Paul Lambert

limpid

A manager can game plan all week and in the 1st minute somebody gets sent off.

His fault?

I guessing no-one's blaming him for Richardson getting sent off though, they're blaming him for the loss.

You don't see how somebody getting fouled badly and injured on their debut could affect their confidence? Really?

It wasn't a foul, it was just an unfortunate collision. It could've happened to anyone regardless of age. It is a pretty wild leap to assume what you are. Also, by this argument, never give anyone below the age of 20 their debut just on the off chance that they get injured?

I don't think anyone is saying that, they're simply disputing your assertion that injuries and confidence are never linked.

For whatever reason Koemans decision didn't end well, for either the player or the team. It just seems bizarre for this to be used as a reason to have a go at Lambert when there are other genuine reasons to be critical of him.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is saying that, they're simply disputing your assertion that injuries and confidence are never linked.

Which I didn't quite say. The actual assertion being made was that the kid being upset about his debut ending that way meant his confidence was now "shattered".

We really need to significantly improve our goal scoring ratio which currently stands at 0.625 per game which maintained over the season would see us with 23.75 goals from 38 games.

Looking back over the premiership seasons (only since 38 games constituted a season in 1995/96) the highest scoring relegated side ranged from between 34 in 2006/07 to 55 in 2010/11 with the majority of the highest scorers being in the 40's. Only on 5 occasions out of 19 seasons has the lowest scoring relegated team scored less than 30 goals and that was:

2013/14 - 28

2008/09 - 28

2007/08 - 20

2006/07 - 29

2002/03 - 21

Now, whilst I admit that the season also depends on how many you concede as well as score, the number of goals scored generally dictates how many games you win and draw over the course of a season (scoring an average of 0.625 is not going to win or draw many games).

Our team, whilst not shipping loads of goals in recent weeks mainly because we have been playing teams around us in the bottom half of the league, are not renowned for being resilient and conceding, on average, less than they score.

Given the above, I reckon over our next 22 games we have got to more than treble the amount of goals currently scored whilst maintaining a very tight defence.

Thoughts anyone?

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 1

Him having the confidence to start an 18yo isn't anything admirable when by the looks of things, the player's confidence was absolutely shattered. These things can take years to get over and some professionals never manage to. Grealish has massive potential but he needs to be handled with kid gloves and not drowned in the deep end.

Err, no. Hesketh was upset because his first league start was cut short by injury. That has no direct relevence to the lad's confidence.

You don't see how somebody getting fouled badly and injured on their debut could affect their confidence? Really?

How can you plan for an injury? I doubt it'd affect confidence as it's nothing to do with him. Would a 20yo or 30yo making a debut lose confidence? Injuries are part an parcel. Why is it we have to treat our youth with kid gloves when others get blooded? He's had a full season playing against clobbers it's not as if he's used to playing boys and then coming up against men. He may not be ready but how do you know if you don't give him a try from the start? It's not as if there's better in front of him.

"The point remains he had the confidence to start an 18yo"  :  That point is valid if you think starting a 18 year old is more important than getting something out of the game. High flying Southampton lost to Burnley and the kid ended up in tears on the bench. In what way is that a success.

"Grealish created more off the bench against Leicester than Gabby and NZogbia put together" : No he didn't. Gabby was instrumental in both goals. Gabby can be ineffectual at times but he certainly wasn't in the Leicester game.

"We have had plenty of chances to start him or to try something different yet he keeps picking the same players and hoping for a different result" : There have only been three games this season when Lambert has had the opportunity to start with the same eleven for consecutive games. 'He keeps picking the same players' is just plain wrong although I'm sure he'd like to be able to have a settled first team.

"Okore got his chance because there was no one left and has took it with both hands will it take another injury crisis this time in attack to use Grealish?" : Okore had to wait for his chance, whats wrong with that? None of Vlarr, Senderos, or Baker had deserved to lose their place through performance. Clarke has also played well since getting his chance. Yes Okore has taken his chance with both hands, maybe because he had to fight to get it.

