Commonwealth Games

hogso

Glasgow- gets the Commonwealth Games

Edinburgh- has already hosted two

Cardiff-has hosted one

Manchester- bid for the Olympics heavily supported by the government. Fails but gets the Commonwealth & Man City get a free stadium

London- Three Olympics hosted & West Ham get a free stadium

Birmingham.........- bids for Olympics with no backing from government and gets sweet FA.

No wonder they always say Brummies are depressed.

To be honest, there was no way Brum was going to win the Olympics.  It would have been a bid lost before it begun.  Nothing to be depressed about.  The Olympics was out of our league.  The question of whether we should get something like the Commonwealth though - when it comes back to the UK it seems the fair choice, assuming we want it of course. 

Yes.... but the only thing is that Birmingham City would get a nice new 45,000 stadium in all probability if that ever did happen. But as Birmingham couldn't even get the UK city of culture (Londonderry anyone?) then I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

Just to throw my tuppence' in on this one. Firstly  Birmingham was never going to get the Olympics.   Manchester was never going to get it either, and after the shitshow which was Atlanta 96 no city which isn't a megacity will get it any time soon. 

I think Brum could host the Commonwealth games if it wanted to, but it's deciding to spend it's money on the "big city plan" instead.   I've said it several times on this forum so I apologise for repeating myself but the rebuilding of Birmingham over the past 15-20 years has been quite incredible, large parts of the centre have changed beyond all recognition and always for the better. I'd rather have that than a couple of weeks of running followed by seeing the Pigdogs get a free stadium. 

Finally the city of culture isn't decided on merit. It's a crutch given to cities which need a bit of help with their image. You don't win it, you are awarded it. Exhibit A is Hull. 

Yes... but should  not have to be a either or. Manchester has also had large amounts of regeneration and also got the Commonwealth Games. And the Media City as well. Birmingham has and will always be seen as unfashionable. Harsh but true. But yes I agree hosting a nice 2 weeks jollys is not the panacea for urban decay.

On a side note, Rod should just should retire.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I ran with the Malawi national team runners the other day. They were passing through Bromsgrove on their way up to the commonwealth games and did a local 10k as a training run. I say I ran with them, they were alongside me for a split second before disappearing into the distance. They ran the 10k (on a hilly course) in a relaxed 30:42 and 30:47. The closest local runner was 34:35.

Honestly, you see some of these athletes on the TV and you just go "meh". Getting up close to them when they're doing their thing and it's often spectacular to watch, completely overwhelms you how far ahead these athletes are of your average joe who goes cycling or running a few times a week. I'm off to the velodrome in a couple days, can't wait.

I ran with the Malawi national team runners the other day. They were passing through Bromsgrove on their way up to the commonwealth games and did a local 10k as a training run. I say I ran with them, they were alongside me for a split second before disappearing into the distance. They ran the 10k (on a hilly course) in a relaxed 30:42 and 30:47. The closest local runner was 34:35.

Honestly, you see some of these athletes on the TV and you just go "meh". Getting up close to them when they're doing their thing and it's often spectacular to watch, completely overwhelms you how far ahead these athletes are of your average joe who goes cycling or running a few times a week. I'm off to the velodrome in a couple days, can't wait.

I know what you mean. I was doing a decent pace so these guys didn't absolutely blow me away, but they still overtook me with ease and powered away.

Mo Farah has done a 5k in 12:53. That's almost 4 minute miles (4:08 / mile). I can't run 400m at that pace.

Every World Cup or Euros I say I won't bother watching it... and end up watching virtually every minute.

Every Olympics I say I won't bother watching it... and end up watching virtually every minute.

Every Commonwealth Games I say I won't bother watching it... and I don't bother watching it.

• Like 1

Mens and womens 100m is on Monday night. That is all I will be tuning in for, possibly the relays too.

Bookies must be taking bets on the home nations cocking up the relay. Free money for the punters that.

Ahhh the Cycling, the thing i'm looking forward to the most.

I like to imagine how i watch the cycling with us being so dominant in it, is how the likes of Germany and Spain feel when watching football :lol:

• Like 1

John Bercow, the Speaker of the House of Commons, has called for an end to the "shameful" criminalisation of homosexuality in four out of five Commonwealth countries ahead of the Games due to start in Glasgow this week.

The senior MP said it was not right that there might be world-class athletes who will not be able to compete in the Commonwealth Games, as they will have been discriminated against on the basis of their sexuality.

Speaking on the eve of Wednesday's opening ceremony, in a challenge to the UK government and other countries to act, he said: "Shamefully, it is estimated that 4 out of every 5 countries in the Commonwealth criminalise homosexuality. Surely, it is time for the Commonwealth to do more to support lesbian, gay, transsexual and bisexual people, to ensure they are not discriminated against, no matter where they live?"

Bercow, who will attend the Games, said it was a "fantastic sporting occasion" and "wonderful opportunity to celebrate the spirit of the Commonwealth", but suggested the event has been overshadowed by the grouping's poor record on LBGT rights.

David Cameron and Alex Salmond have come under increasing pressure to speak out about the issue, after campaign groups highlighted the fact that 42 out of 53 countries in the Commonwealth criminalise homosexuality. 

Earlier, Peter Tatchell, the equal rights campaigner, urged Salmond to "appeal to all participating countries to adhere to Article 7 of the Commonwealth Games Federation constitution, which prohibits all discrimination".

Tatchell said: "Countries that refuse to support Article 7 – or that perpetuate discrimination in access to sports facilities, training camps or team selection – should be barred from participating in the Commonwealth Games. If they are not prepared to abide by Article 7 they have no right to come to Glasgow or future Commonwealth Games.

"The intensity of homophobia in these countries is so great that it is very unlikely that they would select a LGBTI athlete to compete in Glasgow. I can't imagine homophobic states like Uganda, Brunei or Nigeria selecting a LGBTI athlete. They are more likely to jail them than send them to Glasgow.

"In addition, there is widespread gender and ethnic discrimination in many Commonwealth countries, which also inhibits equal, open and fair selection for the national teams coming to Glasgow."

Guardian

Edited by mjmooney

I hear they have introduced curling as an event in the games

That is absolutely foul, who would want to watch that? In the winter, maybe, but summer?

Anyone know which anthem are England using? I know at past games they've used Land of Hope and Glory, and Jerusalem, so curious what they're using this time. 

Anyone know which anthem are England using? I know at past games they've used Land of Hope and Glory, and Jerusalem, so curious what they're using this time.

They've chosen Jerusalem. Apparently there was a big fight over it though.

• Like 2

Â