Paul Lambert

limpid

Changing managers will not make a difference, we will be in the same situation with a new manager.

What is required is more investment from the owner.

From his track record here Lambert seems like he would spend an increased budget pretty wisely as well.

• Like 3

Think how long it took David Moyes to build his style and 'brand of football' at Everton, where he joined at a similar stage to Lambert in his career and with a similar budget. Moyes' Prem finishes were (15th, 7th, 17th, 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th). So far Lambert has (15th, 15th, and currently 12th). In Lambert we trust!!!!!

Not really comparable. Moyes's first "prem finish" as you describe it came in a season where he joined Everton in March and saved the club from potential relegation. So in his first full season he got 7th and his first three were actually 7th, 17th and 4th. Compared with Lambert's 15th, 15th and (so far) 12th.

Not such a great story then. 

Fair enough (i tried to sneak that one in without anyone noticing!), however my counter argument to this would be that the Prem is now more competitive compared to 10yrs ago, and that Moyes is being used as a gold standard example...if Lambert is slightly off Moyes's achievements that doesn't mean he dereves the sack. (If he was too successful Man Utd might try to poach him instead ;)

There is a lot of negativity towards Paul Lambert which saddens me.

I think that Paul Lambert is a top bloke. As a player he has proved himself as hardworking, adaptable, driven and successful. He's had a solid and successful career, winning domestic and European trophies, as well as gaining unique experience and insight into top German football.

I admire his approach and demeanor (never too high or too low - just stay the course), and I genuinely want to see him succeed. 

Look I was as depressed as the next Villa fan to see the 0-0 result come in, and I feel sorry for the 28k who went to see it, but unfortunately the Premier League has changed over the last 20 yrs. Money talks, the top clubs have the monopoly on players, trophies and titles, and the rest of us are left to feed on scraps.

Realistically we have a chairman who wants to sell (and who can blame him after £200+ million investment with nothing to show for it), and limited funds for wages and transfers. We need to find a path that gives us some development and consistency, and some hope of happier times ahead...and I 100% believe that Paul Lambert is the man to lead us on that path. 

Paul Lambert is 45 years old, and is in only his 4th Premier League season as a manager. He had great success at Wycombe and Norwich, and as of yet is yet to emulate that level at Villa, however he, like many of our squad is still learning. We must give him respect, time and our support. There are plenty of positives if you look a bit deeper:

- Shrewd Transfers: Benteke, Okore, Vlaar, Guzan, Cissoko, Sanchez (remember when O'Neill was splurging millions on Davies, Harewood, Reo Coker and Heskey, we all wanted transfers like these)

- Financial Control: Luna, Bennet, Bowery, El Ahmadi didn't work, however due to lower wages and fees it wasn't the end of the world

- Man management: players love him, and he's developing/bringing through youth/young players - Grealish, Clark, Baker, Wiemann, Okore, Westwood, Delph

For me, the main area we need to work on, is for both Lambert and Villa to find their perfect playing style and system (something we are yet to do). He's tightened up the defence, and actually got a really strong core in the team Guzan - Okore/Vlaar - Sanchez/Delph - Benteke, however you can tell we've not yet settled on a style of play. Think about how many goals we banged in in Lamberts first season GF47 vs GA69, last year it was 8 less scored and 8 less conceded, this year were on for GF21 vs GA42 (actually a +1 overall GD improvement on the last 2 years). If we can add a few more goals into our season whilst still staying firm at the back, we can become a top 10 side.

I actually thought the 'we're trying a new passing style' quote from Lambert almost quite naive and endearing. I really relate to a young manager who is trying to learn and develop and improve our clubs fortunes. I genuinely believe if we are patient and stick with it, we will improve in the long run. Why get rid of Paul Lambert and substitute with some other poor guy we can all moan about and demand their resignation? Lambert has a plan, and I belive he will lead us up to table in the seasons to come.

Think how long it took David Moyes to build his style and 'brand of football' at Everton, where he joined at a similar stage to Lambert in his career and with a similar budget. Moyes' Prem finishes were (15th, 7th, 17th, 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th). So far Lambert has (15th, 15th, and currently 12th). In Lambert we trust!!!!!

Good post, but do the players love him? Actually feel this side shows less desire than any Villa side I've seen. After Sunderland only Grealish and Vlaar stayed beyond to acknowledge the Holte, which was **** freezing. I think there are fractures with morale personally.

Also Moyes got 7th and 4th in his first two seasons? Probably not the best example.

We need new ideas desperately. If that's the manager or the players who knows, but by the start of February if things remain as turgid as they are, he's got to go. He had the chance to get a decent CAM in several times, but hasn't. He bought Kozak for £7m, who whilst decent, was the position we least needed back up in.

Not really comparable. Moyes's first "prem finish" as you describe it came in a season where he joined Everton in March and saved the club from potential relegation. So in his first full season he got 7th and his first three were actually 7th, 17th and 4th. Compared with Lambert's 15th, 15th and (so far) 12th.

