Paul Lambert

limpid

Job done I guess. It seems every game has to be an amazing performance or it's a really crap one on here. Is there no such thing as just okay or satisfactory?

There is...but today didn't constitute such.

Edited by Isa

Thing is we have retained our position in the league which is all you can realistically expect to be honest given the level of investment, it shows he is doing a good job to keep us where we are and in order for us to progress we need to be buying better players

The level of investment (net transfer fees) is more than 11 of the current premier league teams since has Lambert has been here!

Ill have whatever he's drinking!

Blackpool came and parked the bus, this can be hard to break down for even the best of teams when a team play like that.  Lambert put out an attacking team by playing Grealish and Cole and dropped the 2 players that everyone has being saying need dropping and we also kept another clean sheet.  Plenty of positives to take from that game. We look a real solid team now and have a good platform to build on.  Lambert said when he first came that it was gonna take 2 or 3 seasons to get things right here and get the squad sorted and with a couple of decent attacking signings we should finally have a quality team.

• Like 4

Today it has been confirmed Aston Villa FC that a goal was actually scored at Villa Park and despite the best efforts of the team and Mr Paul Lambert that this indeed resulted in a victory for Aston Villa.  A spokesperson

for the club has indicated that as a result of this complete ignorance of club policy an internal investigation will be held and disciplinary proceedings will be the result.  Owner Randy Learner has expressed his deep disgust

with all the employees of the club that have associated with this occasion.  Also it has been reported by the BBC, Al-Jazeera and Sky news

that as a result of this earth shattering event at Villa Park all members of the Islamic State have pledged their allegiance to Israel and are converting to Judaism in huge numbers and their leader has admitted live on Al-

Jazeera that he is in fact a cross dresser  and buys his lingerie from Victoria's Secret on-line!!!

Blackpool came and parked the bus, this can be hard to break down for even the best of teams when a team play like that. Lambert put out an attacking team by playing Grealish and Cole and dropped the 2 players that everyone has being saying need dropping and we also kept another clean sheet. Plenty of positives to take from that game. We look a real solid team now and have a good platform to build on. Lambert said when he first came that it was gonna take 2 or 3 seasons to get things right here and get the squad sorted and with a couple of decent attacking signings we should finally have a quality team.

Blackpool didn't park the bus though. We just took so long to build any kind of an attack, that by the time we got the ball near their box, all their players were back.

This is part of our problem. Lambert's going for a steady, passing game, but we don't have the creative passers and movement to complete a splitting, forward pass to bypass 4 or 5 players and actually have a decent attempt on goal.

It means that you have been taken in by watching a pile of crap!!  Let's not forget it was Blackpool who nearly scored first!!!  Also Grealish is an average player at best and people cannot understand what all the fuss is about!!!!

Conceded too many goals - "he needs to sort the defence , his defence is rubbish he'll never sort it"

Sorts the defence -"we are too defensive"

And both points are correct. We were conceding too many goals, we are now not scoring enough. Are you disagreeing with that? Is there something wrong with wanting a balance between defence and attack?

Has little possession in winning games - " god look at how awful we are stats stats stats blah blah blah needs to sort out our style of football "

Changes style - " god we are so boring we are passing too much and going nowhere"

Again, both statements are correct. We did need to sort out our style of football because we were constantly under pressure abandoned conceding goals. We have done so, but our new style of football means that we're not scoring. I am at a loss as to what point you're trying to make.

Plays youngsters and not the unmotivated old brigade ( was actually told at a forum by fans Hutton should never play for us again ) " this ain't working he needs to play more experience "

Plays experienced players - " can't believe he's changed philosophy it shows he has no idea "

Damned if he does damned if he doesn't

When did I say it means he has no idea? It shows he has the same idea as almost everyone else, just way after everyone had it.

