Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

Another good episode of Andor today, but I think it suffers a little from being the middle episode in a three-episode arc.

I think the reception would be WAY better if they'd released this three episodes at a time - as it is, they've built up a load of tension and I'm fully expecting the next episode to be absolutely great, but taken in isolation its a lot of a setup and not much payoff (yet). It's a bit frustrating to have to wait a week to see what happens next, and I'll probably have forgotten some of what was so skillfully built up here.

Spoiler

One thing I did not pick up on when I was watching was the lights going out in the prison - because they were using too much power frying floor 2. I tend to have a scan of the reddit posts about the episodes after watching it and there's lots of small details like that which I miss because I'm not very perceptive, but it's really cool that the show is smart enough it doesn't feel the need to scream everything in your face. Same as Cinta blatantly killing all the hostages in Ep6, etc.

Edited by Panto_Villan

Another vote for Andor. Just binged the 1st 9 episodes in 2 days - now I have to wait 😩

Spoiler

The  mom thing is laid on a bit thick though in the home scenes. Seems very much a stereotype of a New York Jewish mother. Perhaps it's not a world-wide known phenomenon but to those in the US it could be an SNL sketch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m basically just repeating myself by now, but I can’t watch a single episode of this show without coming on here to say how freaking excellent it is. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, El Zen said:

I’m basically just repeating myself by now, but I can’t watch a single episode of this show without coming on here to say how freaking excellent it is. 

Yep. 100% agree, its a brilliant show.

• Like 1

i was originally a bit skeptical of where Andor currently is but it's working really well, the Mon story arc too, it feels like its slowed down and taken a big detour, has Luthen been in the last 2 episodes? but it's not suffering for it, they arent falling in to the pitfall of other shows (including disney star wars such as obi wan) where they're creating peril for characters that you know are perfectly fine because it's a prequal or creating drama using characters they havent developed (see spoiler)

still not sold on meero or the bloke though

Spoiler

the death of ulaf in the last episode for example, who he is is insignificant, you're not meant to care or maybe even know who he is, it's what his death signifies and how it drives the main overall plot that's the point, there's no faux emotional attachment to it

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i was originally a bit skeptical of where Andor currently is but it's working really well, the Mon story arc too, it feels like its slowed down and taken a big detour, has Luthen been in the last 2 episodes? but it's not suffering for it, they arent falling in to the pitfall of other shows (including disney star wars such as obi wan) where they're creating peril for characters that you know are perfectly fine because it's a prequal or creating drama using characters they havent developed (see spoiler)

still not sold on meero or the bloke though

Hide contents

the death of ulaf in the last episode for example, who he is is insignificant, you're not meant to care or maybe even know who he is, it's what his death signifies and how it drives the main overall plot that's the point, there's no faux emotional attachment to it

Funny you say that, I think Meera and Syril are two of the best characters. Meera isn’t likeable but I find her very compelling to watch because she’s so competent, and the ISB scenes in general are great. It’s so much better having a ruthless, intelligent, competent Empire as the antagonists (even if they simultaneously humanise them so they’re not all one-note bad guys).

Syril is probably the most interesting character in the show for me. He’s not the coolest to watch, as he’s basically the only main character who isn’t a badass in their own way, but he’s the closest thing to a normal person in the show because he’s relatively unimportant, and I’ve still got no idea where his arc is going which makes him interesting. He’s just as likely to end up a Rebel as he is an ISB Empire zealot imo.

If Syril was a character in a lesser show I’d be concerned he was a waste of space, but the writing has been so good I’m sure all the time spent on him will pay off appropriately.

see i think meera is largely one note baddie is bad, overly ambitious and driven whilst having very little empathy 

agree on syril to an extent, he's got potential to go either way (or just kill his mother...) they can flesh him out more as being broken and having misguided ambition largely driven by false opportunity and being down trodden thanks to the previous generation 

i wouldnt use either of them to criticise the show but i do think they're the weak links for me, they could end up very strongly playing the why would normal people willingly want to join and work for the Nazis Empire card but talk about being overly ambitious....thats some tough writing 

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

see i think meera is largely one note baddie is bad, overly ambitious and driven whilst having very little empathy 

agree on syril to an extent, he's got potential to go either way (or just kill his mother...) they can flesh him out more as being broken and having misguided ambition largely driven by false opportunity and being down trodden thanks to the previous generation 

i wouldnt use either of them to criticise the show but i do think they're the weak links for me, they could end up very strongly playing the why would normal people willingly want to join and work for the Nazis Empire card but talk about being overly ambitious....thats some tough writing 

Hmm. So it's the Empire I said wasn't being portrayed as one-note baddies, by which I mean they do a good job showing how many of the people (particularly the low level staff like the corporate staff in the first few episodes or the judge that Andor sees in ep7) are just normal people doing relatively normal jobs, but collectively that feeds into this massive evil empire. And even most of the actual Imperial officers aren't moustache twirling cartoon villains, they're just people with colonialist views. It's a much more nuanced take than other SW media without downplaying how evil the Empire is.

