Paul Lambert

limpid

villalad, what do you think of our current squad?

Benteke is overrated because of Hazard. Overall they're League 2 quality, they'll finish 10th in the Premier League at best.

Why did you steal, exactly what i were about to say?

But seriously, well. isn't it quite obvious, i don't think i can say anything other than what we already know.

We are currently 3 good players away from having an top 8 lineup, 2 central midtfielders and a right back, also a left back if we dont sign Bertrand permanent.

But that in itself isn't enough for being a top 8 side, we need more depth in our squad, so yes we are FAR away from having a top 8 squad, period.

You forgot the new manager bit as well.

You can only judge Lambert on how the team has performed under his stewardship so far and it has generally been poor.

But it has improved on what we had before and is gradually continuing to. Edited by Wainy316

So you think another manager would be able to get us top 8 with our current budget? Okay then.

Unlikely. However, people would suggest other managers are capable of having the same results with better football on display.

So is Lambert as was shown at the end of last season and in flashes this season. Why he has us playing like he is now baffles me.

At the end of a season and in flashes of another season isn't good enough for some people, who would like to see some good football more often than in flashes. 

So you think another manager would be able to get us top 8 with our current budget? Okay then.

Unlikely. However, people would suggest other managers are capable of having the same results with better football on display.

So is Lambert as was shown at the end of last season and in flashes this season. Why he has us playing like he is now baffles me.

At the end of a season and in flashes of another season isn't good enough for some people, who would like to see some good football more often than in flashes. 

Of course we would but until this season we were all pretty sure Lambert's philosophy was that of 'we'll score more than you'.  There must be a reason he's doing what he doing at the moment and I'm confident it is only a transition.  At the end of the day he has gradually improved us on a shoe string and there is not enough of a case to even consider removing him from his post.

Paul Lambert for me represents a very interesting debate and you can tell from the posts that this board is well and truly split.

For me I see the merits in both camps, not trying be compliant, but thats, where I am.

For the Defence : Paul Lambert is 44 years old, in football managers terms quite young and he is clearly still learning. Aston Villa has gobbled up and spat out managers with more experience  than Paul Lambert and in my view he has one horrendous task of clearing out high earners whilst maintaining our premier League Status.His job cannot be completed if you are at war with internal personnel, Paul seems to have a good working relationship with Key people like Randy Lerner and Paul Faulkner, don't underestimate how important that aspect is, it is crucial for harmony and a togetherness that breeds success. Paul has proved elsewhere that he is capable of building something and it appears on the whole he has the dressing room on his side. When he does have funds, he doesn't procrastinate, he moves quickly, that gives me the impression he knows what he wants, a good decision maker in the transfer market is paramount to the overall success of the club, "don't wait for the meat to go off" strike quickly and precisely. Paul Lambert also seems unflappable, keeps calm under pressure and maintains his dignity whilst showing an animated front, good balance for me. He appears to be a likeable guy unlike O'Leary a manager i suspect most want to succeed. With the funds likely to be available I see Paul as a good fit for our club providing he can find players to go in to Phase 2 and make that necessary difference for the better. I have heard him speak before the Dortmund/Munich Final and was most impressed, doesn't do it enough.He has proved he can beat big teams on his day, now to prove the consistency. good away form in general

For the Prosecution :Don't yet see Paul as a budding Graham Taylor, Jose Mourinho or a budding Bobby Robson not sure he will be a Robeto Martinez eitherI find his after match analysis unsophisticated and spartan, lacks depth and understanding of the game to share with us, he might be aware, but does not come across with conviction. He has had funds to play with but to date has had to spread those funds across too many players, he has had mixed success with them. Not sure so far if he has given any direct indication that he will be the Manager we hope he will, due to focussing on club matters as opposed to team matters. Despite some encouraging Results, seems to be finding it difficult to find good performances and a quality of football ,so far. I would like to see a bit more of a ruthless streak when players are not responding to instructions or are not having any effect on a game, seems a bit easy going for me at times. Paul is not a great communicator to the fans and I think that is regretful as I think it is an opportunity lost on both parties. For me so far, he has not demonstrated enough desire to take on the big boys, I would like to see a bit more in his animation of "let me at em". I want to see a bit more conviction in his comments, referring to when this austerity programme is over.... not too cocky, but convinced we will cause some damage....I want to see a chest out, front foot, so far its been well and truly in the shell. There have been times when on the back of good results that poor results have followed days later, needs to show a case of improvement on this score, good stuff just drains through a sieve too easily. Poor home form .

