Paul Lambert

limpid

Has anyone got an unbiased summary?

If you see the interview this is unbiased. Again, there was nothing said we did'nt already know. The future of our club is as secret as MI5!

"We will continue to buy shit, sorry, be careful with transfer funds....."

Yes because Lambert really said that...

I missed the beginning but the gist of the interview seemed to be around him being at the club for some time yet. He didn't think we were in any trouble this season and it was nothing like last season. We need some experience in the squad. That Randy has always been honest with him and he knows there won't be a great deal to spend. A little bit on how the German national side rebuilt after Euro 2000.

He came across well in all fairness, confident and relaxed,  but said nothing we haven't heard before.

This strawman that 'because people accept what's going on rather than moaning constantly about it means they're delighted about it' is really, really irritating.

This.

It's the old "black and white" thing again.

Just because I'm not **** furious at everything Lambert and/or Lerner does, means I must be delighted with everything?

It couldn't possibly be that I see the problems but still back the manager? Nope not that. That means I've "lowered my

expectations"

Nobody supporting the club is happy. Just because some of us see a way out under the current manager doesn't mean we're deluded.

There is a middle ground. Most of us sit there. It's the loud ones at either end of the spectrum that do all the shouting on here. It seems if you don't see the negative in absolutely everything that ever happens at the club at the moment then you're deluded, or you've lowered expectations, or you're making excuses, or you have an agenda.

It must be so **** dull to be that negative.

......but there are guys who sit next to miss piggy in the cinema and think its Cheryl Cole.....so just maybe, maybe some can' t see the lack of progress.....not being rude, just practical.

I see a lot people drawing reference to players and teams from different eras, it is totally different now. Furthermore, It is sickening to see Villa fans write off players at such a young age, it is unlike us.

Detail changes in time , the principles remain much the same.

Aston villa was great team in the 1930's because we attracted good managers who attracted the better players.....what has changed....the relevant stuff is still the same......they wasn't t eating pukka pies in the 30's though, but rattles were all the rage.

The first Aston Villa manager was Jimmy McMullan appointed in the 1934 and he saw us relegated for the first time in our history in the 35/36 season.  Hardly a great manager or a a great Villa team.

That Randy has always been honest with him and he knows there won't be a great deal to spend,

Well that sounds promising for this make or break summer.

He didn't think we were in any trouble this season and it was nothing like last season

Nothing like last season. Well that's rubbish.

Again with this ridiculous 'bigging other teams up'. Let me guess, it's because they're ahead of us in the table? But I thought league position didn't matter? If Newcastle had 4/5 less points right now, they'd be in serious danger. They haven't looked like getting close to winning a game in over a month. 8th/9th/10th is achievable next season. It would have been achievable this year without that awful Christmas run.

And if my aunty had a pair of bollocks she'd be my uncle. All struggling sides have a what if tale to tell. In fact you've just mentioned another. If Newcastle hadn't had such an awful last month or so they'd be pushing for top 6/7.

We are just 4 points above the drop zone because we are a poor side who have served up dross for much of the season.

But that's exactly the same as 'if we weren't lucky against Southampton we'd be in the bottom 3' or 'we didn't deserve to beat City'.

It's all exactly the same bollocks.

I can appreciate that argument but the difference for me is the reason that we had such a shit run over Christmas was that we played to the same standard as we have for 90% of the season but there were not the smash and grab raids in terms of picking up points. It wasn't that we had a blip and started playing poorly. That has pretty much been the case since the first few weeks of the season. The blip is actually when we play well.

I am not in any way solely blaming Lambert by the way for the dross we have served up this season and the fact that we haven't progressed and kicked on. The reasons for that run much deeper and fall on far more shoulders than just one man.

However I gave up a couple of months ago blindly defending the guy and looking for all the excuses under the sun as for why we have been so poor. I rated Lambert highly when he arrived and still more out of hope than expectation think he could come good with more backing. However the reality of what I have witnessed this season means I can at this time no longer defend him. In fact his failure in almost two seasons to come up with a formation/system/style of play to give us at the very least a half decent home record is indefensible.