Obviously Dedra is evil and has little empathy - she's a supervisor at the ISB, so she's one of the best of the best and fully devoted to the Empire. But she's interesting because she's perceptive - she can see the rebellion starting to form, see how the Empire cracking down is just fuelling the flames, and she has her own struggles as the only woman in the room and having to deal with petty backstabbing from less competent colleagues. It was cool seeing her take Blevin down a peg in their meeting a few episodes ago, for example.

Anyway I think it's good for the show to have a ruthless and intelligent antagonist (and it certainly feels like she will be the main antagonist as the show develops), because in lots of the recent Star Wars fare the Empire has just existed as a bunch of mooks for the heroes to easily kill or outwit. It makes things way more tense imo. If you don't find the ISB scenes that interesting then fair enough, tastes are different. I personally think she's a great character to have in the show - if not a particularly sympathetic one most of the time.

• Like 3

I find the ISB really interesting, to an extent I do find her interesting

What I don't like is her stiffness and snarly nature, as I watch it I don't like her facial expressions, mannerisms and tone, that's where I think she's a baddie being bad, even compared to the other ISB officers I find her overly and unnecessarily cold

But like I said it's not a criticism its nit picking

• Like 1

Yeah, a top-class episode. I'm not sure if I preferred the action in Ep. 6 over this one or not; they were both quite different and stick in the mind for different reasons. I'm just sad there's only two more weeks left of this (and then it'll take roughly two years to make the next series).

Spoiler

I was really hoping Kino made it out to join the rebellion like Cassian and his buddy do, even if he then got killed before the end of the series. Andy Serkis was absolutely killing it in the role.

But I think this probably makes more thematic sense. The whole series is about how Andor goes from a self-centered loner to someone willing to give his life for the cause, and losing good people like Kino and Nemik (the manifesto guy back in Ep.6) in the fight against the Empire certainly gives him motive to start seeing the struggle as something larger than himself.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah, a top-class episode. I'm not sure if I preferred the action in Ep. 6 over this one or not; they were both quite different and stick in the mind for different reasons. I'm just sad there's only two more weeks left of this (and then it'll take roughly two years to make the next series).

Hide contents

I was really hoping Kino made it out to join the rebellion like Cassian and his buddy do, even if he then got killed before the end of the series. Andy Serkis was absolutely killing it in the role.

But I think this probably makes more thematic sense. The whole series is about how Andor goes from a self-centered loner to someone willing to give his life for the cause, and losing good people like Kino and Nemik (the manifesto guy back in Ep.6) in the fight against the Empire certainly gives him motive to start seeing the struggle as something larger than himself.

Spoiler

I thought there was a great irony to him reaching the top and escaping and then not being able to swim, maybe that is better writing than killing him or having him sacrifice himself and serkis played it perfectly, the heroism of the escape, the speech, the cruel fate, none of it was overplayed it was perfectly balanced and very good

You could probably say there was a plot hole in that the guards in that block were a bit bumbling and green and should have alerted command earlier... But they established them as being a bit bumbling and green within 5 minutes of the prison being introduced 3 or 4 episodes back

• Like 1

Another good episode

Tow bits at the end reminded me a lot of rogue one

Spoiler

Andor and the sea / sunset

The cruiser scene was like when they had the hammerhead ship where it seems so simple yet it was so cool, it was new and yet totally worked

Feels to me like they're slowly working towards a reveal in the last episode of this half that they've done quite well and I wouldnt mind assuming that the quality of the writing carries over to the 2nd half

Spoiler

Luthen is a jedi

The ramifications to it are huge

• Like 1

As expected it's brilliant, genuinely didn't know which way it would go and the way they do the music as part of the suspense is absolutely **** masterful

TV show of the year for me

And there's an end credit scene which was maybe a bit too much but at least it answered one of my questions from earlier in the series

• Like 3

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

As expected it's brilliant, genuinely didn't know which way it would go and the way they do the music as part of the suspense is absolutely **** masterful

TV show of the year for me

And there's an end credit scene which was maybe a bit too much but at least it answered one of my questions from earlier in the series

The Ferrix funeral band reminded me of Neutral Milk Hotel’s brilliant In the Aeroplane.. album, which I’m sure wasn’t intentional, but it almost made me cry. 

It’s been a sensational series. The finale was absolutely spot on as well. 

• Like 1

Â