You're better at taking the quotes but I'll address them in order.

the 18 yo was in tears on the bench as his full debut was cut short by injury that's something that can't be planned for. I think Grealish will give more to the team than the current incumbents.

Grealish did create more of the bench look at the stats. I think he was 2nd behind Cleverley but again you've read it one way to try to prove a point. Instrumental? Did he actually create the goals? One was a free kick the other he ran as fast as he could and past to Benteke who picked out a very good pass.

By the same players I mean Gabby NZogbia and Weimann and I'd say that's pretty obvious as I was talking about getting creativty in the team.

Okore wasn't even making match day squads. I understand he has to wait for his turn but PL never should any inclination to use him until it was the last resort. We have all seen Baker and Clark and know thier limations where as Okore could be something special. If he never got a chance I'd say he'd be angling for a move as the reason he joined was to play when bigger clubs were sniffing about.

We really need to significantly improve our goal scoring ratio which currently stands at 0.625 per game which maintained over the season would see us with 23.75 goals from 38 games.

Looking back over the premiership seasons (only since 38 games constituted a season in 1995/96) the highest scoring relegated side ranged from between 34 in 2006/07 to 55 in 2010/11 with the majority of the highest scorers being in the 40's. Only on 5 occasions out of 19 seasons has the lowest scoring relegated team scored less than 30 goals and that was:

2013/14 - 28

2008/09 - 28

2007/08 - 20

2006/07 - 29

2002/03 - 21

Now, whilst I admit that the season also depends on how many you concede as well as score, the number of goals scored generally dictates how many games you win and draw over the course of a season (scoring an average of 0.625 is not going to win or draw many games).

Our team, whilst not shipping loads of goals in recent weeks mainly because we have been playing teams around us in the bottom half of the league, are not renowned for being resilient and conceding, on average, less than they score.

Given the above, I reckon over our next 22 games we have got to more than treble the amount of goals currently scored whilst maintaining a very tight defence.

Thoughts anyone?

I did a similar analysis on a different thread.

The goal scoring needs to change and pick up soon or I think we will find ourselves in trouble.

With 22 games left the best we can hope for out of benteke is probably 11 more goals. That will take us to 21 goals. Have we got enough in the rest of the team?

How can you plan for an injury? I doubt it'd affect confidence as it's nothing to do with him. Would a 20yo or 30yo making a debut lose confidence? Injuries are part an parcel. Why is it we have to treat our youth with kid gloves when others get blooded? He's had a full season playing against clobbers it's not as if he's used to playing boys and then coming up against men. He may not be ready but how do you know if you don't give him a try from the start? It's not as if there's better in front of him.

This. That was the entire point of loaning him out to play "men's football" - as Mr. Lambert puts it - so that he is mentally and physically prepared to break into the first team. Now if you want to argue against his inclusion on the basis that Grealish isn't ready ability-wise then fair enough but I don't understand why we assume young players are so mentally fragile, that they will collapse if they are involved in any sort of hardship before the age of 21. If anything, that's how players learn and develop.

• Like 1

Looking back over the premiership seasons (only since 38 games constituted a season in 1995/96) the highest scoring relegated side ranged from between 34 in 2006/07 to 55 in 2010/11 with the majority of the highest scorers being in the 40's. Only on 5 occasions out of 19 seasons has the lowest scoring relegated team scored less than 30 goals and that was:

2013/14 - 28

2008/09 - 28

2007/08 - 20

2006/07 - 29

2002/03 - 21

Thoughts anyone?

I did a similar analysis on a different thread.

The goal scoring needs to change and pick up soon or I think we will find ourselves in trouble.

With 22 games left the best we can hope for out of benteke is probably 11 more goals. That will take us to 21 goals. Have we got enough in the rest of the team?

We would have to increase our goal scoring to just over 1.22 goals per game just to equal McLeish's poor return of 37 goals scored in 2011/12.

We would have to increase our goal scoring to just over 1.22 goals per game just to equal McLeish's poor return of 37 goals scored in 2011/12.

Does it even matter if we won 1-0 all the time?

