January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

I think most of these big wage players get paid in euros or dollars so it is now much more expensive to keep them

I'm totally sure that's true. I highly doubt they were being paid in rubles. Nevertheless, there will still be bigger clubs than us looking for talent in Russia, so the notion that we might simply pop by and pick up a Maicon or Witsel off the shelf is more than a bit far-fetched. What's more, there's no reason to assume buying any of these players would give us a particular advantage - if it's that easy, everyone else will be buying them too and we'll enjoy no competitive advantage. That said, it's fun to daydream, obviously. 

I think most of these big wage players get paid in euros or dollars so it is now much more expensive to keep them

I assume you mean it's now much more expensive for those clubs to keep them, which is spot on.

A lot would want / need to offload some of those big earners I would say.

The only way we're going to get top players at Villa Park is by signing up and coming players. E.g Benteke. Often we will never have heard of them or they will be unproven in the PL but I'd much rather have a punt. Otherwise we will spend far too much on average players like in the MON era. 

Anyone know of any good up and coming players in the Belgian or Dutch leagues?

Here is a link to the league rankings in Europe; http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/some countries ranked higher than I thought like Ukraine and Czech Republic. Could be some hidden gems in these divisions that would absolutely love to sign for us? 

The only way we're going to get top players at Villa Park is by signing up and coming players. E.g Benteke. Often we will never have heard of them or they will be unproven in the PL but I'd much rather have a punt. Otherwise we will spend far too much on average players like in the MON era.

Here is a link to the league rankings in Europe; http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/some countries ranked higher than I thought like Ukraine and Czech Republic. Could be some hidden gems in these divisions that would absolutely love to sign for us?

Ukrainians need work permits and the good ones go to tbe bigger clubs who then only sell them for loads as you have to field half an XI of Ukrainian players and the owners are rich. So yeah, we can scratch that idea. Edited by lexicon

Here is a link to the league rankings in Europe; http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/some countries ranked higher than I thought like Ukraine and Czech Republic. Could be some hidden gems in these divisions that would absolutely love to sign for us?

Ukrainians need worm permits and the good ones go to tbe bigger clubs who then only sell them for loads as you have to field half an XI of Ukrainian players and the owners are rich. So yeah, we can scratch that idea.

Who knew gardening was so bureaucratic these days?

• Like 2

Here is a link to the league rankings in Europe; http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/some countries ranked higher than I thought like Ukraine and Czech Republic. Could be some hidden gems in these divisions that would absolutely love to sign for us? 

I simply do not believe this model is sustainable in the Premier League. It is too competitive and the risks are too high. How many teams have we seen come up from the championship with big budgets that fail the relegation challenge? A lot of these teams are spending double or triple what we spend. 

Make no mistake Benteke was not a unknown or cheap player. He cost 10 million euros; no small fee for a player of his age and experience; and we have not spent that amount on a player since. 

While Benteke is a great player he has been severely handicapped having to play for a team whose creativity is mediocre at best. If we were willing to spend what is needed on a good playmaker this team would be a hell of a lot higher than it is and actually be scoring goals. We're not.

So far it has been a miracle what Lambert has been able to due. We consistently are the team that spends the least in the entire league.  

At this point I think the best thing for the team would be for us to sell Benteke for 30-40m Euros and invest the money in the offensive half of the team. Replace him with a forward that costs 15-20m. Buy a creative midfielder and a offensive midfielder or winger that's worth something. Around the 10m mark. Then we'll be talking. 

There are plenty of excellent signings to be had in those price ranges and other teams have done well with players like Pelle, Charlie Austin, Wilfried Bony, Diafra Sakho, and Loic Remy all easily within that price range. In fact a lot of higher quality strikers are. 

Creatively in that price range you see players like Sigurdson, Tadic, or Puncheon 

On the offensive mid end of things there are acquisitions like Jefferson Montero, Remy Cabella, to name a few.

Imagine the team with any 3 of those listed players. 

Ukrainians need work permits and the good ones go to tbe bigger clubs who then only sell them for loads as you have to field half an XI of Ukrainian players and the owners are rich. So yeah, we can scratch that idea.

So few travel to the Prem, in fact so few leave Ukraine.

Can't quite understand why Konoplyanka and Yarmolenko aren't at top clubs, both are really good players.

I'm not as convinced about Grealish as others.

He's a featherweight, and he doesn't look like he does any strength work. He's easily manhandled like what Hull did to him, even though they were dirty about it. Not sure this Villa squad can accommodate an all flair type of player. He's gonna need to really get stuck in and I haven't really seen him do that yet. Still have high hopes for him  though.