Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

At Calais,  surely the easiest way to get rid of the scum trying to get into lorries to get into the UK is to:-

Purchase 10 x 40 ton lorries UK registered.

Park them in the Queue to get on the tunnel / ferry.

Make them easy to get into.

Camera in the back.

Wait until full then padlock the back and drive them to South of Spain.

Open / Empty.

Repeat.

(Make sure there is food and water etc.)  Lot cheaper than dealing with it when they manage to get across.

Well, I guess there are two or three points here.

Firstly, without wishing to look like Mr wet PC lefty, if I was fit and able and lived anywhere across that band of north africa and beyond, I would be that scum trying to get to a 'good' country such as the UK. If the UK descended into murderous anarchy and the rest of europe were using it for bombing practise, again, I would be that scum trying to leave.

Secondly, perhaps if the government was actually genuinely serious about not letting scum in to the country they'd properly resource border control?

• Like 3

It's like calling snooker 'table stick ball' or boxing 'leather fists'

It's not the name of the sport

That analogy only works if people were trying to incorrectly call it football, and not the other way around, or is that the point you were making? They even call it soccer over here because we have our own football. FWIW as OP says, the word soccer originated in Britain. It's not a foreign word. It's your word.

It's a class thing. Football is a working class sport. 'Soccer' is is used (usually slightly condescendingly) by middle class people, to distinguish it from 'their' form of 'football', i.e. rugby union (aka 'rugger').

It's a class thing. Football is a working class sport. 'Soccer' is is used (usually slightly condescendingly) by middle class people, to distinguish it from 'their' form of 'football', i.e. rugby union (aka 'rugger').

Really? Even now?

I've been involved in plenty of rugby circles, especially up until the age of about 20 when I played it a lot, to a reasonably high level.

I don't remember ever hearing anyone call football "soccer" and rugby "football".

I'm sure it used to be that way. In our hall at school we had shields lining the walls with the names of people who received Rugby "colours" on them. They go back about 150 years. The early ones (I'd say up until about world war 2) all referred to the sport as "Football".

But I'm not sure that's the case anymore. Rugby is Rugby, at least in this country.

OK, maybe not so true these days. But it certainly was when I was growing up, and that is why I hate the word. I can still remember my grammar school headmaster using it like he had a nasty taste in the mouth - "We play RUGBY FOOTBALL at this school, not... [sneers]... soccer". And American football is played more with the hands than the feet, so they may as well call it rugby, leaving the correct word for the actual ball kicking sport.

• Like 3

yep, same at my comp, which back in my day was simply a machine for finding the best 15 rugby players in any one year group

if you weren't good enough for the first, second or thirds you'd be exiled to the disused tennis court to organise your own game of soccer with the wimps and nerds

the PE teachers used the word 'soccer' like it was filth to try and instil in people the importance and legitimacy of their bastardised perversion of football

the 's' word is my 'n' word, you don't get to use it against me, only I can use it (too much?)

• Like 1

OK, maybe not so true these days. But it certainly was when I was growing up, and that is why I hate the word. I can still remember my grammar school headmaster using it like he had a nasty taste in the mouth - "We play RUGBY FOOTBALL at this school, not... [sneers]... soccer". And American football is played more with the hands than the feet, so they may as well call it rugby, leaving the correct word for the actual ball kicking sport.

But wasn't the whole idea of grammar schools to elevate working-class children into the middle-classes by aping the values and curriculum of the public schools?

Edited by MakemineVanilla

I don't think that's correct - at least not in the clear class delineation you have described.

Soccer as a pejorative term is used, as you say, by those who sneeringly think that rugby is the sport to play and football isn't which I'd suggest is a very small constituency (as BOF points out it may also be used just as a distinguishing term).

It would likely have been used just as much by your old grammar school headmaster to describe all of those public schools that are/were predominately (or perhaps exclusively back in those days) football schools.

On topic though. Coffee. I mean I drink the stuff. It's fine. But I don't depend on it medically in the morning like some and the taste doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy. Basically coffee is a way to get out of the office twice a day for fresh air and a chat.  I never drink it at home.

• Like 2

On topic though. Coffee. I mean I drink the stuff. It's fine. But I don't depend on it medically in the morning like some and the taste doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy. Basically coffee is a way to get out of the office twice a day for fresh air and a chat.  I never drink it at home.

Yeah I agree with that.

I enjoy a nice coffee. I like the drink. But I've never understood the addiction to it that so many have.

But then again I tend to think I have some sort of immunity to caffeine. I never get a buzz off coffee or tea or Red Bull, no matter how strong, and I regularly drink a large mug shortly before bed and never have trouble sleeping.

Maybe if it had more of an effect I'd be more partial to it.

(that sounds a bit like a brag. It's not supposed to be!)

Thank you!

It doesnt even keep you awake. I once read a study that showed that getting up and making the coffee is going to make you more alert and awake then drinking itself.

It's nice, it tastes fine. Thats it.

My wife is addicted to caffeine, if she's not had tea, she has to have a diet pepsi/coke.  When she was pregnant, the handbooks say "come off caffine, because your baby could get withdrawal symptoms when their born, which aren't fun", and she tried really had but gave in, in the end.

I know a guy a work, fit as a fiddle, goes riding hundreds of miles every weekend on his tandem bike with his wife.  He told me he went cold turkey and ended up in bed under the covers, headaches, sweats, anxiety, just because he hadn't had any caffeine in 3 days.  He gave up, giving up too.

I can completely ignore caffeine, I had my first coffee (don't drink tea) this morning and I'm absolutely not bothered by coke either.  That said, I was on a stag do once and it was the night before we came home from Prague.  Everyone was exhausted and I bought a Red Bull and it gave me a massive rush, for exactly 1 hour, then I was back to being completely exhausted again.  That was a weird experience. 

I can take it or leave it, me.

CIROBdKXAAAiHY6.jpg

it's mostly about the mug...

The conversation was about coffee, not freeze dried caffeinated granules. They don't even say coffee on the tins. :)

• Like 3

I wouldn't allow any of those three Nestle products in my house!

But free is free.

I do find that it means I make a coffee, drink the top of it, then an hour or so later go and tip it away and make another one. I suspect I need the activity of going to make a coffee more than I need the drink.

Â