Paul Lambert

limpid

I love how we have some tactical genius' on this site

Loving these kinds of posts at the moment. I wonder if you ever posted this when people had a go at McLeish?
What's that got to do with anything?
The fact is you'll make a sarcastic comment like that for Lambert but I bet when people criticised McLeish you had no problem with it. And he was doing better at this point than Lambert now is.

Why do you compare everything to McLeish?

I couldn't give a shit about how it compares to McLeish under totally different circumstances.

The fact is when you win no one ever mentions tactics, but if you lose or draw then tactics get blamed. Lets be honest your average football fan hasn't got a clue about tactics.

Loving these kinds of posts at the moment. I wonder if you ever posted this when people had a go at McLeish?
The fact is you'll make a sarcastic comment like that for Lambert but I bet when people criticised McLeish you had no problem with it. And he was doing better at this point than Lambert now is.

I couldn't give a shit about how it compares to McLeish under totally different circumstances.

The fact is when you win no one ever mentions tactics, but if you lose or draw then tactics get blamed. Lets be honest your average football fan hasn't got a clue about tactics.

The tactics were still under scrutiny after the Southampton win by a lot of posters on here. Then when these complaints were made, others would shoot them down with the 'you're not even happy when we win' line. 

Yeah but it's just another attempt to belittle those who want Lambert out, because obviously anyone who thinks he isn't doing good enough thinks they could do a better job themselves, better off just to ignore.

I don't think he's doing a good enough job so I obviously think I could do better?

The tactics were still under scrutiny after the Southampton win by a lot of posters on here. Then when these complaints were made, others would shoot them down with the 'you're not even happy when we win' line.

The tactics were spot on in that game though.

The tactics were spot on in that game though.

In your opinion. For me personally, I don't mind when we do play counter attacking football but not to that level of negativity as it was against Southampton. Say the Arsenal game, that would be an example of Lambert getting counter attacking tactics spot on for me. 

Come on guys, we need to stick with Lambo and the team for the remaining games. This is the toughest job in England.

It is a tough job and I don't doubt that Lambert is doing his very best. I also feel he has been dealt a very poor hand in terms of finances. However much the same as McLeish who was also dealt a poor hand in terms of finances and I also didn't doubt was doing his best unfortunately Lamberts best is not good enough.

Whilst acknowledging that Lerner is extremely culpable in where we find ourselves just as I couldn't put up an argument for McLeish to stay I can't put up an argument for Lambert. He has assembled the worst squad of players I have seen since we were last relegated, he has overseen some of the poorest results and worst runs of form in our entire history. He has had us playing some terrible football not only lacking in any kind of technical ability but lacking organization, direction and lately effort and desire.

I wanted Lambert and continued backing him totally until mid way through this season. I was desperate for him to succeed. He needs to see out this season as a sacking now could do more harm than good but come the end of the season he sadly needs to go. For the remaining time he is here though at least until we are safe we all need to continue to give our full support to the team and hope that unlike recently they show the determination and all out effort required to see us safe.

I don't often disagree with you Mark - my only concern is given the state of the current squad - and the finances available - who is going to come in ? - Your talking Nigel Adkins, Malky Mackay , Di Matteo - to my mind we struggle who ever the manager is, whilst Lerner holds the purse strings........things look worse now because of the injury's to Kozak and Benteke - either of those two fit and I feel we would have a few more points on the board....

This is actually really true. Who can we attract as a club? If those are the alternatives we might just stick with Lambert..

Sticking with a poor manager because you can't be sure the alternatives are any better? We might as well just get relegated now. Lambert may have had to work with financial restrictions but that doesn't excuse poor tactics, lack of a cohesive plan on the pitch, lack of desire and drive and poor organisation. The football served up now is awful.

Pulis and Allardyce would get more out of this squad than Lambert. They'd make us work harder, be more organised and have more of a gameplan. Sure, it might be agricultural but it wouldn't be as awful as the dross we are serving up now. 

Lambert has to go at the end of the season, takeover or not. If we don't get taken over then we need a manager who can organise us and squeeze more out of the limited squad we have and if we do get taken over, then we need a new top class manager. Either way, Lambert has to go. 

Pulis and Allardyce are anti football, I would be against them from day one. Where have our ambiton gone?

Look at our last 5 games. Where has our heart and soul gone? 

So Mcleish was able to bring in 3 players on approx 140,000 per week wages in 1 transfer window but people are claiming that he was held back by finances similar to Lambert??   Mcleish took over a squad full of experienced players and was given transfer funds to sign 3 more experienced players(none have worked out) and he played crap football every week!  Lambert has been restricted into signing young unproven players on max 20,000 per week while been told to get the high earners out of the club.  Their is no comparison between the two managers, Lambert has been restricted through his tenure as Villa manager and it's obviously affected him as a manager while Mcleish had every chance to make us better but was just a shit manager.   

Seriously comparing them two is like night and day!  So many people just don't want to accept the bigger picture here or are just can't see it.  

• Like 2

Come on guys, we need to stick with Lambo and the team for the remaining games. This is the toughest job in England.

It is a tough job and I don't doubt that Lambert is doing his very best. I also feel he has been dealt a very poor hand in terms of finances. However much the same as McLeish who was also dealt a poor hand in terms of finances and I also didn't doubt was doing his best unfortunately Lamberts best is not good enough.

Whilst acknowledging that Lerner is extremely culpable in where we find ourselves just as I couldn't put up an argument for McLeish to stay I can't put up an argument for Lambert. He has assembled the worst squad of players I have seen since we were last relegated, he has overseen some of the poorest results and worst runs of form in our entire history. He has had us playing some terrible football not only lacking in any kind of technical ability but lacking organization, direction and lately effort and desire.

