. It's mainly 30 or 40 somethings that buy this stuff now, historically not a hip audience.

Bear in mind that I consider 20 years ago to be 'modern' and 30-somethings ridiculously young! :lol:

My point stands - those people don't remember the 60s lounge stuff from the point of view of a teenager of the time; hence the music has no real negative connotations - it's just harmless fun. For me, it's a weird mixture of appreciation of the composition and playing, with a dash of nostalgia - and an unavoidable shudder of horror...

The Lounge revival is two decades old now. It's mainly 30 or 40 somethings that buy this stuff now, historically not a hip audience. The comps that set the scene are mostly deleted. The most famous two, Blow Up 1 & 2 disappeared this year after 16 years. There are a few tracks that have impacted on the public psyche -

Mike Dutton(/Vocalion) releases bits and bobs, but he's hardly 'cool' - not unless James Last, Mantovani, Will Glahe or Carol Gibbons and his Boyfriends are.

KPM's output is, I just discovered, distributed in the US by APM, which has an arrangement with NFL Films.

Which of course, got me to take a break from my likely-to-be-at-least-three-months of listening to the new Rush album and listen to

into

Sam Spence - Pony Soldiers

Â