I believe you would struggle to find any fan more passionate than me about this great club. Come shit or shine I will go to the games back the players and manager 100% whilst the game is on and hand on heart in over 30 years of going can say I have never once booed the players off. It is gut wrenching seeing us struggle and I take no pleasure in pointing the finger at Lambert. In fact I am desperate for him to prove that the fact I was calling for him to be appointed as way back as the arse end of Houlliers reign and that the faith I had in him when he arrived and maintained for the best part of 16 months was justified.

I concur with that

My slight idiosyncrasy mark, is I look at the players more than the league table....when we get too close for comfort at the bottom of course I watch it like a hawk.

My concern with Lambert is the lack of player progression individually and like you, I was pleased with the appointment initially.

I have less confidence as time goes by that it will work for him and us....but like so many on this site I sincerely hope it does.

I see a lot people drawing reference to players and teams from different eras, it is totally different now. Furthermore, It is sickening to see Villa fans write off players at such a young age, it is unlike us.

Detail changes in time , the principles remain much the same.Aston villa was great team in the 1930's because we attracted good managers who attracted the better players.....what has changed....the relevant stuff is still the same......they wasn't t eating pukka pies in the 30's though, but rattles were all the rage.

The first Aston Villa manager was Jimmy McMullan appointed in the 1934 and he saw us relegated for the first time in our history in the 35/36 season.  Hardly a great manager or a a great Villa team.

Perhaps it was a bit earlier...but you know the period.....I just went from memory, without checking....I was more interested in the principle.

This strawman that 'because people accept what's going on rather than moaning constantly about it means they're delighted about it' is really, really irritating.

This.

Just because I'm not **** furious at everything Lambert and/or Lerner does, means I must be delighted with everything?

It couldn't possibly be that I see the problems but still back the manager? Nope not that. That means I've "lowered my

expectations"

Nobody supporting the club is happy. Just because some of us see a way out under the current manager doesn't mean we're deluded.

There is a middle ground. Most of us sit there. It's the loud ones at either end of the spectrum that do all the shouting on here. It seems if you don't see the negative in absolutely everything that ever happens at the club at the moment then you're deluded, or you've lowered expectations, or you're making excuses, or you have an agenda.

......but there are guys who sit next to miss piggy in the cinema and think its Cheryl Cole.....so just maybe, maybe some can' t see the lack of progress.....not being rude, just practical.

that's fine. Like I said, people supporting the manager might be wrong.

Of course we might.

But supporting him doesn't make us deluded or have "lowered expectations". Which appears to be what you get labeled with on here lately if you're not truly disgusted by everything that ever happens.

If you say anything good Big John pops up telling you you're making excuses/lowering expectations/a Lambert apologist/blindly supporting a billionaire or whatever nonsense he's peddling that day

• Like 1

This.

expectations"

that's fine. Like I said, people supporting the manager might be wrong.

Of course we might.

But supporting him doesn't make us deluded or have "lowered expectations". Which appears to be what you get labeled with on here lately if you're not truly disgusted by everything that ever happens.

If you say anything good Big John pops up telling you you're making excuses/lowering expectations/a Lambert apologist/blindly supporting a billionaire or whatever nonsense he's peddling that day

Take your point...no one has a monopoly on the truth...is all opinions

I disagree with John on something's and others I see his point.

Let's face it we are all just frustrated with it all.....he just wants villa good again just like you.

• Like 1

Haha

Of course defending club record lows isn't nonsense is it? That's just being realistic I guess.

But supporting him doesn't make us deluded

But most of the support seems to be based on not much evidence and the fact fans want stability.

You've set your position up well. Basically you've allowed yourself to continue to have a go at people with negative views but if things go wrong still say you're not happy. Well played sir.

That Randy has always been honest with him and he knows there won't be a great deal to spend,

This is the part of the interview I find interesting. I wonder how true this is? If this is the case then surely the club is up for sale.

Yup and we can get someone in to run it properly but not spend any money. Because thats what we all want, just someone to run the club properly.

Â