Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

"Suspended" DQ.

Basically means if they do anything else, they're gone.

Critically it only means inside the stadium, as UEFA have no jurisdiction outside.  So basically Russians if you're gonna fight, do it in the streets and bars and you should be fine *rolly eyes*.

I was so impressed with Italy....their game plan and approach suits tournament football perfectly.

They play as a team, they have the defensive DNA that few countries of the world can match, they are like the "spider to the fly" they exactly when to break and counter attack, there tactics are amazing.....you write them off at your peril.

Belgium to me proved that offensive talent alone is left wanting, they play as individuals largely and pay secondary attention to the defensive side of the game.....its easy on the eye, but is punished when they meet teams as durable as Italy.

If we( Aston Villa) want to get back to winning things again, we could do worse than watch and digest the machine like efficiency of how Italy nullify the opposition, press, close you down and strike when the opposition is consumed with frustration.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, Craigy1874 said:

Handy that we have an 'Italian' manager then...

Swiss.

rwVGW.gif

* Everyone loves a smartass ;) 

I cannot wait for todays game!!! This is too much for me. Straight after work going downtown, the whole country will be there (except for the 10% that are in France!).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bose said:

I cannot wait for todays game!!! This is too much for me. Straight after work going downtown, the whole country will be there (except for the 10% that are in France!).

Today I am an Iceland fan.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bose said:

Good luck mate. :thumb:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Critically it only means inside the stadium, as UEFA have no jurisdiction outside.  So basically Russians if you're gonna fight, do it in the streets and bars and you should be fine *rolly eyes*.

This was what i was explaining to the guys at work. Basically they can still attack English or any other fans in Lille, as long as it is not at the ground they are fine. This is why I was surprised that the initial headlines after the trouble on Saturday were England and Russia face DQ, when English fans had little to do with the violence in the stadium. Greg Dyke pretty much quashed that straight away, fair play to him on that.

Also, they are not going to kick Russia out. How would they work out the third placed teams to not qualify if Russia don't complete all of the games. It would throw a spanner in the works.

I have put a bet on Ronaldo as tournament top scorer due to the relatively easy group Portugal are in, so I am hoping he will bag a few in the group stages to give me a chance of some winnings. It goes against my general feelings, as generally I can't stand the prat.

6 minutes ago, NeilS said:

This was what i was explaining to the guys at work. Basically they can still attack English or any other fans in Lille, as long as it is not at the ground they are fine. This is why I was surprised that the initial headlines after the trouble on Saturday were England and Russia face DQ, when English fans had little to do with the violence in the stadium. Greg Dyke pretty much quashed that straight away, fair play to him on that.

Also, they are not going to kick Russia out. How would they work out the third placed teams to not qualify if Russia don't complete all of the games. It would throw a spanner in the works.

There are various different solutions around a scenario where they're kicked out.  Varying degrees of messy, but it would work out alright.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I was so impressed with Italy....their game plan and approach suits tournament football perfectly.

They play as a team, they have the defensive DNA that few countries of the world can match, they are like the "spider to the fly" they exactly when to break and counter attack, there tactics are amazing.....you write them off at your peril.

Belgium to me proved that offensive talent alone is left wanting, they play as individuals largely and pay secondary attention to the defensive side of the game.....its easy on the eye, but is punished when they meet teams as durable as Italy.

If we( Aston Villa) want to get back to winning things again, we could do worse than watch and digest the machine like efficiency of how Italy nullify the opposition, press, close you down and strike when the opposition is consumed with frustration.

I have Italy in the work sweepstake, so I was keen to watch the game last night. I too was impressed, they can mix up the tempo of their attacks well, they still defend extremely well, and there were only a couple of dodgy moments towards the end where they looked in danger. They are also not afraid to take a tactical yellow for the team, they know how to play a tournament. One thing they will have to watch out for is suspensions, they picked up quite a few yellows towards the end which may cost them later on down the line.

Belgium were exactly as I thought they would be. Wilmotts has taken them about as far as he is going to take them, if they want to progress they will need a better manager in charge who can get that extra bit out of them.

One of the guys at work put a bet on Lukaka as tournament top goalscorer, and I told him he had wasted his money before the match. He did nothing to prove me wrong yesterday. He is good against mediocre defenses, a flat track bully so to speak. In the tournament he will be up against better defences and his touch is not good enough in my opinion. He may still prove me wrong, but I don't think he will.

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

There are various different solutions around a scenario where they're kicked out.  Varying degrees of messy, but it would work out alright.

I guess it would depend on the timing of the trouble, and what the knock on effect on the games still to be played.

Hopefully though, we won't find out as the trouble makers have hopefully dispersed and we won't see any more major issues.

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

I guess it would depend on the timing of the trouble, and what the knock on effect on the games still to be played.

Hopefully though, we won't find out as the trouble makers have hopefully dispersed and we won't see any more major issues.

This article goes through 4 of the possibilities.

Russia have been handed a suspended disqualification from Euro 2016 by UEFA. The consequences on a full ban could even impact Ireland's chances of making the knock-out stages.

It means that, if Russian fans cause any more trouble inside the stadium, they will be turfed out of the tournament entirely.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BOF said:

This article goes through 4 of the possibilities.

Russia have been handed a suspended disqualification from Euro 2016 by UEFA. The consequences on a full ban could even impact Ireland's chances of making the knock-out stages.

It means that, if Russian fans cause any more trouble inside the stadium, they will be turfed out of the tournament entirely.

Yeah that article more or less sums up what I was thinking, a right mess on a number of levels and one Uefa will hope to avoid at all costs. Imagine the arguments if your team is knocked out on a technicality based on the top three options Only option 4 of those is a fair option, as all of the first three affect others unfairly.

Whether the logistics of that 4th option could be achieved in a short time frame is the big question. There would be a small window to get it sorted, ticketing, organising the venue, security and refereeing the matches would be tough to arrange in that time.

Edited by NeilS

I wish they weren't playing the final group games together. I get why they do it in previous tournaments as they see it as an unfair advantage with a team knowing what they need to do to go through - but that's going to happen here, regardless. The teams in group F have an advantage over everyone.

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

Yeah that article more or less sums up what I was thinking, a right mess on a number of levels and one Uefa will hope to avoid at all costs. Imagine the arguments if your team is knocked out on a technicality based on the top three options Only option 4 of those is a fair option, as all of the first three affect others unfairly.

Whether the logistics of that 4th option could be achieved in a short time frame is the big question. There would be a small window to get it sorted, ticketing, organising the venue, security and refereeing the matches would be tough to arrange in that time.

I think in reality, and because of all the reasons you outline above, option 4 is simply a non-starter.  The logistics are enormous.  Even if it's the fairest, it could not be done short of playing the games behind closed doors.  Again, I just don't see that one happening.

Â