Paul Lambert

limpid

Paul Lamberts signings were mostly scouted and picked by Karsa/Culverhouse were they not? or they handled the transfers?

With his team gone.. A lot of his plans go out the window. So will his job.

I don't see why a manager can't change his coaching staff.

yeah he can. But it will take time to find suitable players that will fit our squad.

Paul Lamberts signings were mostly scouted and picked by Karsa/Culverhouse were they not? or they handled the transfers?

With his team gone.. A lot of his plans go out the window. So will his job.

What was Lambert doing when C & K were there? Reading the Beano, eating Monster Munch and drinking Irn Bru all day? Either that or his golf handicap must be very low?

It does make you wonder! By all reports he wasn't hands on in training either.

I found a snippet from 2012 when he first signed on. In the Bham Mail.

"With pre-season training starting next Thursday, he would like to bring in a new scout and recruit Ian Culverhouse and Gary Karsa, who were his assistant and head of football operations respectively at Norwich."

Obviously if he stays he will bring in new people.. but it will take time to trust their judgement and bring in the right players Paul likes. Big set back in his career as a manager. Most managers stick with the same 'team' for their whole careers.

Stupid to sack the best manager since Ron Saunders.

I'd be suprised if you were alive when saunders was our manager with that statement.
I'd be suprised if you are old enough to have learned the meaning of the expression 'rebuilding job'.
Rebuilding or demolition?! Im old enough to have seen many things down the villa and intelligent enough to realise mentioning lambert in the same breath as saunders is just plain stupid.

Is it that Stupid. Saunders was getting criticised a lot before the season we won the league. A lot of the fans thought we were not going anywhere in fact backwards after the wonder season of 76-77 (For this too young a League Cu, 1/4 FA, 4th in Table but beat Liverpool and Arsenal 5-1 We were this Seasons Liverpool that year).

After that Collapse Saunders realised he had to build a team capable of maintaining the whole season. Peter Withe was the famous last bit of the Jigsaw and Capt Dennis had the war cry Its Now or Never before the season.

Yet a lot of fans couldn't get their head around buying a journeyman from Newcastle for a record fee.

Lambert isn't the best since Saunders (Taylor mii, Atkinson, Little, Gregory and ONeil) but he isn't the worst either. Turner, McNeil, Venglos, McNumpty compete for that.

To me Lambert has a lot of promise, he is just working under very restrictive directives.

Cant quite recall but did villa finish out of the top 10 under saunders after 76-77, until we won the title. Did he bring in 18 players- half of them crap.

The bottom line is whether lambert has potential for the future is irrelevant at the moment. What has he has done in the last 2 years that is proof he should be mentioned in the same breath as saunders? Unless im missing the league cup win last season!

I actually like lambert and think in the future he could become a decent manager, but not at villa and not now. Nothing i have seen in 2 years is proof that i may be wrong. Certainly not cutting a wage bill( which has actually been increased). When lambert wins something or brings a higher level consistency then i may change my mind.

I'd be suprised if you were alive when saunders was our manager with that statement.

I was and I agree with him

• Like 2

Lambert has signed a cracking spine to our team guzan-vlaar-westwood-benteke have all been great signings.

Let him build around these!

We have for 2 years as he signed all of them his first window. The result is no progress.

• Like 1

I was and I agree with him
Since Lambert has a similar record of results to Mcleish would you also agree that Mcleish was also our best manager since Saunders?

What is interesting here is that the opinion of fans seems to be so mixed.... We were unanimously in favour of getting rid of McLeish but there is some heated discussions for both sides of the argument for Lambert.... We all want what's best for the club going forward; if he really was that poor then you would think that we would be unanimous again?

Nobody here is happy with the annual struggle for survival but I don't know where the guarantees are that "New Manager = More Successful". I wonder if we would be many places higher if we had changed managers at Christmas?? Changing managers can work (Palace/Sunderland) for example but Di Canio was a masterstroke last year as he kept Sunderland up... He didn't last too long after that... It will be interesting how long into next season Pullis and Poyet last??

You are sitting there with 16, do you twist in the hope that you get a 5? Or do you stick because of the fear of getting a 6? Tough one...

Edited by ben1505
  • Like 1

What is interesting here is that the opinion of fans seems to be so mixed.... We were unanimously in favour of getting rid of McLeish but there is some heated discussions for both sides of the argument for Lambert.... We all want what's best for the club going forward; if he really was that poor then you would think that we would be unanimous again?

Nobody here is happy with the annual struggle for survival but I don't know where the guarantees are that "New Manager = More Successful". I wonder if we would be many places higher if we had changed managers at Christmas?? Changing managers can work (Palace/Sunderland) for example but Di Canio was a masterstroke last year as he kept Sunderland up... He didn't last too long after that... It will be interesting how long into next season Pullis and Poyet last??

You are sitting there with 16, do you twist in the hope that you get a 5? Or do you stick because of the fear of getting a 6? Tough one...

with 16 you stick every time if you like your money ;)

Whilst I don't think we'll ever know what happened with Culverhouse and Karsa 100%, I think that has had some sort of effect, our season could have been dramatically different had we followed the Chelsea and Norwich wins with even just a point a game for the next 6. Right now we'd be mid table and a lot of people would be happier to let Lambert carry on. I know all ifs buts and maybes, still though even just two wins would have seen us on 44 points now and we wouldn't have flirted with relegation again...

Personally I'd let Lambert have one more summer, the first where he doesn't have to sign lots of players in order to have a full squad, and see where we are towards the end of the calender year. If it looks like another battle for survival then it's clear he's failed. Getting rid now is having him do the dirty work and then giving someone else the benefit.

I think its more like we're sitting there with 11 and sticking would be a very foolish move.

After 2 years like the ones we've had I don't think we much choice but to gamble on a new manager being better.

Â