The time right now is not right to be considering his future, he has cleared up some shit, that others have conveniently left for him and in that respect he has done a good job for the board. He deserves his reward for that.

He now has to do a job for the fanbase and in that respect his job is just starting, only then will we know, whether he can manage this club in its entirety or not....Many have failed, but some young managers like Brian Little and John Gregory have done well...... so its do able.

He can take heart from Brendan Rodgers and Martinez who are young managers (doing well) he has been aligned/compared with from his Norwich exploits....For me his job starts now.

If he gets it right it will be a GREAT JOB....This club of ours can be a GREAT JOB and it is up to him, given the funds to make it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Lambert isnt really overhyped is he? Most people can see he's a half decent manager and i dont see anyone claiming hes a lot more than that.

May I direct you to the posts of "Richard" and "Gentleman" when you have a quiet moment. Serious Lambert love on display there!

And I tell you what to make your searching easier and to please posters who continually want to dig at me for the comment I'll post my belief here again that I think he is the best managerial appointment we have made in the last 30 years and out of all the managers in this division there are perhaps only 3 or 4 I would take here above him.

• Like 4

Lambert isnt really overhyped is he? Most people can see he's a half decent manager and i dont see anyone claiming hes a lot more than that.

May I direct you to the posts of "Richard" and "Gentleman" when you have a quiet moment. Serious Lambert love on display there!

And I tell you what to make your searching easier and to please posters who continually want to dig at me for the comment I'll post my belief here again that I think he is the best managerial appointment we have made in the last 30 years and out of all the managers in this division there are perhaps only 3 or 4 I would take here above him.

I like your conviction, fair play fella

• Like 2

I really wish the Villa fans with a sense of perspective could drown out the whingers in the Holte on match days.

I am always loathed to criticise fans who generally get behind the team vocally....these guys work hard in my book. Old fogies like me who don't boo, but sit and analyse ain't much help when a games on.

They may not possess the calmness of thought and the "bigger picture" is not always what they are looking for, but the emotion they give out, you could bottle it and sell it.....I love em!!! warts and all.

I understand, where you are coming from Wainy, but its as much up to the team to get 'em going and stop 'em whingeing.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Has anyone commented on the fact that we were trying to buy a player for €10mil in the summer but couldn't tie the deal up? I can't look forward on the forum atm, on my phone. I think it's great we're going for players of that value but I'm trying to understand whether we ran out of time, whether Lerner didn't cough up enough funds for wages, if the player wasn't convinced by Lambert/ the club/ the area, or what it would have been? Has anybody had any insight?

I really wish the Villa fans with a sense of perspective could drown out the whingers in the Holte on match days.

Do you actually mean that you really wish the Villa fans who are prepared to pay good money and watch dross most weeks would be more vociferous than those who have had enough after nearly four seasons of crap being foisted upon them? 

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 1

Do actually mean that you really wish the Villa fans who are prepared to pay good money and watch dross most weeks would be more vociferous than those who have had enough after nearly four seasons of crap being foisted upon them? 

As per usual the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

While people are completely entitled to say whatever they want because they pay their money, there is certainly an element of moaning for the sake of moaning at match days from some fans. I hear some right lines around me. Makes me laugh to be fair. Some fans just dislike some players regardless of what they actually do. Likewise, there will be some fans that defend a player to the hilt.

Do actually mean that you really wish the Villa fans who are prepared to pay good money and watch dross most weeks would be more vociferous than those who have had enough after nearly four seasons of crap being foisted upon them? 

there is certainly an element of moaning for the sake of moaning 

Yet another boring press conferance. Just compare his enthusiasm in press conferances with the likes of Martinez, Solskjaer etc.

Case in point :D

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Do you actually mean that you really wish the Villa fans who are prepared to pay good money and watch dross most weeks would be more vociferous than those who have had enough after nearly four seasons of crap being foisted upon them?

Like it or not football fans are fickle, at 2-0 down to Albion fans were understandably frustrated, however a minority by me were slating Lambert, however those same fans were singing his name after the game.

Â