Paul Lambert

limpid

Now that we seem to have gotten past more of the pro and anti arguments, I think this thread acts almost as an "after game thoughts" thread, and thus...

...I thought we were good today.  If anything, we were actually spurred on by the (incorrect) red card - Man Utd were more threatening up until that point.  The defensive core of Guzan and any/all of Okore/Vlaar/Clark looks so, so solid.  Sanchez is improving in midfield and Delph coming back is an obvious boost.  The notion of keeping the ball more is a good choice and allows us to build; and we were brave (and correct) to keep this against Utd.  Benteke is obviously a class act, of course.  It's a shame we can't keep a completely settled side due to injuries and suspensions, but I think the signs are promising.  I genuinely think we would've got a result against the Baggies had it not been for Richardson and, whilst the "second best" team today, we still could've won this.  De Gea's save from Benteke was superb.

Irrespective of whether or not Paul Lambert is the right man for Aston Villa (I've still got time for him), I think we're starting to show signs of a settled team that needs to add quality - especially in a creative sense.  Is anyone massively worried about relegation?

I agree about the red card, it really fired us up and that sense of injustice motivated everyone. I though Lambert did pretty well today too, I would have liked Bacuna to start but that was my only real complaint. 

The nature of the table means a couple of defeats drops us right back down there so relegation is still a concern for me. 

Probably the right thing to do by playing deep and countering that awful United defence but we still look very poor in attack....might need to drop Gabby and try something new in order to get us going forward with purpose but fair play in respect today result, the second string helped and didn't hinder.

We're definitely solid in defence (yey to fan pressure/injuries), Sanchez is doing well, Delph's return was very important to getting us space and Benteke has more time on the ball because of it. I really believe if we get something different between central midfield and striker we'll get goals. Let's hope for a winger who plays with his head up for a CD/CAM who thinks pass first but has a good shot.

Going to be an interesting/hectic few weeks for the youth players before the January window begins.

I'm very happy he is trying to change things on the field. I predicted we'd play five across the back and it worked well for us today. It's going to take 2-3 months for the team to get fully use to the system (passing). Going to give him a bit of breathing space to see if he can continue the philosophy change. 

Team deserve a lot of credit after today's game. Against a Man U team full of internationals on a 6 match winning streak. Only the sending off spoils the day.

• Like 2

Lambert did very well today. He seemed to learn from the WBA game, which is good. I like our look much better now than early in the season. Our back end is strong. Lambert has started to use that fact properly, and trust those guys.

• Like 2

8 Players out, 10 men down to a Utd team that has won 6 on the bounce and we only drew with them!!

Lamberk out ;)

You have to wonder why injuries were such an excuse when we played other 'big spenders' eh?

Shame the manager messed up.

Another performance that will have me slowly turning around to being a lambert fan.  I like the way we've started trying to play it out from the back, not sure why it's taken 3 years to get round to it though.  Players continue to fight and play for him and he's really made some top signings.  It actually makes me slightly excited to see who he would bring in with the benteke money.  

One slight mistake IMO was lowton at rb, i thought young ripped him apart today and LVG did us a big favour by switching him to the right where his crossing was ineffective.

Impressed and hope it continues over the next few games.  We've got a real chance to pick up some decent points over the next few weeks and get ourselves up the table.

8 Players out, 10 men down to a Utd team that has won 6 on the bounce and we only drew with them!!

Lamberk out ;)

You have to wonder why injuries were such an excuse when we played other 'big spenders' eh?

Yeah, I can't possibly believe people thought we'd struggle without Benteke.

• Like 1

Really liking our new style of play, its quite refreshing. However, whenever we have a good portion of the ball sometimes we seem to struggle what to do with it.

For now though, things aren't looking too bad. Well done, Paul. 

Lamberk out ;)

They didn't mind rubbing it in after the first four games. Strange that changed by November, any idea why?

Lamberk out ;)

They didn't mind rubbing it in after the first four games. Strange that changed by November, any idea why?

Because we played Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and Everton on the bounce?

Don't let that get in the way of the hate though.

• Like 1

Lamberk out ;)

Because we played Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and Everton on the bounce?

And with, what 8 players missing should have beaten Man United.

Don't let that stop you though.

Lamberk out ;)

And with, what 8 players missing should have beaten Man United.

Don't let that stop you though.

What?  Before the game I'd have absolutely taken a point.  United had won 6 on the bounce and are a better team than us.  We played well today but it doesn't mean that "excuses" previously weren't legitimate.  Your initial point was "You have to wonder why injuries were such an excuse when we played other 'big spenders'".  You really don't.  In those games, we were without Benteke.  Today, we had him in our side and he scored.  He makes a huge difference to the team.

You're just hating Lambert.  It's **** tiring.

• Like 2

Really liking our new style of play, its quite refreshing. However, whenever we have a good portion of the ball sometimes we seem to struggle what to do with it.

Something we have struggled with for the last 5 years. Lambert either needs to give grealish a chance or buy a no 10 in January because Joe cole will play about 42 minutes this season with his injury trouble

Something we have struggled with for the last 5 years. Lambert either needs to give grealish a chance or buy a no 10 in January because Joe cole will play about 42 minutes this season with his injury trouble

If he even bothers with a number 10 at all.

With all the disruption we've had this season, I'd be surprised if Lambert knows his best formation for his best 11 (although he seems remarkably stubborn with the 4-3-3-esque thing).

I liked the look of the 5-3-2 or what ever it was today. Popping Hutton in at right back would cut out the glaring weak spot we had today. Lowton was exposed with playing Weimann further in field. Credit to Lambert for the tactics. Aghbonlahor got lost out on the wing a lot late in the first half and before the sending off. With a bit more creativity there we could have built a lot more effectively.

Â