Obviously, we won't and, obviously, goal scoring is a problem - but comparing it back to another season (and randomly 2011/12 at that, huh?) is pointless in isolation.

• Like 1

Should have had Grealish or Weimann or Robinson on earlier, as Benteke, Agbonlahor and Nzogbia were all terrible.

But as far as Lambert's responsibility for the loss is concerned, Lambert cannot be expected to legislate for the stupidity of a player.

I'm certain Lambert did not give Richardson instructions to try and break someones leg, but

- He picked him ahead of our current top scorer and highest in assists (Wiemann)

- He picked him for a derby

- He had all week with the players to get them playing the way he wanted

so Lambert remains responsible. If he isn't - then exactly what does he manage?

Either that Richardson sending off was purely and simply down to inept and utterly clueless management by the manager or Lambert's dropped the controller. It does happen occasionally. I've played enough FIFA to know.

So.... when a player does something on the pitch that is bad/poor/stupid - it's NOT Lambert's responsibility? Does he get the credit when they do something good?

If he gets one and not the other - why? If he get's neither - what does he do, exactly?

Let me re-iterate what I said previously: Whatever happens on the pitch, Lambert remains responsible.

Should have had Grealish or Weimann or Robinson on earlier, as Benteke, Agbonlahor and Nzogbia were all terrible.

But as far as Lambert's responsibility for the loss is concerned, Lambert cannot be expected to legislate for the stupidity of a player.

I'm certain Lambert did not give Richardson instructions to try and break someones leg, but

- He picked him ahead of our current top scorer and highest in assists (Wiemann)

Either that Richardson sending off was purely and simply down to inept and utterly clueless management by the manager or Lambert's dropped the controller. It does happen occasionally. I've played enough FIFA to know.

So.... when a player does something on the pitch that is bad/poor/stupid - it's NOT Lambert's responsibility? Does he get the credit when they do something good?

If he gets one and not the other - why? If he get's neither - what does he do, exactly?

Let me re-iterate what I said previously: Whatever happens on the pitch, Lambert remains responsible.

No, you're just wrong.

If a player gets sent off, that isn't down to Lambert.  If a player scores a 30 yard wonder strike, that isn't down to Lambert.  It's pretty **** obvious that this is the case, too.

Him having the confidence to start an 18yo isn't anything admirable when by the looks of things, the player's confidence was absolutely shattered. These things can take years to get over and some professionals never manage to. Grealish has massive potential but he needs to be handled with kid gloves and not drowned in the deep end.

Err, no. Hesketh was upset because his first league start was cut short by injury. That has no direct relevence to the lad's confidence.

How can you plan for an injury?

Well since the manager picked the player then he's obviously responsible for the injury and loss of confidence by extension, just as he is for everything else that takes place on the pitch regardless of whether or not they were under his control.

No, you're just wrong.

If a player gets sent off, that isn't down to Lambert.  If a player scores a 30 yard wonder strike, that isn't down to Lambert.  It's pretty **** obvious that this is the case, too.

So, by your admission, the players do it all and it's not down to Lambert. Why do we have a manager, then? Why can't Randy just send out the first 11 and save himself a few bob?

By role definition, the manager is responsible. I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp for many (yours just an example). Keyblade gets it:

Well since the manager picked the player then he's obviously responsible for the injury and loss of confidence by extension, just as he is for everything else that takes place on the pitch regardless of whether or not they were under his control.

No, you're just wrong.

If a player gets sent off, that isn't down to Lambert. If a player scores a 30 yard wonder strike, that isn't down to Lambert. It's pretty **** obvious that this is the case, too.

So he gets no credit for the 3 points at palace?

I can understand people being concerned with the lack of goals but I can see hope there due to the fact we have our best attackers available again.

I am worried about the defence. I'm pretty sure that the only reason we've looked more solid this season is because of our solid full backs and the centre backs not having to worry about what's going on wide of them. But, if anything happened to Hutton and Cissokho I'd be concerned about how many goals we'd concede again.

• Like 1

Â