What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

This just came up on the random shuffle. Googling for the youtubes video and the result, here, takes me instantly back to the first time I saw it 28 years ago, on MTV when I was working an evening shift, doing toolstores. Had never heard of them till seeing the vid, then they had a new fan.

• Like 3

I love APC, but all I could think listening to that was "Coldplay have really upped their game".. Great track by so many bands standards, but this is weak for Maynard and Co. 

A little bit of personal history here. It's 1989 and I'm tour managing and crewing a local band Benny Profane. We're all mates and it's arranged that we are going to do a tour of Poland and the USSR. Gorbachev is running the Soviet Union and its the time of Perestroika and rules are beginning to be relaxed. We're about to make a little tiny bit of rock history. We're going to be the first Western band to independently i.e. not State-sponsored tour the USSR. A couple of acts have gone before us for one-off gigs... PWEI have played a festival in Vilnius for example (It was all over the front page of NME iirc).

Anyway I could write a book about these two weeks, it'd make a great film but I won't bore you here as the stories are plentiful but here is the desk recording of the final gig in Leningrad It's pretty good considering where, when and what it was recorded on. Somewhere on that poster on the left is my name in Cyrillic Script. Great memories!  

• Like 1

Â