Paul Lambert

limpid

Does that guy Hodgson think he can write a report on Villa because he spends a lot of money or does he actually have a role at the Club ?

If the former I am glad he was told to sling his hook - proportionate to our wages there are many of us that spend as much - where does he get off offering his  - very personal - assessments to the powers that be then getting annoyed because they don't want to know.

As it happens I do agree with a bit, particularly the need for someone, if it was the right person, to have a football role - Graham Taylor the obvious choice but also disgaree with some - but that isn't the point - what a self important so and so he must be !!

Is there any player that Lambert has bought who hasn't gone backwards since last season?

I don't think his purchases have done that bad.

El Ahmadi has improved a little and Vlaar has improved a lot.

Lowton and Sylla have admittedly gone backwards

Westwood at the very least hasn't declined IMO

Bennett's been injured for most of the season

Benteke's a strange one. He has declined but I think some of the factors are out of Lambert's control.

Too early to judge this summer's signings.

Is there any player that Lambert has bought who hasn't gone backwards since last season?

Benteke's a strange one. He has declined but I think some of the factors are out of Lambert's control.

Guzan and Delph too, Clark for sure and maybe even Baker

• Like 1

I'm sure plenty of fans write in with their views. It's not like it's a new concept.

Yeah no problem withthat it just seemed to read as if he had an authority - or expected to be treated as such.

Anyway.......................................

I will give you Guzan, but did he didnt sign Delph, Clark or Baker.

I will give you Guzan, but did he didnt sign Delph, Clark or Baker.

Sorry I thought you meant players who have improved in general, my bad.

So 8 signings if we include Guzan.

One has improved alot

One has improved and one has improved a bit

One has stayed about the same (no improvement)

Two have gone backwards and one has gone back quite a bit.

One is injured.

The younger players seem to have stood still or got worse.

KEA is the poster boy for just how rubbish our midfield is these days I'm afraid, he's had some decent away games but is just rubbish everytime at Villa Park.

I do think on the whole though Lambert gets a lot of unfair stick over his signings, for example Bacuna at under 1m has done well and I think could be a good premier league midfielder in a year or two.

KEA is the poster boy for just how rubbish our midfield is these days I'm afraid, he's had some decent away games but is just rubbish everytime at Villa Park.

I do think on the whole though Lambert gets a lot of unfair stick over his signings, for example Bacuna at under 1m has done well and I think could be a good premier league midfielder in a year or two.

There's a very good chance we won't be in the Premier League in a year or two!

But the stick Lambert gets is very fair in my book.  He's mostly bought a right load of old dross.

People saying what a waste of resources bringing in Kozak (and subsquently Holt) as we didn't need a forward. Yet at the moment we are really struggling to put our chances in the back of the net. Due to a lack of an in form forward.

Our problem is deeper than that. And we have a really good striker, someone who is way too good to play for our team. We said in the summer that he should stay so that he could bolster his chances for Belgium before the WC, but as it turns out he would have had a much bigger shot if he had left for a bigger club when he handed in the request for a transfer.

Christian Benteke is a very good striker, and lightyears ahead of every other player we have in terms of ability. To use the old example again, even Falcao or Van Persie would struggle to score above 15 goals with this team, and by that I mean exceptional strikers who don't always create chances for themselves like Suarez or Ronaldo.

Our problem is our midfield and general lack of attacking momentum. We don't create attacks by playing after set patterns, we score goals after circumstance and errors. All of our players want to score, they want to contribute going forward and the ball is tossed in that direction - eventually it will lead to a goal every now and again. For players like Benteke this is extremely painful to watch, because he knows he has to work on 200% capacity and receive very little in return. When he is off or just plain annoyed by lack of efforts, it looks really bad when watching it and he gets the blame. Sure if he is missing clear chances over time it's his bad, but when chances come by every third game it's not his fault.

I paid attention to our midfield in the game against Cardiff, especially in the first half. When watching better teams you see their midfield players running after the ball when it's going forward, but our players lack the confidence, ability and tactical understanding to do the same. Westwood for example passes the ball to a player like Benteke who is in front of him in midfield, Benteke then pushes it out wide and runs forward. Westwood, instead of taking up space higher up the pitch to create room for others, stand absolutely still and watch what happens. Exactly the same can be said about Delph and the other guy playing in midfield in any given game. This of course leads to Gabby, Benteke and Weimann doing it all on their own, which is practically impossible when they have to attack four defenders in balance, as well as the returning midfielders who have taken their defensive run. If Weimann is already out wide, it's quite impossible to create anything for the two inside the box being guarded by 6-7 players. If we do score from this, it's back to what I mentioned earlier, a mistake by the defense, an error or just plain luck.

It needs to change drastically, because no manager can succeed (on a budget or not) if he doesn't have a single clue how to attack on a football pitch.

Hands up, I've taken the mick out of Papillion the Man. United thread for his ridiciously pro Man. United posts but I think that is a brilliant critique of how we currently attempt to play football and the problems it causes especially with Benteke.

Thanks bro.

I am not pro United at all; I am just pro-football, I like traditions and history. I just don't have the hate for United like everyone else because of how they have built their success, but I do hate the fact that clubs like Man City and Chelsea can buy their way and catch up with 20 years of success in a matter of a few windows. Laughing at United right now is basically laughing at ourselves. Before City were taken over we were much better than them and they took Barry and Milner from us, they basically ruined our chances of challenging the top guns. Now Mourinho goes out to say City is the real villain compared to Chelsea and that he is basically playing with scraps in the market, which again is obviously taking the piss out on clubs like Villa. I also respect Moyes for what he did at Everton and I think it merited a move to a bigger club, again, he and his former club are built on sound values and traditional operation like 99% of the clubs unfortunate not to have an Arab sheik controlling the finances. That's all! As for Moyes' job at United thus far, it has been atrocious. He just isn't charismatic enough, he doesn't possess that natural respect from players and his tactics are not suited for the club.

When talking tactics and Paul Lambert, it's much about the same I'm afraid. Not every manager can be Jose Mourinho in suiting every single tactic for every single game, he is obviously the best in the game when it comes to nullifying the opposition. On Sunday we will play Norwich, a team Lambert knows very well and a team everyone knows very well. They have scored a measly 20 goals in 27 games, which makes us look like Real Madrid in comparison. It will be VERY interesting to see how we attack in this game, if we can create some momentum and create clear-cut chances. If we go through this game and just grind it out 50/50 I will be very disappointed, because it would mean we are unable to take on teams. I want fluid football and forward runs from our midfielders, creating trouble for Norwich with our tempo. I mentioned the stationary midfielders we currently have, and I don't want to see Westwood just standing in the circle whilst the ball is in their box. Against Cardiff (I think) we had a promising attack on the way, and he just stood still watching the game unfold. He didn't take up room, he didn't mark any players or get ready for what happens next, he just stood there. That's suicide, and I wonder if that's his own idea or a tactical thing from Lambert. Both options are worrying, to say the least.

Norwich suck at going forward, they never score goals and it means we can attack them to finish the game off without thinking too much about them punishing us. As usual, I won't be expecting much - but I think we deserve a good game now. Being a fan is about the illusion of success and hoping for blistering attacks, but laying low and just surviving is not entertaining in the long run and people lose interest. At least I do...

Â