Yes. The key difference is that Moyes showed enough in his first [full] season to justify the club keeping faith with him after the subsequent bad season. Whereas Lambert has shown absolutely nothing to warrant any faith in him and any long-term plan that involves him.

I truly detest the idea that if you give a manager enough time, they will ultimately succeed. It's almost as tedious as the idea that different managers will get exactly the same results on the same budget.

Changing managers will not make a difference, we will be in the same situation with a new manager.

From his track record here Lambert seems like he would spend an increased budget pretty wisely as well.

I agree changing managers will change little and more investment is needed.

The amount is the issue and the elephant in the room.

FFP doesn't allow him to bung loads of money on the table one year it is a three year investment plan which is continuous and when you see our three year loss you couldn't throw it all down in one year anyway.

Realism is what is needed and the more people that realise what our three year loss is and how it is being sorted out coupled with the new rules the more content people will feel.

It's a slow burn

Yes. The key difference is that Moyes showed enough in his first [full] season to justify the club keeping faith with him after the subsequent bad season. Whereas Lambert has shown absolutely nothing to warrant any faith in him and any long-term plan that involves him.

I truly detest the idea that if you give a manager enough time, they will ultimately succeed. It's almost as tedious as the idea that different managers will get exactly the same results on the same budget.

Honestly though, do you really believe that Lambert has shown absolutely nothing. I don't believe that a club should show blind faith in their manager and give them time for time's sake, for instance I fully agreed with the decision to get rid of McLiesh,

However I believe that Paul Lambert has potential, is building a team with young and promising players, and that given these factors ultimately a bit of consistency and stability is far more attractive than throwing another manager into the arena (what would be the 6th in 5 years maybe?)

For me one of the main problems is the massive expectations of the Villa fanbase, and the hostile atmosphere it can sometimes generate at Villa Park.

• Like 1

I think Lambert's biggest failure is the unwillingness to chastise his players for poor performances. I would think that is what they need at this point in time. 

I do not doubt his tactics. I do not doubt his signings. I doubt the amount of money he has and the options on hand. It really is near impossible to survive in this league spending less than 10m pounds a year on transfers. When we had our biggest recent successes playing in Europe back in the early 2000s we were still spending more that we do now and the price of a player is ten times what it used to be. Juan Pablo Angel cost 9m. Benteke cost 7.5m.

We desperately need investment. We are 2 or 3 players away from competing for europa league spots in my opinion.  Our defense is one of the most solid ones in the league. If we could hold on to Delph and Vlaar and invest in a young talented attacking midfielder with tons of creativity like Dennis Praet or Juan Fernando Quintero, and some decent wingers, there's no telling how far this team could go.

There is a lot of negativity towards Paul Lambert which saddens me.

I think that Paul Lambert is a top bloke. As a player he has proved himself as hardworking, adaptable, driven and successful. He's had a solid and successful career, winning domestic and European trophies, as well as gaining unique experience and insight into top German football.

I admire his approach and demeanor (never too high or too low - just stay the course), and I genuinely want to see him succeed. 

Look I was as depressed as the next Villa fan to see the 0-0 result come in, and I feel sorry for the 28k who went to see it, but unfortunately the Premier League has changed over the last 20 yrs. Money talks, the top clubs have the monopoly on players, trophies and titles, and the rest of us are left to feed on scraps.

Realistically we have a chairman who wants to sell (and who can blame him after £200+ million investment with nothing to show for it), and limited funds for wages and transfers. We need to find a path that gives us some development and consistency, and some hope of happier times ahead...and I 100% believe that Paul Lambert is the man to lead us on that path. 

Paul Lambert is 45 years old, and is in only his 4th Premier League season as a manager. He had great success at Wycombe and Norwich, and as of yet is yet to emulate that level at Villa, however he, like many of our squad is still learning. We must give him respect, time and our support. There are plenty of positives if you look a bit deeper:

- Shrewd Transfers: Benteke, Okore, Vlaar, Guzan, Cissoko, Sanchez (remember when O'Neill was splurging millions on Davies, Harewood, Reo Coker and Heskey, we all wanted transfers like these)

- Financial Control: Luna, Bennet, Bowery, El Ahmadi didn't work, however due to lower wages and fees it wasn't the end of the world

- Man management: players love him, and he's developing/bringing through youth/young players - Grealish, Clark, Baker, Wiemann, Okore, Westwood, Delph

For me, the main area we need to work on, is for both Lambert and Villa to find their perfect playing style and system (something we are yet to do). He's tightened up the defence, and actually got a really strong core in the team Guzan - Okore/Vlaar - Sanchez/Delph - Benteke, however you can tell we've not yet settled on a style of play. Think about how many goals we banged in in Lamberts first season GF47 vs GA69, last year it was 8 less scored and 8 less conceded, this year were on for GF21 vs GA42 (actually a +1 overall GD improvement on the last 2 years). If we can add a few more goals into our season whilst still staying firm at the back, we can become a top 10 side.

