Paul Lambert

limpid

Has anyone mentioned the stat, possession fans, that Sunderland had more possession than Southampton at the weekend?

I don't imagine they have, for the main reason that it isn't true.  53-47 in Southampton's favour.

Nice story though.

That's annoying. I was going by Football Weekly quoting it.

Retracted! (although Whoscored's match centre backs it up, whereas their overall stats report doesn't. So God knows how they work that one out.)

Not sure there was any need for the condescending last sentence. :thumb:

I thought it important to quash such nonsense entirely.  The "possession fans" bit in your post seemed to imply that anybody suggesting that keeping hold of the ball a bit more would be good, is wrong. :)

Edited by Risso
  • Like 1

His 3rd season here and there is still no structure to our play.

No (intelligent) movement, no idea how to distribute the ball except hoof to tall guy, very little overlapping runs or pressing and no exploiting the opponents weaknesses.

Just sitting back and counter.

Fair enough if he thinks we don't have the players to pull any of these things of, but then you don't go offering players like Gabby or Weimann new contracts.

We weren't guilty of "hoofing it" against Everton. We played the ball very nicely up to their box, particularly in a good 20 minute spell in the first half. The problem was the delivery into the front men wasn't great, but Benteke, Gabby and N'Zogbia equally hampered the midfield with how static they were.

If we're going to have more cutting edge then we need to increase the movement of the front three and mix up the variety of that midfield. It doesn't help that Delph is out, but the likes of Grealish have that guile that we need. He might not do it every game, but he does have "something".

There wasn't ever a 20 minute spell. It was more like a few minutes every now and then.

Has anyone mentioned the stat, possession fans, that Sunderland had more possession than Southampton at the weekend?

I don't imagine they have, for the main reason that it isn't true.  53-47 in Southampton's favour.

Nice story though.

That's annoying. I was going by Football Weekly quoting it.

Retracted! (although Whoscored's match centre backs it up, whereas their overall stats report doesn't. So God knows how they work that one out.)

Not sure there was any need for the condescending last sentence. :thumb:

I thought it important to quash such nonsense entirely.  The "possession fans" bit in your post seemed to imply that anybody suggesting that keeping hold of the ball a bit more would be good, is wrong. :)

Nope. I'm one of them.

I was merely trying (and failing, it seems)  to back up my earlier point that possession in isolation isn't the be all and end all.

Edited by Stevo985

I was merely trying (and failing, it seems)  to back up my earlier point that possession in isolation isn't the be all and end all.

Of course it isn't the ONLY important thing, but our general style of play and results have been rubbish for ages now, and one of the things we do badly is keeping hold of the ball, and passing when we do have it.

• Like 1

Of course it isn't the ONLY important thing, but our general style of play and results have been rubbish for ages now, and one of the things we do badly is keeping hold of the ball, and passing when we do have it.

I don't disagree.

But the way people argue about possession on here you'd think the result was based on that stat alone.

Anyway, it's a moot point as the stat was bollocks.

Although it's probably less than ideal to be averaging 37% possession every game, I'm not overly concerned about it as possession doesn't score goals, However shots on target do.

Having possession also helps to stop the opposition having chances.

Granted, However as above. It's what teams do with the ball when they have it that causes problems, not how long they have it for.

I was merely trying (and failing, it seems) to back up my earlier point that possession in isolation isn't the be all and end all.

I don't disagree.

But the way people argue about possession on here you'd think the result was based on that stat alone.

Anyway, it's a moot point as the stat was bollocks.

Its a fact that teams finishing higher in the league have more possession over the year. So while it might not effect one result it clearly has an effect on results over a season.

• Like 3

The main point is that for the past 2 plus seasons for whatever reason the football isn't good enough! Whether it be possession, shots on target, shots off target, goals scored, goals conceded, money spent, etc etc!! Not good enough!!

Lambert has to take a lot of the blame and he has had enough time to change the style/tactics however he seems incapable of doing so!

A lot of people on here got all excited over the first four games but now the reality bites Lambert is not good enough to take us forward he will only hold us back.

And now Lerner the Inbred buffoon has us tied to this blithering idiot for 4 years!

Taxi for Mr Fox!

• Like 2

The main point is that for the past 2 plus seasons for whatever reason the football isn't good enough! Whether it be possession, shots on target, shots off target, goals scored, goals conceded, money spent, etc etc!! Not good enough!!

Lambert has to take a lot of the blame and he has had enough time to change the style/tactics however he seems incapable of doing so!

A lot of people on here got all excited over the first four games but now the reality bites Lambert is not good enough to take us forward he will only hold us back.

And now Lerner the Inbred buffoon has us tied to this blithering idiot for 4 years!

Taxi for Mr Fox!

7 whole years of Lambert's brand of football to enjoy.  Oh my, shifting tickets is going to take some doing.

• Like 1

Although it's probably less than ideal to be averaging 37% possession every game, I'm not overly concerned about it as possession doesn't score goals, However shots on target do.

Having possession also helps to stop the opposition having chances.

Granted, However as above. It's what teams do with the ball when they have it that causes problems, not how long they have it for.

Going by the amount of shots we've had and goals we've scored this season, it shows that we generally do **** all when we do have it.

• Like 2

Low possession stat is just a symptom, not the cause.

Possibly true....but if you havn't got the ball you can't start the process.

There is always an exception to every rule, so there will always be the odd win with low possession stats....most of supporting the love of the ball are aware of this.

Just watched LIverpool play a bit better version of being outplayed than us.

• Like 1

Low possession stat is just a symptom, not the cause.

Possibly true....but if you havn't got the ball you can't start the process.

There is always an exception to every rule, so there will always be the odd win with low possession stats....most of supporting the love of the ball are aware of this.

Just watched LIverpool play a bit better version of being outplayed than us.

I was actually trying to say the same thing you did, but failed I suppose. There's more to low possession than just low possession. Low possession is a symptom of poor play and low confidence overall.

• Like 1

Think this comment from Lambert on below article says it all about his style of tactics, Leicester came back from being down against Man Utd to win 5-3 by going Gung-Ho

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-want-play-freedom-7982549

He told the Birmingham Mail that he is looking for more from his attacking players in the coming weeks but admits it has never been his intention to sit back and defend.

“Against the big teams, you can’t go gung-ho,” he said. 

“If you go really gung-ho it can eat you up.
Edited by Villan4Life

Think this comment from Lambert on below article says it all about his style of tactics, Leicester came back from being down against Man Utd to win 5-3 by going Gung-Ho

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-want-play-freedom-7982549

He told the Birmingham Mail that he is looking for more from his attacking players in the coming weeks but admits it has never been his intention to sit back and defend.

“Against the big teams, you can’t go gung-ho,” he said. 

“If you go really gung-ho it can eat you up.

But do you also remember when Chelsea put 8 past us being gung-ho?

Â