I'll say it again: a change of philosophy is fine - in fact a lack of flexibility has been one of Lambert's failings, so a change is a positive. But if, as I believe, he was hired because he thought he could make young and hungry a success, abandoning that philosophy HAS to count as a failure to make that happen.

We can't beat the likes of Sunderland and palace, we scrape past the worst team in the championship, and people still think we will stay up?

There has even been people saying they wouldn't mind going down in order "to do a Newcastle and come back stronger" well today's game and previous attempts to beat lower league opposition show that with this manager in charge we would undoubtedly struggle in the championship.

There are no excuses left, Lambert must go.

We're 12th

Job done I guess. It seems every game has to be an amazing performance or it's a really crap one on here. Is there no such thing as just okay or satisfactory?

I'm sorry Keyblade, but that's an utterly ridiculous post.

You must see the difference between us playing 'okay/ good enough' whilst scraping a win, and today's game, where we played poorly, created almost nothing and only won because of a Benteke volley/poor bit of goalkeeping.

Baring in mind, this was not against a lower Prem or high flying Championship team. This was an almost full strength Villa against Blackpool, who have been d*cked by half the Championship this year.

People will give credit when it's due.

Edited by Rob182

If he sticks with young and hungry, he's wrong.  If he signs experienced players, he's wrong.

Yeah but nobody's said that, have they? People were decrying young and hungry and crying out for more experience, and I haven't seen anyone say that they want young and hungry back.

The problem with the abandonment of young and hungry is that it was Lambert's policy. After all, he built his reputation at Norwich by creating a successful team out of cheap young players. Couple that with an owner looking to reduce costs and I refuse to believe that young and hungry wasn't at least part of the reason Lambert got the job at Villa. Abandoning the policy is tantamount to admitting that one of the reasons Lambert was employed in the first place turned out to be a mistake.

So exactly what I'm saying then.  Sticks with young and hungry, wasn't working - he's wrong.  Acknowledges it wasn't working, changes policy - he's wrong.

Nope. Young and hungry wasn't working, so changes to more experience - in my opinion, he's right. But that doesn't change the fact that he proposed (or agreed to) a policy and then couldn't make it work. Getting things right the second time doesn't change that he got them wrong the first time. And that's okay - if he's genuinely learning from his mistakes then that's a very good thing.

We can't beat the likes of Sunderland and palace, we scrape past the worst team in the championship, and people still think we will stay up?

There has even been people saying they wouldn't mind going down in order "to do a Newcastle and come back stronger" well today's game and previous attempts to beat lower league opposition show that with this manager in charge we would undoubtedly struggle in the championship.

We're 12th

Same thing was said last year when we reached the dizzy heights of 11th.

Can you see us being in 12th place come the end of the month? 

We're 12th

CommentPhotos.com_1395568541.jpg

The same blah blah blah as all you who find negatives in everything. No game is a divine right to win. Has to be earned just like man Utd left it late against mighty Yeovil and the mighty Southampton against Ipswich and Stoke against Wrexham.

• Like 3

If he sticks with young and hungry, he's wrong. If he signs experienced players, he's wrong.

Yeah but nobody's said that, have they? People were decrying young and hungry and crying out for more experience, and I haven't seen anyone say that they want young and hungry back.

I want it back. In fact, I never wanted it abandoned in the first place. It was a viable model if executed properly. Signing a bunch of experienced players with no re-sale value is short-term and leads nowhere. Lambert completely u-turning on this policy with it being the entire basis of his 'project' was one of the most cowardly and pathetic things I've ever seen. The problem was only in his execution of it, not in the model itself.

Fair enough. I think that done right the young and hungry policy could work, but my personal feeling is that it should be a more gradual change than we had. Throwing together a team of young, potentially talented players is fine in the lower divisions where the competition is relatively not as good, but replacing so many first team players with young, potentially talented players at once in the premier league was always going to be a much tougher task. It's important to bring young new talent to the fore, but it's best served by surrounding it with experience to help deal with the mistakes that young players will inevitably make.

Â