I actually thought the 'we're trying a new passing style' quote from Lambert almost quite naive and endearing. I really relate to a young manager who is trying to learn and develop and improve our clubs fortunes. I genuinely believe if we are patient and stick with it, we will improve in the long run. Why get rid of Paul Lambert and substitute with some other poor guy we can all moan about and demand their resignation? Lambert has a plan, and I belive he will lead us up to table in the seasons to come.

Good post, but do the players love him? Actually feel this side shows less desire than any Villa side I've seen. After Sunderland only Grealish and Vlaar stayed beyond to acknowledge the Holte, which was **** freezing. I think there are fractures with morale personally.

Also Moyes got 7th and 4th in his first two seasons? Probably not the best example.

We need new ideas desperately. If that's the manager or the players who knows, but by the start of February if things remain as turgid as they are, he's got to go. He had the chance to get a decent CAM in several times, but hasn't. He bought Kozak for £7m, who whilst decent, was the position we least needed back up in.

Hey gilbertoAVFC, cheers for the reply...

I don't think the workrate or desire of the team has dropped since PL has been in charge (unlike in McLiesh and Houllier's tenure). I mean we've fought bloody hard the last few games when down to 10 men, and are always pressing and working hard.

The lack of movement by the players towards the Holte may be out of fear and trepidation for the abuse they might get! I've heard some shocking stuff aimed at the players sometimes!

Also, Moyes was actually 7th then 17th in his first two seasons, so he nearly took Everton down!

I do think that probably pre-season would have been the best time to adopt the passing style rather than 15 games into the season, but it's probably a reaction to our much more secure defence.

However I believe that Paul Lambert has potential, is building a team with young and promising players, and that given these factors ultimately a bit of consistency and stability is far more attractive than throwing another manager into the arena (what would be the 6th in 5 years maybe?)

What young players? The 'young and hungry' policy was abandoned in the summer. In fact, the buzzword used regarding every one of the summer signings was "experience". We have only one player in the team that can qualify as "young and promising" and that is Okore.

Edited by Isa

What young players? The 'young and hungry' policy was abandoned in the summer. In fact, the buzzword used regarding every one of the summer signings was "experience". We have only one player in the team that can qualify as "young and promising" and that is Okore.

Fair enough, as per link below we're about average in the age stakes:

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/swf/da2015_v01_eng.swf

I don't even care anymore. It's all so predictable and boring. I know we're doing okay results-wise, but surely there's a better way than passing the ball forever and not doing anything? Sigh.

Just to make it clear, I'm perfectly aware that Lambert isn't going anywhere because Lerner is satisfied, and I'm perfectly aware that complaining on an internet discussion forum isn't going to change Lerner's mind or cause Lambert to fall on his sword. But saying "I just don't see the point of complaining on a forum because it isn't going to change anything" seems to me to be completely missing the point of what internet discussion forums are for.

Put simply, just because the owner has such dramatically low expectations doesn't mean I have to.

You can extend that to the people shouting down anyone who has the audacity to not want to sack Lambert too to be fair.

His track record also shows adding good players will result in the same kind of results.

Why won't changing the manager make a difference? Do you honestly believe yesterdays performance was the absolute best that squad was capable of?

We have no drive in the midfield without Delph, so he's been a bit unlucky that he's out AGAIN; but to continue with Weimann who literally cannot control the ball just shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what his own plan is. How can you have a passing game with Weimann, Agbonlahor and Bacuna all in there?

That's harsh on Bacuna. He was one of our best players yesterday, in my opinion.

Its the breaking records bit that show me he's a big part of the problem.

1sr year - most goals conceded in prem history.

2nd year - most home losses in a season.

3rd year - looking incredibly like lowest goals scored in a season.

Are his working conditions the worst in our premiership history? The worst in the clubs history? Are they really bad enough to justify these sorts of lows? And if his conditions are the reason why did he jump at the chance to sign a new deal? Why's he constantly praising the owner?

Are his working conditions the worst in our premiership history? The worst in the clubs history? Are they really bad enough to justify these sorts of lows? And if his conditions are the reason why did he jump at the chance to sign a new deal? Why's he constantly praising the owner?

He is a stooge.

I couldn't give a crap about records such as most goals conceded - if we didn't go down, it simply doesn't matter.

The problem for me is that we're not going anywhere.  There really should be some sort of improvement in play/understanding in the team and, for me, it's not there.  He doesn't have financial backing behind him, but we should be a better team to watch than we are.  As I've said before, though, we're 12th.  He won't be sacked for being 12th.

Two good sites to have a look at.

http://Premier League.squawka.com/aston-villa-vs-crystal-palace/01-01-2015/english-barclays-premier-league/matches

and

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fixtures.html#s2014-m755493

Check out the heat maps and passing of gabby and weimman. 

We play with no attacking width at all.  We never get to the byline and put crosses in for Benteke to attack.  This isn't down to these two players being poor.  This is down to Lambert and the way he wants them to play.  Why do we keep going with such a narrow set up when playing 3 attacking players? It's so easy to defend and does nothing to play to the strengths of Benteke.

Â