I wanted Lambert and continued backing him totally until mid way through this season. I was desperate for him to succeed. He needs to see out this season as a sacking now could do more harm than good but come the end of the season he sadly needs to go. For the remaining time he is here though at least until we are safe we all need to continue to give our full support to the team and hope that unlike recently they show the determination and all out effort required to see us safe.

I don't often disagree with you Mark - my only concern is given the state of the current squad - and the finances available - who is going to come in ? - Your talking Nigel Adkins, Malky Mackay , Di Matteo - to my mind we struggle who ever the manager is, whilst Lerner holds the purse strings........things look worse now because of the injury's to Kozak and Benteke - either of those two fit and I feel we would have a few more points on the board....

This is actually really true. Who can we attract as a club? If those are the alternatives we might just stick with Lambert..

Sticking with a poor manager because you can't be sure the alternatives are any better? We might as well just get relegated now. Lambert may have had to work with financial restrictions but that doesn't excuse poor tactics, lack of a cohesive plan on the pitch, lack of desire and drive and poor organisation. The football served up now is awful.

Pulis and Allardyce would get more out of this squad than Lambert. They'd make us work harder, be more organised and have more of a gameplan. Sure, it might be agricultural but it wouldn't be as awful as the dross we are serving up now. 

Lambert has to go at the end of the season, takeover or not. If we don't get taken over then we need a manager who can organise us and squeeze more out of the limited squad we have and if we do get taken over, then we need a new top class manager. Either way, Lambert has to go. 

Pulis and Allardyce are anti football, I would be against them from day one. Where have our ambiton gone?

Look at our last 5 games. Where has our heart and soul gone? 

I agree that Lambert should go, but I wouldn't by any means want to have Pulis and Alladyce as an replacement. I don't know about your generation, and your football style preferences, but i want my team to play more a modern, attacking style, kind of like Southampton does. I might get stick for this, but I'd rather go down and play soem exciting football than scraping for relegation each year with negative football.

They probably haven't. But like I said you make a sarcastic comment because you like Lambert but I'm sure never made such comments when people criticised McLeish.

Oh I don't want Pulis or Allardyce, I was just using them as an example.in how far we've fallen in that they would be an improvement on the current man in charge.

My generation - cheeky bugger!  :P

However, i'd never accept relegation playing nice football

Well said.

The whole 'what more do you expect we're 10th" looks pretty stupid now.

Oh I don't want Pulis or Allardyce, I was just using them as an example.in how far we've fallen in that they would be an improvement on the current man in charge.

My generation - cheeky bugger!  :P

However, i'd never accept relegation playing nice football

I can see your point, but personally I haven't  enjoyed watching us, for a long, long time. Thats what it's about right? Looking forward to your favorite team play?

Why do you compare everything to McLeish?I couldn't give a shit about how it compares to McLeish under totally different circumstances.The fact is when you win no one ever mentions tactics, but if you lose or draw then tactics get blamed. Lets be honest your average football fan hasn't got a clue about tactics.

Rubbish.

Why does the Southampton game continually get brought up as a game we were poor in then?

Fact is people get arsey and and respond with condescension when wins get bought up as an example of a poor performance.

Well said.

The whole 'what more do you expect we're 10th" looks pretty stupid now.

Yeah, i don't understand it. Why isn't it allowed to be critical even when we win games?

I think all in all we can conclude that we've been absolutely rubbish all season apart from the first two games where we looked strangely like an actual team - competitive, hungry, organised and frightening on the counter. Other than a few bits here and there (Chelsea at home, Liverpool away) it's hard to take how it's so drastically fallen apart.

The death of our midfield

You only have to look at the fact Steven Davis a player deemed 'not good enough' by O'Neill, was head an shoulders above our entire midfield, surprising since he is about 4ft.

Barry and later Milner were never out and out attacking central midfielders although clearly that had some creative attributes. They weren't Nobby or Merson.

But once they had gone and were not replaced, we were left with Stan - a great servant but more a DM than creative midfielder.

His retirement and then McCleish and Lambert's refusal to actually buy or give any creative players a chance has been one of the biggest contributing factors to our decline.

Bannan and Ireland were the last midfielders we had that tried to put some intelligence in our midfield, ok Bannan was mostly awful and Ireland didn't work out (although he's done fine at Stoke). But Lambert could have brought in players in those positions by now but has consistently ignored that area. He could have given Carruthers a go at the very least?

Even if Zog was fit i don't believe he would start often under Lambert, I also don't know where his best position is.

Lambert put all his backing in our three man counter attacking system, but once that fell apart he has been clueless how to adopt a difference approach.

Even yesterday with no Benteke, Kozak or Holt playing, Guzan kept hoofing the ball straight back to the opposition as there was no one there to hold the ball up, as did Vlaar (who otherwise played well) and Baker. At times Alby did the same thing, get the ball and hoof it to some imaginary runner that never made the run.

I really hope Gordo and Given are able to instil a bit of movement and passing intelligence to our play.

• Like 1

I agree that it's strange that McLeish got as much stick, when he arguably did a likewise or a better job than Lambert.

I think the point was\is that we knew what the very best outcome for a good Mcleish team would (about 11th playing awful football)

It was hoped through last season - that we hadn't seen a good Lambert team - so people cut him slack - they hoped a top end Lambert would be better. However things have remained pretty poor for most of the season - with no (or very little) improvement - Lambert can really have no complaints - Im not going to defend him to the hilt, but I struggle to see much better under a new manager - who will just bring a different set of shortcomings.

Â